Looking for a Judo Club

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Someone else on this forum stated that it was only 4. That said, submissions are on the decline. TKOs are on the rise. People on the bottom pulling guard and getting submissions is becoming less and less frequent. People putting you there and winning via TKO or by decision because they had you there is getting to be more and more common.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It was meeee! Up until that point it had been true. Single digits anyway.

3. Pretty In Pink

Had my first *official* judo class today. Randori from day one, which I loved. The manner they done it in was perfect for me. Two black belts in attendance were lovely helpful guys.

Learned outside foot sweep, and the variation where you side step and block the foot.

Newaza is something they apparently do quite a bit. I found it so-so. A lot of beginners in the class just trying to hold each other down. I rolled with one of the black belts and he was alright. We were apecifically told not to use any submissions, because beginners were daring and hadn't really learned to tap yet. I also dislike holding people down and pinning them. The judo pins themselves were okay and a pin I'd never seen before, which I imagine is strictly for holding and not submissions.

Good class, well run, I'll be back next week. They're talking about extending it by an hour and doing an hour of randori.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Me too. Got held down by a big guy last night. He was in my guard but big enough to clamp round my neck and just hold on and I couldn't frame and get him off.
    I don't think he understood the rules because after a bit he said "well I think that was 20 seconds" (thinking he won) when having my legs round him meant it wasn't a hold down.
    So neither of us won. It was silly.

5. Pretty In Pink

Was that in judo?

The hold I learned was pillow hold or something. Useless for anything except pinning. There is so much wasted energy in holding someone. Much rather submit them. Turnovers were all good though.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Pillow hold?

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah. I was just trying to get him off, create space, foot on hip, create a frame on his head/neck. But he was just clamped on.
    It was only as he let go and stood up he said "I think that was 20 seconds".
    And then I realised he thought he was holding me down for a pin. When in judo terms he wasn't (because I had guard).
    I mean...in real terms I was pinned and could do nothing really (and he wasn't doing anything except hold on) but technically it wasn't a winning pin.

8. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, pillow something hold/pin. Goes from a sort of opposite kese gatame and then you bring your inner thigh underneath their head to stop them bridging.

9. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, pins only count when you've cleared the legs I think.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Doesn't ring a bell. As a rule I try to avoid using pins that don't have easy transitions to other pins or submissions. In practice though, you take what's available.

11. Pretty In Pink

The other thing I didn't like was asking people to try and escape. I also dislike people telling me kese gatame is inescapable. Of course it's possible to get out!

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It is indeed, but it's extremely difficult when it's on properly, especially if the person applying the hold also knows how to do a straight armlock across his leg or an entangled armlock over the thigh and under the shin.

13. Pretty In Pink

Or the kimura with the Indian grip head pull, or the modified kimura with finger grips, or the head and arm option, the head and arm wrist lock, the Farman neck crank, or the various transitions to the head scissor neck crank (both ways) and the kimura from there.... Etc etc

I get that it's a good postion, but it's not inescapable, and it annoys me when people pass it off as such.

14. Aegis

Agreed - one of my old instructors used to say to us that when you only have to hold someone down for 30 seconds, the holds are fine in isolation, but if you need to finish a fight, a submission technique is essential.

15. Pretty In Pink

It's actually illegal to put on a shoulder lock :(

16. Aegis

Ouch... I'm pretty sure they were legal when I used to train (admittedly back in the 90s!)

17. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Since when?

18. Pretty In Pink

For a while I think. Kimura is rolling in his grave I'm sure.

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Think of ground and pound rather than submission with pins, or alternatively a way to grind down your opponent before advancing your position. My experience of rolling with newaza guys is that they expend very little energy holding you down and that kesa is a ride rather than a straight pin.
    I'm pretty sure Ronda used pillow hold for ground and pound against Carmouche.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I believe they have an idea that elbow injuries are less severe than shoulder injuries. It's somewhat true but they're also more likely.