Look at this kata

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by stuckTKD, Mar 16, 2012.

1. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking at Karate now (some of you already know my TKD story) how much does this Kata look like Won-Hyo? I am thinking of trying it tomorrow at a local class, I have already posted on the Karate forum for thoughts on the class I am going to try, but with no answer as yet.
    [ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hc1NMdjU9U"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hc1NMdjU9U[/ame]

2. ayrshiretkd

ayrshiretkd Valued Member

I bought a shotokan kata dvd out of curiosity, you'd be suprised how similar it is to early itf taekwon-do.

3. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Well several TKD patterns are derived from katas

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

ITF TKD Tul are ripped bleeding from the Heian kata, not surprising given Gen Choi's shotokan background. This means that in addition to StuartA's work you can look at Iain Abernethy and other karateka's work on kata in relation to ITF Tuls

For some very interesting "modern" kata, check out Ashihara and Enshin kata.

Mitch

5. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

It looks a lot like won hyo, not exact of course but won hyo is clearly derived from it.

6. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

I looked into the Ashihara kata, Mitch, those are interesting. Very different. More like what many would think of as shadowboxing - though that is a role of traditional forms as well (among other things).

7. Mitch

The idea is that you can do them solo, or have a pad holder attack with the common attacks of the style and you strike the pads, or they can attack wearing sparring gear and you counter/strike back against them.

I really liked the Enshin kata; they were challenging yet directly relevant and became much more of a link in the chain of training, rather than an adjunct to it as is so often the case in much karate and TKD.

Mitch

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Not surprising since before the TKD forms were created it was the Shotokan kata which were were practiced.

There's an old (independent) Chung Do Kwan school in my town which never changed their routines,they still do the Shoto kata,different flavor in performance tho'.

9. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

If you get a copy of Gen. Choi's 1965 book then you will see it lists the Karate Kata as well as the first 20 Hyung(as they were called then)

10. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Seen it guys but not for me, god I miss Tae Kwon-do, I am now looking to carry on at TKD, just need to find a good school.

11. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

A few years ago, I have the opportunity to attend a seminar with Shimabukuro Sensei of Seibukan-Shorin-Ryu. This Kata (referred to as Chodan in the Okinawan arts) was the topic of the first half of the seminar.

I have trained in the Chang-Heon system of Taekwondo for a few decades, and was amazed at how much can be learned from a Karate Master about our patterns. "Bunkai" was never removed from the Okinawan Kata, so they can explain to you the exact application of each move.

I stand by my preference of the Korean kicking techniques, however there are so many holes that are filled just by studying this one kata for a few hours under Shimabukura Sensei.

God Speed,
    Bateman

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  12. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Sir I would say that so are the Palgwe forms & the Taeguek Poomsae. There are only so many ways to redesign MA moves. Really a front snap kick is a front snap kick. Wouldn't one agree?
    Now you can do what Gen. Choi did: list a front snap kick as such & not as a front kick, as hen has several front kicks. He also listed various tools that one can strike with while using his front snap kick, ie - ball of foot, knee, instep & toes. He listed corresponding target area examples for the various tools & limited the front snap kick to solar plexus level of the attacker & below, as scientifically & semantics wise that is the true limit of a front snap kick. But in the end that front snap kick is basically just that.
    The major differences in the Kukki TKD forms/Poomsae is the upright stances. But the techniques are mostly karate lime as well. Additionally their chambers, folds, previous positions & how they form or execute the techniques are also karate like. Gen. Choi changed all that in his Tuls, & added in a unique way of moving & breathing, unlike Kukki TKD. I also noticed his breathing & SW gives it a little Taek Kyon look & feel.
    I think when you get to the ITF TKD BB Tuls you start to see unique TKD movements in there, especially with Moon Moo & Juche, among the last 2 designed.

13. Mitch

I'm sure you're correct, but I have little personal experience of WTF/Kukki TKD so prefer not to comment on it other than in general terms. There are people on MAP who know much more about it than I so I'd rather leave it to them :)

Mitch