Live blade training

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Two Sword, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

Hello All,

I've been in the FMA for 25 years now. My family system has only come out to the general public this year on the east coast (U.S).

Since we started doing seminars and public classes I've got to meet alot of different types martial artists... More so in the last half year than I have in the last 25 yrs.

All my training has been kept to my family (brothers, father) and my students.

I am wondering how many FMA's out there currently training, do any type of training with Live blades?

by no way am I trying to criticize anyones training methods..just a question to get some info on the mainstream FMA training methods.......

Thanks
    Guro Carl Atienza
    Atienza Kali
    www.atienzakali.com:)

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

My instructor brings out some live blade training ... but only after many years of training with the training blades. There are valuable lessons to be learned in facing a live blade (as I'm sure you're well aware) ... but (and I'd assume you'd agree with this, too) safety is paramount.

Mike

3. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

Yes...I agree...safety is important.

At times though...I think my father(my instructor) wasn't thinking of safety.

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to...

What kind of Live blade training do you do?

Guro Carl
    Atienza Kali
    www.atienzakali.com

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

What I've done at this point is some sumbrada with sword and solo work (such as cutting on a carpet covered post) with knife.

Mike

5. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

How about live blade vs. empty hand drills?

I went to your website...very nice!

I met Guru Ken at Tuhon Sayocs house this past august....very nice guy.

Guro Carl

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I haven't done any yet ... that I recall (and I'm pretty sure I'd recall that :) ). I have faced a live blade in reality, though ... but it didn't get physical. I talked my way out of the situation.

Thank you. The website is still in development stages ... for that matter, my school is still in development stages (I'm teaching in my living room right now :) ) ... but I'm pretty happy with what I've done on the website so far.

Yes, Guru Ken has mentioned meeting you guys. He was very impressed with you and your system.

Mike

7. Two Sword

Two Sword New Member

Again..not to put down any of your training methods..I'm not checking what you have or what I have. Just looking at my own curriculum.

We are pretty much the same. doing hard live blade drills only with the higher level students.

I've been teaching privately out of my apartment(s) for the last ten years...I only recently started to teach in manhattan again.

I've had a couple of those knife/gun street things myself...only I couldn't talk out of most of them.....thank god for the FMAs

Guru Ken is a cool guy. we shared chinese food together talked a bit.
    Unfortunately I didn't get to see him move...but I've heard he is the man when it come to Silat. It's cool to meet all these top notch practioners.

Guro Carl
    Atienza Kali

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. Guru Ken is definitely a good Silat guy. He's a good Kali guy, too, for that matter :) And he's a very cool guy as a person. I've enjoyed every minute of the thousands of hours I've spent with him over the years ... and have learned *a lot* in those minutes and hours. He's been an instructor, friend, and, in some ways, mentor to me.

Mike