Lighter on my feet

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Tom1uk, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

on a serious note though, my instructor had told me when he took MT that they used to make them walk on the balls of their feet for 20 or 30 minutes of class a few times a month. I have been trying that to help with my balance. I feel that strengthening the calf muscle can help with making one a little lighter on their feet. Of course jumping rope and all of that can help. You can even do the drills that you see many boxers do, football players, etc and set up some rope on the ground in squares and practice skipping into each square back and forth. The more you do it, the faster you will get.

2. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

Hey guys,

I've started skipping every class as a warm up (used to run on the spot), I'm struggling to get to grips with it but I'm getting better. I have noticed that it Cain's my legs, so it is doing the job I would say. I have also upped my running but again that's a work in progress as I'm struggling with that.

We did drills tonight in class in which we blocked incoming kicks, again my legs were very slow. I was seeing the kick but my legs were struggling to meet them in time. I am finding being agile increasingly different. I work a lot on punching and moving on the bag but I find I now struggle with that.

I am overweight, but I have lost considerably. I was 18st 7 when I started in February and I am now 15st 10 but yet I find I feel no lighter on my feet.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

You have to keep going and if you have a good trainer, they will get you there

Losing weight doesn't mean that technique will get better

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep up with it man! It doesn't happen overnight. It probably took me 3 months to really get decent (meaning being able to skip without a problem, not tricking or anything) at the rope and start really improving in my footwork. These things take time.

To the bolded, you should be excited. You're entering the phase where you see things, but now you'll be working on how to react to them quicker. You usually go from 1.) No0B who doesn't know what's coming at him to 2.) No0B who knows to at least keep his hands up and throw punches to 3.) Starting to see things and calculate what to do, but still to slow, to 4.) getting good reaction time to deal with attacking opponents to 5.) setting your own attacks stuff up with good success.

You're moving right along man!