Living the AIKIDO

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aikidoka-je, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

"Home Grown JKD'er" :D .....too bad there isnt a comic pic

2. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Home grown JKDer? is this a common thing?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sadly yes....although not as common as it used to be

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i looked it up. seems like a solid aikido dojo. bout 10-12 miles from orange park, depending on where you are in orange park. really depends on whether you think it's worth it or not. for the amount of available classes and the cost of the membership, i would say it is worth it. but you have to decide whether the drive is. you're seemingly very interested in aikido, and it is a wonderful art.

5. aikidoka-je

It seems they teach the 'original' aikido that was passed on by O'Sensei himself as it is related to the Hombu Dojo.

My background is in Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido so training there should expose me to some more 'orthodox' Aikido.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

as others have mentioned, it's about doing. and aikido is much, much more than the syllabus.

7. aikidoka-je

It has been awhile since I have posted here, but I have thought about what others here have said. - I believe that we all can learn allot from each other as martial artists.

I am joining the local Aikido Center because I believe that there is still plenty to learn there. - It is really the best place I can build upon what I have learned in the past.

The philosophies, the fighting concepts, all of it. Because it is Budo, it can never truly be mastered, so there is no excuse to be away from the Aikikai!

As for the Tae Kwon Do: I am still learning. Though belts are given out ridiculously fast, I still believe it is possible to truly "earn" them if enough training is packed into one's day.

Am still aiming for a sort of "Hap Ki" Tae Kwon Do, and look forward to practicing and developing skill in both arts.

For me, the martial arts are the best part of life, so I truly appreciate everyone's advice and elucidation.

8. aikidoka-je

In the past year I have learned allot.

The TKD has greatly improved my understanding of the Aiki-Jujutsu techniques application - I say “Aiki-Jujutsu” because I understand “Aikido” transcends technique.

There are countless techniques in TKD and Aiki Jujutsu and it will take allot of time to develop Aiki in all of it.

In the TKD many belts have been gone through since I started. It doesn't seem right, but now more than ever I am focusing on the movements and their variations and expressions rather than the ranks.

In the Aikido I am discovering different philosophies and approaches to martial arts training through different kinds of meetings as well as books to supplement.

Everyone I meet on my journey I seek to learn and share knowledge with. - Even those with little martial arts experience.

9. aikidoka-je

I just created a few short Kata that combine both the TKD-Style, and Aiki-Jujutsu style moves.

It is very experimental, but it seems to be doing what I want it to do. It 'should' gradually increase my ability to quickly switch between the two methods of fighting.

Also, I have experimented with hardening the Aiki-Jujutsu moves and softening the TKD striking-type moves. - It is given some things a sort of Wushu-like feel.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here, I am just exploring the countless vartiaions of technique and application. - I seek greater understanding.

10. aikidoka-je

It is true, what O'sensei said about Atemi. Doing the striking art continues to back up my soft techniques.

The experimental exercises I have put together are to cultivate. What this is intended to do is help me switch between hard and soft technique more naturally.

Example of said exercises:

High Block, Tsuki, Ikkyo.
    Ridgehand Block, Knifehand Strike, Gokyo.