London to Paris The Long Train Ride!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by liero, Nov 25, 2011.

1. liero

liero Valued Member

I've been looking at options to get from London to Paris for Taekwondo comps that I'm flying across the world for!!! At this stage the train looks like the best option. However I'm having trouble working one thing out.

On google I found http://www.eurostar.com/ but are there competitor options which are cheaper and also whats the best way to go about getting a cheap trip across. We are leaving on a friday morning if that helps?

Sorry if its an ASK GOOGLE :google: question, but sometimes asking the locals is a good way to find out any secrets!

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

EuroStar via St Pancras London is the best bet really. Virgin Trains sometimes do deal etc, but only when times are right.
    Still youre looking at £150 return. I just helped buy a ticket for a family member and thats how much it came to.

3. liero

liero Valued Member

Thanks Mushroom!

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A bit of slap and tickle with the TKD officials? I dunno... offer your services and see if any of them will kick you down with a free ride.:D

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's unlucky! I went all the way to Avignon and back on Eurostar with my son and it didn't cost that much!

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Probably peak time?

Also I went straight to Eurostar...havent checked places like lasminute or expedia

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

We travelled during the school summer holidays, which are as peak as times get. So either we got an amazing deal, or else they've hiked their prices dramatically in the last few years.

Always worth shopping around. I didn't, because I didn't realise that anyone else ran that service, but it sounds like you should!

Good luck with your search, because £150 to go from London to Paris is outrageous.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It may be worth looking at a ferry to Calais (foot passengers are generally very cheap) and then a train from Calais to Paris, as the trains on the other side our somewhat cheaper than our own public transport.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That should be the cheapest option.

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Fly to Charles de Gaulle?