Living on milk?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jamo2, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Could you?
    say you drank copious amounts of milk instead of each meal a day. Being so nutritious, how long could your body last without something going wrong due to a lack of a certain vitamin/mineral?
    Discuss :rolleyes:

2. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Well, I'm guessing that you would get really ill as your body would develop an intolerence to Lactose, and you wouldn't gt the necessary nutrients from milk.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Living on Milk

No :rolleyes:

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Irish people only had milk and potatoes for a long time.

5. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I used to drink milk in place of meals. Always have and still do occasionally.

Though it's not part of some dumb diet, I just like milk :D

6. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Ditto

7. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Milk makes you **** more often. At least that's what happened with me... I'm still not giving up my 1% fat +Calcium milk.

8. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

:D LOL

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

That's a mild lactose intolerance, not a general rule of thumb.

You probably could live on milk, most of us did when we were born. Your body has different requirements now that you're older now, and I think you would probably get a few deficiencies on a milk only diet. However, there is no such thing as a complete food source and severe restriction of food choices like this do not make a good diet.

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

It might a general rule of thumb for people not living in the west, from my genetic course i saw how western(white european, american) people can handle milk but not gluten and eastern people can handle gluten but not milk.

11. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I drink loads of milk, but I couldn't live on it. Not as filling as a good meal!

12. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Yep, I'll testify to that. The only other time I've had a reaction like that is after an eating contest at an 'all you can eat' Indian buffet :eek: .

Does anyone know off the top of their heads if you can do anything to help lactose intolerance?

13. ember

ember Valued Member

There's some over-the-counter things to help digest milk, and probably prescription meds as well.

I think I've heard that some people find yogurt and/or cheese to be more readily digestible than the regular kind.

But since I am very NOT lactose intolerant and in no way a medical professional, I'd recommend checking with your doctor.

14. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I would have thought the first thing you would notice would be the extreme lack of fibre in your diet, as suddenly you either get the runs or don't poop at all for a while, then when you do it has a sudden refusal to come out. Not good.

15. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

even if I drink insane amounts of milk I still cannot imagine having only this on my menu. It would be ... weird ..

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

You could probably last about 60 days, since you can last that long without food.

Presumably you could last a bit longer, but you're going to suffer.

17. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I've never liked milk. Since I was a kid, I've never been able to get around the fundamental truth that cow's milk is for baby cows, not people. The idea of drinking milk is, for whatever reason, just repulsive to me. I don't mind cheese or yoghurt, but I tend not to like really creamy stuff like Ice Cream as much. The closer to liquid form the dairy product gets, the worse my gag reflex kicks in.

So, in answer to the OP, I'd starve.

18. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

o my .....id better not tell my sis that there are others like her...i make her eat now lol
    and now that she trains with me she has to eat lol

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Milk the breakfast of champions, with a few grains floating in it. ;)
    It is a good source of protein and chubby also. We all need both especially if you exercise a bunch.

I would rather drink milk than have a soda. Better for you if you are not intolarant to it LOL.
    Funny thing about lactose and the tolerance to it. When drinking "Mares milk" they ferment it and it is then tolerable. Mares milk has more lactose in it then cows milk but the fermenting allowed the body to absorb it.

The Europeans drank cows milk straight as a general rule and made their alcoholic beverage from something else. Where the Asian drank Mares milk and fermented it. :D They say at times the herd of horses that they had for just the drinking ability of Mares milk was huge. Relaxed them after a hard day of killing their neighbors and stealing their horses (Mongels/Khans). :rolleyes:

Regards, Gary

20. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

You would get pretty fat by just drinking milk. But you wouldn't aslo get essential vitamins and nutrients that you need that are found in other.