Looking for a punchbag

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hi there guys, I am wondering if anybody can help me. I am looking for a punchbag (within the £200 price range tops, preferably <£150) with the following qualities:

- Free-standing
    - 200lbs or more, filled with water or sand
    - Water proof
    - Good enough shape to practice all basic Muay Thai strikes - so it should be upper-cut friendly.

Any sugestions very very welcome. Even links to stores to have a look will be welcome, since I'm a little 'out of the loop' and wouldn't know where to look in the UK.

Thanks!
    Jack

2. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you absolutely have to, go free-standing.

But if you can in any way swing it (geddit? Oh, please yourselves... :) ) you should get a hanging bag; they're just much more versatile.

If it has to be free standing, I think TKD Guy has it covered.

Mitch

4. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I've got to ask. Why free standing? As TKDMitch mentioned the hanging bags are more versitile and usually less costly.

5. Jack

Jack Valued Member

The reason for wanting a free-standing one is that the only surfaces we have for attaching brackets in the house are external walls to the house - I already have a hanging bag, and whenever I whack it into the wall, it reverberates throughout the house and irritates my family to no end. Mind you, the current one IS only about 20-30lbs... so I may as well ask, what are the chances of a 150lb newbie male knocking a 200lb punchbag a full six inches to hit a wall? :p

Also, theres the matter of positioning. The yard where my current punchbag is is filled with things my parents want to keep, so I have no real room. I could get a freestanding one on the lawn, with plenty of room around it in all directions so I can really go for it with my round kicks etc!

I'll have a look at the links you shared TKDMitch, thank you.

Jack

6. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hmm, one thing I have noticed looking at the links is that it appears only the base is filled with sand and water - will that not result in the upper portion swinging like crazy when its hit? If this is the case, hanging bags would have an advantage due to how they are filled throughout and so would only swing a bit when hit by a weakling like me. Comments?

Jack

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

When it's totally filled, the base weighs 270lbs (I'd recommend filling with sand). If you have the bag at some of the higher settings, then yes, it does tend to wobble a bit, and will fall over on the more powerful kicks (back kick, jumping side kick, reverse turning kick if you really nail it). However, have the bag down low, and you have got no chance of it toppling, or even really wobbling. As others have said though, a hanging bag is definitely preferable, and they're cheaper. I had to get my freestanding one because, like you, it is my only option due to space etc. :)

8. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

When it comes to punch bags of all kinds I wholeheartedly reccomend www.taosport.co.uk they are a really nice helpful bunch and there bags are second to none. There heavy leather bag is a beast- its like punching a cow! :D But they have a blue freestanding one at a gym I went to and it was really good quality and the base was strong as hell.

9. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

As an alternative you could look into a hanger stand for a hanging bag. I have no idea where to look for one nor whether they are worth a spit but I've seen them so know they exsist. Okay a quick google recovered this http://store.titleboxing.com/heavy-bag-stands-gyms.htmlHowever I'm not sure what your budget it. Personally I'd go for this over the free standing.

10. Jack

Jack Valued Member

How are the Wavemasters as far as weather-resistance goes - rain, snow, standing on wet ground, etc.?

11. Another Muay Thai Guy

I take the bag off and keep that in the house, but leave the base out in the garden, which it does actually say not to do, ah well. So far I haven't had any problems, it's now moving into its second winter outside in the cold. *Touches every bit of wood in the near vicinity* :D

12. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Thank you. Me and the old man have decided to go with a 60kg heavy bag, and attach it to a home-made steel support which is concreted into the ground.

I get to mix up 360kg of concrete in the near future. Thats gonna be fun :p

13. JokerFMJ

JokerFMJ Valued Member

Off-topic: I think you guys have given me some sort of illness... Everytime I read something like Jack's above post about mixing concrete my first thought is, "Hey, it's a workout." ...

And at work when everyone is smoking, i'm standing next to them, BSing and doing Pistols or Bulgarian Squats...

You guys... I'm going to sue!