Location, Location for FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Lucy O'Malley, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I have only ever visited Manila and Cebu for my training. I would say this is probably because I first went to Cebu for the WEKAF World Championships, so while I was there, seeked training....and having contacts encourages me to return to the same place....but I always look for other groups within those areas to gain varying experiences and also because I enjoy meeting people within the FMA. Manila, obviously has alot to offer because it is the Capital and while passing through, you have to take a look around. I don't tend to stay there more than a week though, with it being a busy city.

I know it is a comfort thing, going to the same areas...as you often have limited time off work etc...that you just want to go straight to the sources you know and appreciate already....especially when you are dragging a family around with you too, it is easier to know where you are going rather than wandering around looking for somewhere new in an area you are not familiar with.

So, to get to the point....Has anyone been or know of other islands in the Philippines that have good FMA to offer, in a friendly atmosphere that's safe for the family?

Any other good locations?....feel free to share.

2. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

The only other area that I can personally attest to as having a lot of good fma, and still safe for families, is Bacolod, in Negros Occidental. GT Leo Gaje still lives there and you can also find groups for GM Jose Vinas as well as GM Navales. Unfortunately, the man that I studied with Mr. Maning Recto died a few years ago. Though, I know that there are still some good arnis groups in his town of Hinigaran, just about 40 minutes outside of Bacolod.

3. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

:D hi ms lucy! mabuhay :love:

I dunno what more training & knowledge you still needs being an expert & a champion in escrima/arnis competition. However, please allow me to refer my instructor GM Vicente Sanchez. We don't have a school location/dojo, but we are training in Marikina Sports Park, Marikina City, minutes away in Manila. He teaches us 4 system, Tersia Seradda Y cadenilla Spada Y daga (is my spelling right :eek: ) or mang Ben's style Lightning Scientific Arnis, Modern Arnis, Cinco Terros & Kasilagan.

If madam you are interested, please give me a shout here :D

4. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

Luneta, Manila

Hi Lucy,

let me recommend to you Luneta, Manila (I know your asking other Island for FMA training), There's alot of FMA Instructor in luneta area willing to teach their art to those who's interested.

I know you are concerned about your family safety, this is what i did when i was there last month with my family. I book my hotel infront of US Embassy which is also about 10mins walk to Luneta. So every morning I can train FMA in Luneta with a peace of mind knowing that my family will be safe inside the hotel. +++ The Philippine Military/Police & the US Embassy Security have a 24hr security with-in 3-miles of the US Embassy +++

beside that I guarantee that your kids will be sleeping in the morning, so you have the whole moring training FMA. after training you can bring your kids to the mall that is 5mins away from your hotel & at night you can go bar hoping at the bay-area, which is beside US Embassy. And if you want to visit a resort club, most of it is about 2-4hrs drive only, they usually have a rental car in the hotel lobby.

Plan your trip correctly/properly and i guarantee you your kids will enjoy their Philippine vacation & at the same time you gain more knowledge on FMA.

just a suggestion.

RON

ps: if you need contact nos of people & group in Luneta, just pvt IM me. I got atleast 4-groups and personal contact nos. training in LUNETA (aka Rizal Park)

5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

I hope these would be of interest to you although they are in Metro Manila.

Sort of kick-boxing but spiced up more:
    www.yawyan.com

If you want more Arnis and I'm wondering why :):
    www.kombatan.com
    www.trinitycross.net/lsai
    www.dekititirsiasiradas.org

I'd also like to highly recommend my lightning scientific arnis instructor Master Jon Escudero who's teaching at Red Corner Gyms. He also teaches at the UP Gardens on Sundays. His website is still under construction.

Hey, Manila is not so bad if you are in the right places. Buzz me if you need any more assistance in accomodations or info. I can accompany you to look around if I have some spare time too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2005
  6. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

Cavite

Hi Lucy,

you can consider CAVITE, its about 2-3hrs drive south of manila. As far as I know there's 2 FMA Master live in that province, Master Henry Espera of Rapido Realismo (Kali Illustrisimo, Orabes Heneral, Sabakan, Dumog, etc.) & Master Vicente Sanchez (see pinoy description of his style).

