LIke the new gloves, but not exactly

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by pulp fiction, Nov 17, 2006.

1. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

At last WTF tournaments I have seen that almost all competitors wear gloves, but I also notices another thing. They also wear like a foot glove. It is like an instep guard but it has little holes for the toes.

Does anyone know anything about this instep protectors?

This instep protectors also come in the same matching colors as the new gloves.

I know that now you have to wear the gloves in order to compete, but I don't know if it is the same for this instep protectors.

This is a picture of these instep protectors. They are from Mooto.

Attached Files:

2. ronaldk

ronaldk Valued Member

:confused: hadn't seen those before. i use the plain cloth/spongey instep and shin pad.

[​IMG]

i've also seen the more sporty ones in tournaments

[​IMG]

and the "kicks" (1/2" foam shoes with open bottoms basically)

[​IMG]

those things you posted looks like an MMA glove for your instep. heh. probably hurts more to get kicked with that than with any of the other ones i posted.

3. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

I like the second one's...mmmm black...

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Nothing says "Goth Smackdown" like black vinyl! :D

I use the old cloth ones as I have torn the vinyl ones to shreds and stretched the elastic until they look like tongues on my feet.

5. Tansy

you a goff?

My instep's are balck with floor dirt ewwww, they do teh job just they don't stay in place. the strap on one's look ver good.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Seems odd to insist of wearing gloves for WTF TKD. A format not exactly reknowned for its punching. :confused:

7. Tansy

my teacher has started to use them, but he is cross training his pupils so that is why.

Tans

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Me? A goff? Nope but I have several friends that are/were into the lifestyle. I was merely noting your Goth comment from another thread. I don't miss too much now do I! Of course I am not so sure how I would respond if my opponent were in full on Goth make up and padded up! :D

9. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Really, no one has seen them???????????

10. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I have a set of both hand and foot. The foot "socks" are not officially part of the required equipment, but I think they will be in the very near future.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

that's what i wanted to say. here you can see junior fighters wear gloves and instep 'protection', but senior competitors simply stick to the required equipment.

12. Artikon

I wear heavy padding on my foot when training and when competing I will stick to the lighter "socks" unless it is an "official" tournament or competition then I have to stick to the guidelines of no instep protectors. Course I've hurt my feet so many times now I don't really have much feeling anyways so maybe the instep protectors are a little redundant. :D

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hahaha exactly, i can't remember when i've used any kind of instep protection :D

14. Zaknafien

Zaknafien New Member

The pads are an interim measure to get everyone used to them in preparation for WTF electronic scoring, requiring sensors on the hands and feet.

15. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

That sounds familiar, LOL : :D not feeling anything with my insteps.

16. removal

removal Valued Member

The gloves and the 'shoes' have been regulation for competitions by the WTF since early 2005. This was introduced at the time of revision of point scoring - 3 points for striking when both feet are off ground, as well as the change in the reduction of sparring area and sparring round time was reduced. Reason was to make the sparring 'safer' - less knockouts etc.

Problem is these extras cost a fair bit and take forever to get on when you've got odd shaped feet!

17. Artikon

The "shoes" are still not officially in the WTF rules as of article 4.2 of the WTF rules and regulations; therefore aren't used in official events. . . yet.

18. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Do you know if they will make it official about those instep gloves?

19. removal

removal Valued Member

Okay, Artikon, sorry...wasn't aware of article 4.2 :)
    But, they've definitely been regulation in all Korean competitions since 2005. You can't spar in an official competition without them. As it's prevalent in Korea, and Korean competitions are typically run by the WTF, I had thought it must be WTF prescribed regulations.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  20. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I doubt it, they made it official for the kids at the same time they introduced the gloves. I would havethought they'd introduced them to the adult matches then if they were going to do it?