LINE Fighting for self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by CobraMaximus, Nov 1, 2004.

1. creeper2311

creeper2311 New Member

does any1 know if there is anywhere u can learn this in the uk? ive checked on-line and cant find out, thanks

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Firstly, hello and welcome to MAP.
    Secondly, please no more text talk.
    Thirdly, I doubt if it exists, let alone is actually taught.

3. creeper2311

creeper2311 New Member

i apologize but it's certainly taught to people, the US Marine Corps for one, it was designed by Ron Donvito in the late 80's. i am aware the Marines no longer use the system but i was just wondering if it is taught in the UK, thanks for any light anyone can shine on this question

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You revived a 7 year old thread on your first post? Way to go.

5. SpikeD

I meant that i doubt it is taught as a system in the UK, as I presumed that any US Marine bases here probably wouldn't teach to civvies.

Most if not all of the 'too deadly' techniques within this system are taught in various other systems that are taught in the UK. Just don't go believing any hype about one system being so awesomely deadly that it can defeat a jedi knight high on pcp.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In addition to spikes 1st reply can i add..

fourthly do not resurrect a thread from 2004 unless the fate of the planet depends on it.

Also, the "system" is crap so don't bother looking anway

7. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Another former US Marine here. One of the things being overlooked is that hand to hand just isn't that important in the military. It's primary use is to teach aggression, warrior spirit and a gung ho attitude. It may be subbed for physical training just for a change of pace.

Trust me, I'm going to shoot you from 200 meters away, before you even know I exist, long before we get to rolling in the dirt. Now I was in before LINE but we had a similar program. It sounds like ours was more focused on bayonet and knife fighting. However for each hour we spent doing that we probably spent 10 on the rifle range.

The military, any military, wants the most effective way of getting the job done and H2H just isn't that good of a tool.

8. creeper2311

creeper2311 New Member

jedi knight on pcp lol, i like that. i was interested because of what i had heard about it and was just trying to find out further info on the subject and maybe a few moves that might be useful at work. i have also heard a lot about Krav Maga, i know there a hundreds of martial fighting styles but i want something that is not going to take years to become proficent in. something which i can learn quick, the basics anyway, but which is very effective in the street type enviroment, thanks for any ideas. i boxed for many years as a boy/teenager but boxing is not always effective enough in some situations that arise. thanks

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's largely useless and your time is better spent elsewhere

No such art - you want a "quick fix" then you will ultimately be dissappointed

You can only learn a series of moves - you will still have to drill them to get proficient...which will take the years you are unwilling to commit so you will not acheive any ability level.

Then you were doing it wrong

10. SpikeD

Well all i can say is that after 10 years on and off studying Kung-Fu, i am now looking to find a boxing gym so that i can learn to punch, parry and dodge much more efficiently. Live and learn eh?