Looking for a Silat Dojo in orlando

Discussion in 'Silat' started by SpirtualFighter, Jun 12, 2007.

1. SpirtualFighter

SpirtualFighter New Member

I've only been able to find this one Guru I just wanted to know that what he teaches is not a watered Down version or if anyone knows of a Dojo in orlando.
    He calls he form Combat silat: www.combat-silat.net Please if someone can check him out for me i would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Hi,

I'm from the UK & not involved in any American silat 'politics' so.....

I don't know Guru Stark but I have had a look at his website before & have a copy of his book. I can say that from his writing he has an in depth knowledge of silat.

Also, the pictures and explanations of techniques in his book are certainly silat!

Dr. Phil Daniels also contributes to his website which is a good sign, too.

Other than that, if you live in the area why not just check it out? :confused:

NB. A dojo is Japanese, the silat equivalent is generally known as a gelanggang or perguruan :)

3. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

Guru Stark is an excellen teacher of Pencak Silat. His background is deeply rooted in Pencak Pamur, Jati Wisesa, Sterlak, and Raja Monyet. He has been one of my Guru Silat for a few years now and it is a real blessing when i am able to attend his class. I encourage you to attend his class if possible.

Salam,

Nick

4. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

I believe you're referring to Phil Davies. :)

5. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Spiritual Fighter ... what is a watered down version and how many versions are you aware of? All of silat ... all of any martial art is a version of it's previous manifestation ... watered up or down and sideways :D .

I've looked at the site, and in my opinion it does a good job at advertising. With that in mind, generally it is a good idea to identify what ones aims are and why within that framework one wants to learn silat.
    I'd also point out that they are also open about the influences which make up their style ... so their style of silat (like all styles of silat) is an amalgam of many influences. This is not unique to silat. If you follow the histories of most martial arts you will find that at the genesis of each art there is a tying together of different influences.
    Now, while it may be true that all styles of any martial art is influenced from many quarters, it is also true that some amalgams are not integrated in a coordinated and cohesive way.
    The genius of some styles is how the curriculum is designed to facilitate a steady growth of development and understanding of core principles, to reach a specific aim. The lack of other styles is the haphazard approach, the flashy and irresponsible presentation that has no foundation.

If I were to look for to learn body-mind work in a martial context, and I was unsure of silat in my area, I would choose to do one of the more readily available Chinese or Japanese styles suplemented with European boxing, include a floor gymnastics programme or ballet and meditation. In the end mastery through this route will also be silat.

Salam,
    Krisno

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  6. Gajah Silat

:eek: LOL what a prat I am :eek:

Around the time I was writing, an old 'celebrity wife swap' program was on TV starring the annoying British magician Paul Daniels :eek:

7. SundaWarrior

I assure you Krisno - Guru Stark is not just an advertisor. His curriculum is structured very nicely and incorporates elements of the Silat systems he learned. Taught with the traditional elements of family and brotherhood. Again i encourage anyone who gets a chance to come out to the Orlando area to visit his class.

Salam,

Nick

8. SpirtualFighter

What does this system emphasis ground, strike or trapping? Does one system he incorporates more dominant than others? How long did you train with him SundaWarrior? Does he use and of his kung Fu training in combat silat?

9. Gajah Silat

SpiritualFighter, most styles of Silat do not really 'emphasise' just one aspect of combat. Most styles are open minded to all aspects of combat and generally have an 'answer' for most situations. :)

10. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Stark sounds just the ticket then. :D

11. SundaWarrior

spiritual fighter,

as "gajah" said Silat does not emphasize any one element of fighting - as is the case with Guru Stark's Silat. i have and continue to train with Guru Stark for around 3 years now. i find there is always something new he his able to teach me. Guru Stark's system PSP is primarily Pamur with influences of Sterlak, Jati Wisesa, and Raja Monyet. I believe he studied some kung fu but he does not incorporate it into PSP - i will ask him to clarify though. Since the primary influence of PSP is Pamur there is a broad spectrum of topics covered in PSP including: evasion,masukan(entering w/ hands,feet,etc..), choking,locking,takedowns,harimau,etc...

Hope this helps

Salam,

Bang Nicholas

12. basilek

basilek New Member

Hi Nick,

since your nickname is SundaWarrior, we should call you Kang Nicholas instead of Bang Nicholas.....

A message from Pak Haji, don't forget to practice Jurus and Pancer.... :)

Salam.

13. SundaWarrior

Sorry i thought Bang was Sundanese and Kang was Javanese. Tell the Pak Haji's I am practicing everyday.

Salam,
    Nick

14. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Bang and Kang

Bang is Betawi. Kang is both Jawanese and Sundanese. If your silat is mainly Pamur (a Madurese silat?) then maybe the more appropriate address would be Cak.

Salam hangat, Bram

15. SundaWarrior

Thank you both for the corrections. Indeed a lot of my training has been Maduran Pamur but my passion is for Sundanese Pencak and that is what I train when I travel to Indonesia (ie Cikalong and Panglipur). Unfortunately there aren't very many teachers of Sundanese art here in the US especially in Florida but I am extremely grateful to have Guru Stark here. I believe there are things that can be learned in Eastern Java that you may not find in West Java and vica versa, but the fact remains that Pencak Silat is a family despite geographical boundries.

Salam,

Nick

16. SpirtualFighter

I went to the first Class yesterday it went well. I believe that this system works
    and it flow very nicely. But i need some help. What are some excersices that i can do to make me more proficient in silat i noticed my leg strength and endurance are not up to par.

17. tellner

tellner Valued Member

You could ask your teacher, I suppose...

18. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I have heard nothing but positive comments about him. Just my 02.

19. Gajah Silat

A lot of silat can be hard on the legs :) We can use the legs in a very different manner to most other arts. With time and practice you'll end up with legs of steel ;) Practice your langkah and things will improve, and more meaning will unfold with time. :)

20. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

How very true gajah