Looking For a School

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Aguia, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Aguia

Aguia New Member

I'm looking for a Traditional Muay Thai school, preferably one that isn't centered around MMA. Does anyone have any recommendations near Nashville,TN?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Have you looked at MMA schools that teach MT separately?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

MT is always MT though surely? In teh same way BJJ is always BJJ and you only put it into MMA in an MMA class

There is a lot of "snobbery" and anti-mma sentiment that is frankly misplaced and ignorant. If you find a MT gym it will teach MT - if they also have MMA fighters using it that suggests they teach GOOD MT

4. Aguia

Aguia New Member

5. Mushroom

If it's only 3 schools, any chance of going there and checking them out?

Sometimes when a school advertises as "traditional" or "non-conventional" doesn't mean that they are actually any good at teaching.

Best thing I say is go over to each class (if you have time) and see which ones you find most enjoyable :)

( and then type up the results here on MAP and keep us updated)

6. Aguia

Aguia New Member

That's the plan right now. My hope is that someone will mention another option that I haven't found yet. Three options that all seem to focus on the ring or competitions is what makes me leery. I really like the idea of studying somewhere that isn't focused on turning mma fighters.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you want a good Muay Thai school it will be focused on the ring - it is a ring based art

"Ring" does NOT equal MMA

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im suspicious of muay thai that isnt for the ring.
    muay thai was developed for the ring.
    all the traditions are based around the ring even the pre-fight prayers.

try look for krabi krabong if you want something "more" traditional (muay thai is super traditional as in, its full of traditions)

9. Mushroom

A school is judged on how good their students are. With MT firmly being a competitive ring based sport, that's how they are best seen and advertised.
    You can join any school and not compete.

Also a MT class will be a MT class. Any MMA based striking will be during MMA classes.

10. Aguia

Aguia New Member

I'm not looking for any competitions, I want to train purely for me and the desire to learn. What I understand is that there are two main forms of Muay Thai around me locally: American and Dutch. They are both essentially kickboxing- American works on a 4 point system, Dutch operates on a level between boxing and muay thai. Traditional Muay Thai, at least to me, is a more complete 8 point system. After all, it is referred to as the "Art of eight limbs".

This link provides a few really nice clips of differences as well as outlines the singularities and similarities in each style, http://muaythaipros.com/kickingboxing-vs-muay-thai-different/

I think this may give a better example between them.
    Also, historically this has always been ring based sport however over the years the rules have changed making it more of a competitive sport vs what the Siamese Army trained to defend its people and villages. That part of the history and that part of the art is what I am most interested in.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Drop into all three and take a trial class, and see what the reality of the training appeals to you the most, then assess them for historical MT whilst making your decision.

websites don't always reflect the reality of the training.

12. daggers

daggers Valued Member

There a big "Mc muaythai coach" thing going on all over the world , be aware
    Kickboxers who put on thai shorts, add low kicks and knees/elbows are NOT doing Muay Thai
    They are doing modified kickboxing
    Make sure the coach had plenty of experience fighting or training with renowned thai boxers (and I don't mean a few weeks holiday training at tiger Muay Thai )