LiuHeBaFa in UK

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by memoryman, Nov 19, 2006.

1. memoryman

memoryman Valued Member

Anyone know any instructors in uk?

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'memoryman',

Spooky - I've just started being interested in this art and have been searching too :)

Try www.dmaa.co.uk

I've ordered today a copy of an instructional tape on Water Boxing from Playwell...
    www.playwell.co.uk

Where are you based - and if you find a teacher - please let me know...

All the best.

Robert.

3. memoryman

memoryman Valued Member

thanks Robert, i saw that one but i'm manchester way. If you find anyone let me know.
    Did you check the links from that page? some interesting stuff.

4. wudangfajing

wudangfajing Banned Banned

Usually the system is taught as the end result of thaving studied Hsing Yi, Bagua an Tai Chi. It takes a while to learn but is loads of interesting ideas.

5. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I haven't seen his Liuhebafa, but can vouch for the quality of Mike Patterson's DVDs. They show a lot of martial applications. They're good applications too in my opinion, with a range of strikes, qinna and throws.

Liuhebafa 2 DVDs

6. BruceForsyth

BruceForsyth New Member

7. wudangfajing

They do wu style taichi. It is still the same thing you will learn Tai Chi Chuan, Hsing Yi, Bagua they might let you study LHBF. They look like they are very structured study approach. That is the site give the appearance of being very structured. Usually the older style will require you to study thru the systems like Hsing Yi, Bagua, Tai Chi before they show you how to develop LHBF.

LHBF is made from like this; Hsing Yi the steping, Bagua the hands, Tai Chi Chuan the body movement.

Will say in recent years have heard of some teaching just LHBF without doing the other system but not how i learned it.

8. wudangfajing

Here is somthing else i remember from class an my instructore at the time.
    He said that, LHBF contianed the 13 Posture of tai chi, 8 postures of bagua, 5 elements the 6 harmony of hsing yi. That is how you can build LHBF.

There is a little more to it but that is the basic structure to LHBF an that is why you will see many different forms of LHBF.

9. haoabout

haoabout New Member

10. MASTERforge

MASTERforge New Member

Sounds like LHBF is almost a mixed martial art (MMA) for the internal arts. I think if I remember rightly that Dr.Yang Jwing-Ming teaches it? He is an execellent resource for books and information making styles more accessible.

I would love to take a class or two to see what its like. The closest tai chi class I can get is a 'yang' traditional style from the phillipines with a hint of Chen. I am not joking!

How can they call it traditional yang with that lineage?

11. wudangfajing

Dr. Yang Jwing-MingHis hsing yi book is actually another guy in it that is the master in Hsing Yi an Tai Chi, Bagua is a person that also taught his own daughter LHBF Grandmaster Shou-Yu Liang. He has a series of both books an tapes out both him an his daughter Helen Liang. They do a different system of LHBF than i do.

12. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Well I guess Yang style comes from Chen style, so sometimes people look to the Chen style as an authoratitive source as well. And I think martial artists have been mixing things up, playing about with bits and pieces here and there and testing what works since time began. Every generation does things a bit differently. I think that in itself could be called traditional.

13. GingerFISH

GingerFISH New Member

A short clip of LHBF. The downward thrusting angle is important in executing the move:
    http://www.liuhebafa.com.hk/mov2.html
    The website was built by students learning LHBF here in Hong Kong, not by our teacher. Still in Chinese only. Films were taken by mobile phones. Instruction demos shown are also very simple and elementary.

Good LHBF teachers are hard to find and we estimated that there are only a handful around worldwide. Not sure if you can find one in UK. LHBF is a fighting form and you can test if he is a good LHBF teacher by testing his fighting skills. Forget those who promote LHBF as a health exercise.

By the way, I am so sad that my teacher is moving to USA end of this year!

14. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

you just wanted to say 'dirty ho' didn't you.. and post some film fu huh?

ps. that ain't bagua either. :)

16. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

That's right!

17. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

What should i say hum uh!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkMRtvYWs80&NR"]Liu He Ba Fa Chen Yu Tong - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7YHJHR3644&NR"]Liu He Ba Fa Chen Yu Tong 2 - YouTube[/ame]

18. Lau Sifu

Lau Sifu New Member

Liu he ba fa classes

Hi. I know this is an old thread but I have only just seen it. I teach Liu he ba fa classes every week at my martial art centre in Accrington, not far from Manchester. We are also about to begin a monthly session teaching more principle detail with myself and my friend from Harrogate. We are both indoor student of master hui kit wah from HK. In fact he is here in the UK right now. His lineage stems from grandmaster Wu.
    I may be too late to the party with this info but if there is still any interest out there give me a shout....

19. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi, yes I'm still interested but Accrington is a bit far to come for a session - as I'm based just outside of Gloucester these days - if you are thinking of running any weekend courses that would be most interesting...

20. Lau Sifu

Lau Sifu New Member

Liuhebafa

Hi again. Such a shame I didn't see this post a couple of weeks back! Master hui has been teaching awesome his internal power methods in seminars all month, but his last date is tomorrow in Harrogate. He flys back to Hk on Monday. We should keep in touch for the next time. If you are on Facebook you can join our group at northern dragons martial arts academy for seminar updates. He won't be in UK until next year now. But our monthly sessions will be 3hrs so may be worth the time? Otherwise I will try keep in touch!
    Regards
    Dave