looking for a meditation book

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by geves, Jul 13, 2006.

1. geves

geves Valued Member

hey everyone. i'm looking for a book on meditation (obviously). more importantly i'm looking for a book that covers the wide range of meditation techniques in it. I hope i'm explaining that correctly.

basicly it seems every book i've glanced over only shows one definitive step by step guide to meditate to. like that's the only way it can be done. i'm looking for more of a variety, so i can try a few and then find the one i'm most comfotable with.

like for instance: buddhist, kundalini, zen, ect..

of course the more informative and all that jazz the better. thx for the help.

2. ember

ember Valued Member

If you can find it, "Chop Wood, Carry Water" is an old book that IIRC describes a variety of practices.

There's also an old Anthony de Mello book on 'Christian meditations in the Eastern style', it's sort of a book on meditative exercises as a spiritual practice. Sorry I don't remember the main title, but I've given you the subtitle.

That's what comes to mind at the moment.

3. geves

geves Valued Member

hmmm that chop wood, carry water. sounds pretty good. i found out they just re-released it too. so it shouldn't be to hard to find.

i can't find any info on that other book though :(

thx for the help ember. :D

4. ember

ember Valued Member

5. geves

geves Valued Member

sorry for bumping this topic. but it's not exactly old. so it's bumped.

sorry, ember. i haven't exactly had the chance to read the book you suggested.

but i was recommended this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...ef=sr_1_6/002-5982439-3225645?ie=UTF8&s=books

i decided to buy it. as suggestion, from a friend. though it takes a buddhist. perspective. it's a strong book, that i feel everyone inetersted in the subject of meditation, should look at. it's a great read. mostly from a psychologists perspective. which may deter people.

but i LOVE IT. i'm on chapter 2. it deals with the strife, of picking a meditation technique..from the various religions. it does nice job of. explaining. how they are all the same paths, with different perspectives.

i got mine for $5. thanks. ember, i'll give your suggestion a look. hope we both get greater clairity. beyond ourselves... thanks agian.

6. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm glad you found something you enjoy! I've been reading up on world religions for about twenty-odd years now, so I'm not surprised you found a meditation book with a Buddhist perspective. In my experience, it's not the religion that matters, it is the regular meditative and or contemplative practices that your faith or discipline call you to do.

For another Buddhist perspective, I like Thich Nhat Hanh's works.

Christian, there's M. Basil Pennington and his books on Centering Prayer. Also a website:
    http://www.centeringprayer.com/frntpage.htm

Enjoy!