Looking for a style that helps complement my feet.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GoldShifter, Mar 19, 2013.

1. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Hi, I'm a second degree black belt in Kajukenbo and my instructor who studied under his dad, learned tae kwon do, and also escrima in addition to Kajukenbo. Our style is a mix of those. The escrima style is Senkotiros by GM Max Pallen Sr.

I'm known in my school as a heavy kicker, I rarely use my hands. I'm looking for a Martial Art that can help put a more heavy emphasis on using my hands. I know that Kajukenbo is a mixed martial art, and that it has a good amount of hand techniques but I am looking for another style. I was looking into starting to compete again, after leaving the competitive scene to focus on school and to also do demonstration team. I'm looking for a style that will help me gain confidence in my hand techniques, because if I am going to compete, my legs might get me by for a couple times, but eventually, everybody and their mom will know how to counter me so I am hoping to find a style that can help me in my striking game with my hands.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: I'm also looking to cut weight so I can fight in a lower weight division. Any tips in cutting weight would also help.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Eskrima has a complete empty hands system, but I'm assuming your looking for something that focuses on punching, so that makes boxing stand out.

Boxing isn't an expensive past time and won't interfere with the other martial training, as you're not confusing katas.

Also if you're looking to compete you'll have the bonus of the extra conditioning boxing gives.

3. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion, I was looking for some boxing gyms this past week and I might look into one soon. I am aware that Eskrima has a complete empty hands system, but they are taught once in a blue moon with us. Our grand master has his own school quite a ways away, so to learn it would require him to visit us and/or one of his lakans to come an guest instruct a class. Oh we compete in NBL, AMAPA, and SKIL.
    Thanks again for your suggestion.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Boxing seems a natural choice.

5. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

If you want to work on your hands boxing has gotta be the best choice?

6. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Yeh boxing mate.

Maybe kickboxing as an alternative, so you don't just focus on upper body while sparring. But I'd guess that already happens in your Kajukenbo classes.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Boxing is great, but what about something that will train you to use your legs to set up your hands and vice versa? Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Savate etc might fit the bill?

Mitch

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Boxing is always a good mix to fma. Another good thing to compliment your kicks? Fma.

9. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

I reckon I would check out Muay Thai. May sit better with what you do already, but with more emphasis on arms.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Boxing would be good training, not only for obvious reasons but boxing is also one of the founding systems that went into Kajukenbo... the art you study. The "bo" is both Chinese boxing and American boxing. Sijo Emperado had studied American boxing and co-founder Peter Choo won many championships in American boxing.

You might also know that co-founder Peter Choo also was attributed to the "ka" in kajukenbo. He brought in Tang Soo Do (Korean "karate") as part of Kajukenbo. What you might not know is that Tang Soo Do referred to Korean striking arts at the time, so this predates Tae Kwon Do, if I understand correctly. I believe it is correct to say that Tang Soo Do is part of the roots of Tae Kwon Do. Anyway, there are some heavy kicking elements in Kajukenbo from the Tang Soo Do part.