list of weaponry from standard to more obscure

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So, partly for the new folks and partly just for the sake of it, I thought it might be useful to generate a list of weapons and weapon combinations common in FMA. (Inspired by a comment in the Weapons section recently)

Just for the cultural edification, let's also add the appropriate terminology.

The obvious ones:

• Single stick (solo baston or olisi)
    • Double stick (doble baston or olisi)
    • Stick (or sword) and dagger (espada y daga)
    • Dagger (baraw or daga)

Over to you.

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Just thinking about what I have....

Barong
    Kampilan

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Two styles of sword, for the new folks.

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Well, the largo baston, the long stick, can be interesting, although I've got limited experience with it.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You mean long staff? Or a longer one-handed stick? Just curious.

If you're talking about long staff, in my school we called it "kawayan," though I was told that actually technically meant "spear." I've also heard the term "sibat" for a staff.

6. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Karambit
    Dulo-dulo
    Balisong
    .357 magnum

:D

7. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

Long staff. I havent used in awhile, last time I practice I almost broke a lamp. Now I practice out side.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

tjabang

9. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

The five foot 2-handed, that's how it was introduced to me, anyway.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Let's do a little defining, rather than just rattling off weapon names. I know what dulo dulo, tjabang, kerambit, and balisong are. But our new folks may not.

I presume we all know what a 357 Magnum is, mind you. :D

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

A picture is worth a thousand words. See below. The short leafy ones are Barong and the long one is a Kampilan.

Attached Files:

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  13. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

"Kawayan" is actually the Tagalog word for "Bamboo", which is probably what the staff you used is made from.
    "Sibat" actually means Spear in Tagalog. "Bangkaw" is the Cebuano word for Spear.
    "Tungkod" is the Tagalog word for staff, especially when used as a walking stick.. it can also be used to refer to other walking sticks, such as canes.

14. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Thanks Hannibal,
    I think I can embed it here: (Click on the image to get the full-size version)
    [​IMG]
    The weapons of Moroland gives many names but is by no means exhaustive.. Also, at least one of them is not a weapon.. the Agong is a suspended gong used as a musical instrument... also some of them are spelled differently in other dialects, for example, the "Karasak" shield is spelled as "Kalasag" in Tagalog, and the "Utak" is spelled as "Itak" in Tagalog.
    Also there are weapons from Luzon and Visayas which are not on the shield, such as the Sansibar, Ginunting and Talibong from the Visayas and the Talonasan from Northern Luzon. This just highlights the diversity present in the Filipino Martial arts..

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The ballpoint pen:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4EOIs7IYf0"]Escrima Demo with a ball point pen - YouTube[/ame]

[​IMG]

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Citom for the win. Thanks for all that. It's terrific information.

For the record, the staff I was using was rattan, as usual. The little practice staff I made just for larks was bamboo, but it turned out to be completely useless in actual practice. :)

17. NinjaPlease

NinjaPlease Ninjas always say Please.

18. donb

donb restless spirit

I couldn't help myself answering this when you mentioned "obscure". There are several crazy weapons that flipinos have, specially when there is a "fraternity rumble" in my days. One weapon that stands out is called "indian pana", supposedly from bow and arrow perspective but not even close. The handle is a single bar(similar to a sling shot instead of "Y" shape), with a wire loop instead of a leather pouch for the stone/pebble/marble. The arrow is made of a 5 or 6 inch nail with the head flattened and sharpened, with a little hook for the wire and feathers/strips of cloth/sack for the tail. Very wicked!! Effective for about 15 feet. I think you can picture the rest. You can ask other Filipinos who may be familiar with it.
    Tirador - is a slingshot
    Bunal - anything that resembles a club - dospordos(2x2) or quatrocantos (4 corners)
    Latigo - your braided/weaved type leather whip

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  19. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

What's that little tine sticking out at the tip for on the Kampilan? Is the handle merely decorative or is there a reason for that shape?

20. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member