Live Blade in Self Defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by monkeywrench, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Does that mean you cannot comment on the attack because you do not have a penis to commit the rape with?

Seriously, that kind of "argument" is asinine at best

So then knife would be utilised to prevent further resistance or the rapist would just pummel the woman into unconsciousness THEN rape her

Why would she have any better insight than a Martial Artist about what would work in a SD situation?

And there are techniques out there that require the same assumption but offer a greater likelihood of success

No arguments here - although statistically the vast majority rapists do not kill so death is not a guarantee. the judgement call would depend very much on the individual...I know women that sacrificed their own bodies for the thought of seeing their children again.

A rape is a HUGE trauma, but many have suffered and recovered so it is not the final answer. As horrible as it sounds some have found capitulation to be the safest option - again that is an individual decision

True - and a higher percentage technique is even better still

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Wow, what happened to this thread? :confused:

What is everyone arguing about?

Live blades? Geeze, as far as I know, the guys and gals that work with live blades quickly can only do so with people they have been training with for years. When I trained live blades with someone I never trained with before, we moved like a slug. What more is there? Real fighting?

As for Sifu Jason Goldsmith, Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos is good stuff. It isn't going to be ripping people off. It is a very progressive system and they don't keep anything around that doesn't work. IMHO.

If Jason says it is tested, it is tested. Just looking at the fundamentals, grabbing the thumb side is just fundamental, setting up a sweep... fundamentals.

I do believe an attacker is more likely going to be in mount position, probably from there tie up the hands or duct tape them before moving on so focusing on an attacker in the mount position starting off makes more sense to me for the majority ground work dealing with self-defense. They could move into your guard from there, but it would be with caution (so by the time they get to missionary they probably are pretty confident that the woman will not be resisting).

As for punches versus elbows for beginners, whatever works. Good points from all, IMHO. But one should consider what happens when your arm is grabbed. Elbows are much more useful in situations where an attacker is going to grab at your arm.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's a video floating around the Internet where a martial arts instructor is demonstrating the sword. He places an apple on his prone student's throat and proceeds to slice through the apple and his student's throat. One mistake is all it takes.

There is a reason why the military and law enforcement do not use live ammunition in situations where a mistake could easily cause serious injury and/or death of those involved.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Better than most kung fu schools I've seen admittedly. Those handgun disarms need some serious work though.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So is Simo is any way to related to Jason?

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Yes, very good chance.

Simo lists Kajukenbo under martial arts. WHKD is a branch of Kajukenbo.

7. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I've seen that video - what always surprises me is the way the aikado instructor completes ignores the guy with his throat cut open and continues the demo as if by pretending nothing happened he can avoid being held responsible for it lol.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Yeah that was the craziest part. He just flicks the blood off the blade and walks off all cool as his assistant is spurting blood all over the place and collapsing to the ground.

I actually found the link (NSFW): http://www.metacafe.com/watch/251256/cutting_his_throat/

9. Master Betty

Lol the guy's a moron and deserves prison time for that stunt. Bad enough he got someone to deliberately lay his throat open for some moronic and unneccesary stunt, the complete disregard for his student's well being simply exaccerbates matters.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

As for 2 hour self-defense courses, probably 90% of the material is going to be forgotten by the students in less than a week. It becomes a bit of a memory game. Simple is good.

We associate self-defense moves with natural movements. For instance, sprinting arm motion gets you your driving elbows to the rear against grabs from behind and also rising elbows and uppercuts to the front. High knee exercise with the legs gives you knee strikes with a clinch and kicks to the groin. Kick yourself in the butt gets you heel hooks to the rear. Waving goodbye with fingers slightly bent gets you eye rake motion. Swimming motion moving the butt backwards under the arm pit against high grab from behind after softening them up with elbows (running motion). Backstroke motion under the arm pit while moving head forward against high grab from in front after softening them up with eye rake, uppercuts, rising elbows... etc.

So the technique checklist might be something like:

Attacker on front
    1) Wave goodbye (eye rake)
    2) High knee to the groin (knees and kicks to the front)
    3) Sprint with the arms (uppercuts and elbows to the front)
    4) Backstroke under arm pit
    5) Push them away, run

Attacker from behind
    1) Sprint with the arms (elbows to rear)
    2) Kick yourself in butt (heel hook to groin)
    3) Swim backwards under arm pit (butt first)
    4) Push them away, run

Not perfect, but a start.

11. Master Betty

personally, i think seminars are normally a waste of time for anyone who doesn't already train the techniques or intend to continue training them.

the idea that somehow a 2 hour training session is going to impart lasting wisdom in someone who doesn't possess the frame of reference in which to place it is ridiculous. That's why I think the best seminar I ever went to was the james doolan one where he spent 2 hours working on probably one of the most basic punch kick combinations. James fought my mate Rung and it was rape - Rung was simply many MANY classes above James, yet I've been to a few of Rung's seminar and whilst I've always learned from them and enjoyed them, nothing made as much of an in depth change in my technique as that James Doolan seminar.

