Llama's Llog

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Llamageddon, Sep 7, 2011.

1. hext

hext Valued Member

Christ, Is that from a class or Personal Training?

2. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather. From your post it sounded like you had overcome it. Feel better, being sick sucks.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

That was a class. Some of us are going for our 1st/2nd/3rd dans soon.

Kumite next week, apparently.

4. Llamageddon

05/11/11

Random gym stuff - weights machines, so wasn't really paying attention

Today

Karate - self directed kata session for first hour, kumite for second hour.

5. Llamageddon

29/11/11

Karate - Teaching most of the first session - second session was mostly kihon and kata. Good though. Got smacked about by a 10 year old with sharp knuckles. Managed not to cry.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Very manly of you - well done! :)

7. Llamageddon

Getting 'fat'. Running soon. That is all.

On a more serious note, a bit of burnout on MAP combined with lots of PhD work getting in the way of gym time means there hasn't been much to report recently. I will get my **** in gear, buck my ideas up, straighten up and fly right, and all other sayings soon. Hopefully.

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

You can do It! Get er done!

9. Llamageddon

19/12/

Karate training. Last session before Xmas so it hurt.

Lots of pushups (shoulders sore two days after amount of pushups) with a variation (lie belly down, with one hand on top of the other under your chin, keep hips on the ground).

Finished learning Kanku Sho properly. Think that's going to be my elective kata for my 2nd Dan in March.

Kumite drills, structured when helping the lower grades, free for all with the senior grades. Then did some cross-fighting (one person in the middle, people line up at four compass points, and the person in the middle blocks and counters each attacker in a clockwise direction).

Then overs and unders (leapfrog then back through the legs) x12 for black belts. Knackering.

Then finished with piggy back kata. I was lucky and did Kata Kihon when I was the bottom half. My partner unfortunately had to be the bottom half for Bassai Dai...

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'm genuinely shocked that these old school training methods are still being used!

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What? Kata?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI&feature=related[/ame]

12. Llamageddon

WAHEY! The video makes an appearance!

JWT - I assume you're talking about the piggyback kata (and possibly the overs and unders)? We do that about once every few months, not regular at all. Bit of a laugh more than anything.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Over and unders are great. Quite common in MMA too I think.

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Yep - the piggyback Katas with the increased risk of knee and back injuries, and the overs and unders (where there's an even bigger tranche of possible injuries).

I'm not sure whether it was an urban myth but I recall we stopped doing them in the early 90s as apparently a student had dislocated a shoulder doing them and the insurers refused to cover it as it wasn't karate and wasn't recognised as an approved warmup technique by any sporting bodies.

15. Llamageddon

I can see how they can be risky, but to be honest if one of us doesn't feel up to them, if we're carrying an injury for example, we'll sit out. No pressure to join in.

16. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

What about the running Lama? have you started?

17. Llamageddon

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYpp...eature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYpp...eature=related[/ame]

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

The Videos messed up Lama, what was it?

19. Llamageddon

The badum tish PASmith posted

20. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Ah I see lol.