Cavity is a nice place to stay, there's plenty historical thing happen in that place just like Cebu. If you like Beach-Resort there's plenty in that place.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2005
  7. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Please bear in mind MAP's Terms of Service when posting

Thanks

1.4 Posting Personal Contact Information (Address/ Phone Number):
    Members may not post personal contact information such as home address, work address, home telephone number, work telephone number, email address etc., in the public forums.
    1.4.1 ANYONE, including guests to MAP, can read the public forums - this policy is in place for YOUR safety and protection.

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

cavite with gm espera and guro abon! now that's a thought! good guys those two. used to be known as kali sabakan.

you could also try the province of makati and try kali de leon. :p

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I think that is on the cards anyway, looks like my trip to the PI is reschedualed for December again, attending the ARPI event, should be good.

I will see you in the PI to share some San Mig.:D

Regards

Pat

10. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Well, Pat is definitely invited to come visit our little group. All the boys are looking forward to having Pat join us in some friendly sparring. :) (We're getting some extra padding put on our already overpadded sticks)

Lucy,... on the other hand, might just be a little too ... uhm, don't know if my guys are ready to deal with her yet. :eek:

Once you're here, we'll arrange a trip to the Cordilleras to do some boltong. You need to know somebody for this art. Luckily Shooto and I have just the friend in mind.

11. Lucy O'Malley

I would like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread for all your advice and suggestions. Hopefully we will be out at the end of the year, all being well.

I am sorry I have not been able to reply earlier or recently, I have a tradeshow coming up and have been very busy and will be for the next week.

Those naughty, naughty people who attempted to post phone numbers and addresses......you should know better :eek: Thankyou very much, I have got the details.

But should anyone else wish to pass on contacts, please adhere to the terms of MAP....but by all means PM me. (Pat is out during the day ;) ;) )

All destinations appreciated.....and for those that want to know why I would need more training.....give me more FMA, it can only make me better. But also, I just like meeting new people, even if we don't train. So who better, than someone else who shares my interests.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

well... how about a group meet here in the philippines when you guys get here with the filipino forumers here at MAP?!!

yeah... sorry about the contact numbers posting... i didnt get to read the rules. do you guys do?

13. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

sounds like a good idea :D with a couple of san mig rounds :love:

14. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

I used to maintain an online list of Manila FMA groups. I'll try to dig it up and post it here. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

december eh? coolness. sisig and san mig it is. i think diego_vega might want to reconsider the 14- hour trip to the north for boltong. maybe it would be better just to have our friend join our little "sisig + san mig" sparring.

16. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

can newbies join here sirs? :confused:

would want to see great guys & here some stories & experiences in FMA :p not that good in speaking english, but hope we can understand each other in san mig bottle + sisig :D

let me see my budget, 1 sanmig = 25-35pesos (in bars) + sisig/oreder = 100+. Ok I think my budget can afford it sir if we can come :p

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

First round of San Mig is on us. As for the sparring we will play that one by ear.

Oh! and some more rounds on us:D

Then we Spar.

Then some more rounds.

Then we spar some more.

Then some more rounds to numb the pain. And at this point Lucy will be drinking us all under the table and still be last one standing even after the sparring.

Pinoy. If you are mad enough please join us I am sure you will enjoy the celebrations. Lets make it an all PI Map meet with San Mig and Sisig + Sparring session. (Full report to follow in January 06)

Hey our first ever official PI San Mig + Sisig MAP meet:D

See you all soon

Best regards

Pat

18. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

* takes note of who promised to pay for the beer

Can I join you guys for some san migs and sticks? Maybe by december I'll be able to swing a stick well enough to not embarass myself :)

19. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

<<Hig hand credit card to Mrs Hig before looking on line at flight cost to PI >>

20. Lucy O'Malley

We may have to start saving now....for these free san migs, or perhaps we may have to limit the guests by invitation MMmmm. :rolleyes:

You do know Pats wallet is empty....Well it is now we share equally, what's his is mine and what's mine is mine. :D

Hey, this could be the biggest MAP meet yet....and ironic that we probably will not see many of the UK Mappers here in the UK but half way round the world low and behold, who do we run into...fellow UK mappers.

Let's get a touring T-Shirt and all go together and cause havoc on the plane.
    "Mappers guide to the Philippines" or "Have sticks.....will travel"

Lots of love :love:

Lucy