London Clubs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aegis, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Can any of the London instructors point me in the direction of a potential location my club could move to? Our current facility is being demolished and we're going to be homeless as of the end of September.

If any clubs already train somewhere with mats and would be happy to share, that would be awesome. Otherwise if you have a venue without mats but there's space for some, we can probably buy our old venue's stash at a reasonable price.

All help and advice will be very much appreciated.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Which parts of London would you consider?

3. Aegis

As close to Paddington as possible. Central and West through to North West might be possible depending on how accessible it is.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The sports centre at Chiswick school has mats, and has both a big sports hall and a smaller hall available for hire.

Don't know the costs but I would guess that it's relatively affordable as those things go. The drawback is accessability. It's close to the overland train station but it's a about fifteen minutes walk from the nearest tube station. (Turnham Green.)

Brentford Fountain sports centre might have something, but it'll probably be a lot pricier.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm struggling to think of anything else - apart from university facilities, and they might not hire to outside organisations.

5. Aegis

Cheers, will look into it as a last resort, but Chiswick would probably be about 75 minutes travel to get home after training - a little too much for the instructor I reckon.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yes, that's a lot - even for London.

Good luck with your search.

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I know a good little club in staines that could accomadate some more students

Smurf

8. Aegis

Sadly that would be a three hour round trip for me, which is a little untenable!

9. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Check out SOAS I used to do BJJ there, but they rent out (at very decent prices) their halls mats and everything included to a lot of local clubs.

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was going to say SOAS, I did one session with Luis Tostas class there.

Aegis, how big is your club? Near to SOAS (Russel Sq) is the Chinese Camden Community Centre (my spot) maybe you can give them a call and see what theyre like/suitable?

I would usually recommend University of Westminster (Oxford Circus/Regent St) but they have recently upped their prices. Maybe give em a call to see but be warned. I think theyre asking something like £60 an hour :s

11. Aegis

Usually around 14-16 people on the mat during term time, a little lower when students go on vacation.

£120 per 2-hour session is way outside our budget, so Westminster is right out...

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

edit. reread initial post.

um west london theres a couple church halls in maida vale, area that rent out space otherwise check out mushrooms bit

and yeah SOAS runs everything

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  13. Atre

Atre Valued Member

The Gracie's have a place around the corner from me in Kilburn (15 mins from Paddington)... Assume they've got some mats lying about or something.

However I also assume they charge a ton of cash.

14. Aegis

Yeah, that's more or less why I discounted their academies already... Certainly can't afford Gracie rates!