LOL ing...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by karate princess, Mar 2, 2007.

1. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I was wondering if it was just me or others do it too. Now, I say 'Lol' quite alot when I'm typing messages, I mean, I think I actually over use the 'lol.' But it's come to the point where I'm talking to someone (in person) and if I find something funny I actually go to say 'lol.' I mean, it's not like I'm a net speakaholic, I type all my words out normally....

Am I just special? Or do others do this? :D

2. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

I use it a lot too, but not while speaking. Guess you are just special. LOL :D

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah it's rather addictive.
    Especially if you consider how much you use it since you first started using it.
    If you do any sort of online chat or gaming that has a chat function (Americas Army) then you know that LOL'ing is the lingua franca of chat. :D

I've found myself going to use it in a conversation... because you use it constantly in online conversations and those you think out in your head as you speak them... so it's not that silly to make the mistake in real life.

I'm always curious what others ideas are about how they would sound it out in actual speech... as opposed to text.

I always imagined it to be 'lawl' or 'laal' - sort of a long A sound in between L's.

With that said... lol.

Edit - quite possibly the spoken equivalent is the word... f*ck (in all it's wonderful variations). I use it in about a thousand different way's each day. Sadly that doesn't say much good about my communication abilities maybe... but I've even found myself on the phone with me dear old mum saying '**** this' and '**** 'em' and '**** that'... man am I in for a backhanding when I see her again. :p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

A special flower deary ;)

(joking :D)

I'd take it as a sign I was chatting online a big much though!

In a couple of centuries if that, text speak will have taken over and 'normal' English as we know it will be Shakespeare to them :bang:

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I'd just pronounce it like 'loll.'

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't really use internet speak very much in real life, much to my shame because I always intend to - I think it'd be quite funny!

I have said "all your base are belong to us" to people in person though, so I guess that counts.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Verily thou speaketh wisely.

Er, LOL. ;)

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I say it in conversation, but usually in a facetious manner!

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

"roffle, roffle,roffle, L.M.A.O."

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

FYI

that grinds me, people who say FYI in conversation.

are we all going to end up speaking in acronyms.

although I do use RTFM in my job, but only because the people I'm talking too don't understand it :D

there are also various people here who will use 'see you next tuesday' alot

11. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

How do you pronounce that? :confused: :D

Ah but that ones quite old I'm sure, not an online one. It's much more polite too :D

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Me and some of my friends often use words like LOL, ROFFLE (rofl), LAMAYO (lmao), pwned etc. ever since nicking the lol idea from www.purepwnage.com videos absolutely ages ago. Funny at first, then it just becomes habit until someone from outside the group goes "erm... what!?" :D

13. gornex

gornex Valued Member

i use it tons. I think its because i like to joke around and using lol lets people know that i am kind of joking.

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I don't say lol, but I annoy myself by shortening taekwondo down to TKD in speech, even though it isn't any quicker to say.

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

NOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I would NEVER do that.

16. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

No I never use. Not in texts, on MSN - ever. I use full English at all times :cool: