Looking foi private tuition of Kali focusing on empty hand knife defense

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by maxaue, Apr 21, 2014.

1. maxaue

maxaue New Member

Hello to everybody

I am looking for somebody able to provide high level private tuition of Kali, possibly in Victoria-Battersea area.
    I practiced many years Karate and would like to focus now in techniques for the knife defense, leves, blocks etc. I think both krav maga or Kali could suit, although i have a slight preferency for Kali.
    I am not interested in the other stuff like knife attacking or swords, sticks etc. Only empty hand defense and counterattacks.

Alternatively, which are the best gyms in this discipline in central London?

Thank you very much

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's unlikely you'll find an instructor willing to stick to just knife defence.

I suggest getting to a decent class and talk to one of the instructors there.

Try the classes in this thread.

3. maxaue

maxaue New Member

Thank you simon. Ok if is necessary i can learn all the parts with pleasure, i didn't tell that because i don't like it in that but just because i wanted in the short time at disposal to focus on the part i am more interested in. I was thinking to 10 hours approximately.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I'm sure Janno can help you out but without understanding the whole ( stick, knife, sword ) you won't really get to grips with the empty hand.

5. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't really see what the issue is about focusing on a small section of the art. I would think that 10 hours of focused attention on unarmed vs. knife would provide the basis for a solid foundation on counter-knife. No he wouldn't have an understanding of the greater art, but he isn't looking for that. If the weapons are truly (or nearly) interchangable, as many of the FMAs say they are, then we should as easily be able to teach starting without a weapon as with.

6. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

If that's all you want, you're probably better off rounding up neighborhood kids and get them to stab, slash or hack you, single or multiple attacks, variety of ambushes.

You don't need FMA for this. You're better off with untrained kids attacking you than with trained FMA'ers.

Just get a bunch of markers or training knives. Or go the distance and train live blades.

A friendly reminder, FMA isn't Aikido, eventually you'll have to pick up a knife (or any weapon) and go to town. Just food for thought.

7. maxaue

maxaue New Member

In any martial art there is a part of the discipline devoted to levers and blocks/defenses from knife attack. Karate (that i practiced) Jeet kune do, Aikido, Krav Maga, Kali. In certain arts this part is more developped and applicable, in certain others there is more focus on other tecniques. I chose the Kali because it seemed to me the most tecnical and practical for this kind of defense.

8. Janno

Janno Valued Member

It is.

I teach private classes in the Fulham/Chelsea area, and just today got back from instructing a 4-day combatives input on a Close Protection course: I'm no stranger to putting together bespoke training programs for clients. I'm also an instructor in the Rapid Response system (which is dedicated to providing a technical foundation for empty hand vs edged weapon engagements).

With regards your timeframe (10 hours), i can certainly train you in enough material to get started. However, it is also worth bearing in mind that the format (empty hands vs edged weapons) is arguably one of the most deadly and challenging scenarios a person could find themselves in. Therefore a 10-hour timeframe - whilst enough to develop basic manual skills and conceptual understanding - is in all honesty unlikely to adequately prepare you for the speed, cunning, and ferocity employed by an attacker. You would require further training and testing to refine your skills into something that could be considered functional. In addition, it would be prudent to incorporate some basic edged weapon training into your program so you can gain a superior insight into the methods and options available to your potential attackers.

Naturally, all of the above would be task-specific and in keeping with your desired objectives.

If you are interested, my contact details and rates can be found over at www.london-arnis.co.uk (i would have PM'd but the function is not available).