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Best seminars I've gone to spent less than 15 minutes on physical technique per student (e.g. each student got about 15 minutes of physical work in) and almost 2 hours of preparation and awareness training prior to that (e.g. local crime trends, what rights you have under the local laws, what you can do if pulled over by police, etc.). Very useful because it focused on what you can do in your car to help avoid car jacking, getting fooled by a fake police officer, that kind of stuff.

The goal was to inform and open the eyes (awareness). Anything more requires that the student actually go regularly to some kind of training.

Speaking of training. About 10 years ago we had one of our female kickboxers on vacation down in Mexico with her friends, on the dance floor some stranger started to touch her inappropriately. She did an 1,2,3 combination jab, cross, and kick. Knocked the guy off the platform they were dancing on. She kicked his ass, and by that time every guy in the place was ready to kick his ass too (can you say club full of college aged guys on spring break). He was lucky the bouncers dragged him out of there.

The stuff works.

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The truth is that techniques shown in that instruction video are going to get a woman killed. Rape prevention is far more about situational awareness than stupid self-defence training. In a phyiscal confrontation it would be a rare woman indeed that could stand up to a man. You might not like this truth but there it is. You would need to train rigously for several years to even stand a chance. A two hour seminar is just false confidence. If it happens make sure you keep your head, survive and make sure you get a conviction because when he gets raped in prision it will hurt him far more.

The Bear.

14. Master Betty

Exactly. Gina Carano weighs the same as me and I would seriously doubt my ability to rape her if i were so way inclined - but she's hardly typical.

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Sometimes all you can ask for is exposure... open their eyes.

Some people have been fighting all their life, but with little formal training. You give these people, men and women, some tools and they have the attitude (fighting spirit) that can turn a bad situation into something they come out of.

What can someone make of any training unless they actually are exposed to it. Self-defense seminars can bring like minded people together, open doors for more training.

I personally had less issues with the techniques in the instructional video taking that all the situations were coming from surprise. The defender (woman) in each situation became more aggressive than the attacker (rapest). The issues come after the initial 3-7 seconds of counter attack from the defender, if the attacker is not dropped, the attacker might either give up (or run away) or they are going to get extremely aggressive. If the attacker gets extremely aggressive, this is a fight and even trained martial artists can easily lose a fight against a more aggressive attacker, especially with a weapon and a size advantage. And by lose, it could mean dead dead.

I'm also kind of old school in some ways too, so some of the more modern approaches I'm not as familiar with. I mean, in the video, Jason mentions something about MACE and using hair spray instead for shooting in the eyes... well back in the not so long ago days (gosh maybe I'm getting old), there were a few combos of MACE and pepper spray in the same aerosol restraint, but generally when trained for MACE it was aimed at the chest so that the fumes would rise into the mouth/nose and not at the eyes in a long burst. On the other hand, pepper spray was aimed at the eyes in shorter 2-3 second burst. These are the kind of details that I have more issue with than technique. Was Jason really meaning MACE, a combo of MACE and pepper spray, or was he referring to pepper spray and calling it MACE. Then again, maybe pepper spray is illegal where he lives, come to think of it.

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I don't want to get too far off topic here, as the original discussion was about the use of a real blade in a demonstration and/or training.

I would be interested though what proportion of time in a 2 hour course is spent on physical practice?

I have a client who can only get me through all his students in 2 hour blocks. I choose to spend one hour on a fear management/safety strategies/predator patterns/attack statistics/escape stories/legal and personal empowerment briefing and only 1 hour on physical tactics which comprises practice of physical strategies against pads, and then increasing pressurised application simulations against armoured assistants (depending on how big a team I can pull in to help me).

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

If it brings them in to a full training routine then fine but the truth is I've met too many women who have done boxercise or body combat and a few women's self-defense courses that think they are somehow prepared. In all honestly I've never met a woman that could even stick out my training regime. At most they last until the are expected to spar with the men at hard contact at then decide it's time to walk. I would love to have a nice mix at my club but I am not willing to compromise on the training level. I've met a few female fighters and they are a joy to work with but they are bloody hard to find.

The Bear.

18. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I'm calling BS on the testing process. If it's been tested in a fashion any less serious than
    • putting head gear and fingerless grapple/strike gloves on the victim
    • and groin box, gloves and headgear on the attacker,
    • using a paint stained training knife or shock knife
    • and allowing the attacker to resist at full force (punches, elbows, strangles, headbutts etc)

then it's not been tested.

I bet that if we saw testing of said technique as carried out at a seminar it would look like a redman test where the agressor bullishly resists for a while while mounting zero offence of their own then relents to the technique.
    Anyone with any worthwhile experience in contact martial arts should be able to see through those techniques easily and especially so when realising they are to be employed by untrained women after a 2 hour seminar.

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I agree with most of what you say, but disagree with this. I think paint staining knives can be useful - though they do have the drawback of leaving a mark on clothing with impact that would not necessarily cut through clothing - though than in itself can be a good heads up.

Shock knives I'm not fond of as you can't hack away at someone in a full contact frenzied manner with them. They can also cause a pain reaction at the slightest touch that is disproportionate to the amount of contact and likely penetration.

20. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

good points.

I think it's important for the victim to realise when they've been cut though. As someone who focuses their training on areas like this what sort of approach do you take?