Liddell vs. Silva

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by stellhornata, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Makes sense, and it is too bad.

But the Pride finals are going to be great.

2. freak

freak Valued Member

silva will wreck chuck, he has no chance

3. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Damn, my favorite Pride fighter and my favorite UFC fighter. Dream match, of which I will pick no winner. But i doubt it wil occur. Too good to be true.

4. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

UFC is crap as it stands IMHO. Deserves to be pushed aside by something like Pride.

5. stump

stump Supersub

So what makes you think it's crap? The fighters? The rules? What?

6. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

The rules.

7. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

which rules specifically? no kicks when your opponent is down?

8. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Yeah, well, and in general it just looks far more brutal and "real" in Pride, that's what I like to watch.

9. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I see UFC having a better future than Pride...for one simple reason.

The name.

10. stump

stump Supersub

You mean more real like the way elbows are not allowed in Pride???

11. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

while I think for the most part Pride has the better fighters, at least in the HW division, I'm still not sure which ruleset I like better. I do have one question about rules. Are elbows not allowed in Pride, or are they just not used as much. I haven't seen that many PFC fights, but the ones I have seem to have a distinct lack of elbows.

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

In America and England, maybe. In many other places in the world, Japan especially (where the money is in MMA), the UFC is a fondly regarded novelty
    I personally much prefer Pride to UFC - having a lot more money than the UFC (and not being afraid to spend it) leads to having better fighters by and large, better production and hotter ring girls. I also prefer their rules. The UFC's cool and I like most of what they do, but I think as an organisation, Pride is better
    Wolf: Pride doesn't allow elbows to the head, but they're allowed to the body. I personally much prefer this since it cuts right down on stoppages caused by cuts

13. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

I mean like the way that 3rd Liddel vs. Ortiz fight went, a mind numbing 10 minutes (or whatever amount of time it was), in which they both tried to jaqb each other until Liddel eventually decided to go for a takedown in the last couple of seconds. It bored the <deleted> out of me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2006
  14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Eh? I think you mean Sylvia/ Arlovski - Liddell and Ortiz have fought once :)
    Boring fights happen in every promotion, that's not the fault of the organisation. That said, if that fight had happened in Pride, both fighters would have had the 10% purse deduction for every card the ref had to pull for incentive

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  15. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

First off yellow cards are the worst idea of all time. I boycott Pride PPV because of it.(I will watch on the internet though)

Silva is ranked number one lightheavy and Chuck is number two... I think that's about to change.

Lidell upped his conditioning and training and now is a completely new fighter. All of his last fights he walked through with no problems. I can't see anyone beating Chuck anymore. I'd say he's the quickest at 205.

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I say the name for a reason...UFC is a much better name brand that PFC.

I also prefer Pride, but the UFC is gaining on them as far as money goes which will lead to better fighters, production, and ring girls.

The brand is everything, ask Coke or Pepsi.

17. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I don't know why you hate the carding system, I love it.

As to Silva vs Chuck, I really do not see Chuck having any advanatges...

There is a reason Liddel has walked through his recent competetion, and it is because his competetion was low quality. Silva has just a smuch if not better KO power than Liddel, likely the better chin, better stamina, more experience vs top fighters etc....

Liddel's standup is pretty suspect, I cannot remember him fighting a real good stand up fighter(I could be wrong). He is mostly a swing for the fences type who has been lucky not to run into someone with superior striking, which SIlva has.

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

That's what I was getting at - only no one calls it PFC and never will since it sounds so stupid. The Pride brand is miles bigger worldwide, has much more marketing and merchandising attached to it (hell, you can buy fighter action figures and Pride lunchboxes!) and is generally a long long way ahead of the game compared to the UFC. Pride and K-1 are practically the national sport over in Japan with their New Years Eve shows being some of the most watched shows of the Japanese and Korean TV year. The UFC may have cornered the market in America thus far as far as the name goes, but with the quality of the smaller shows coming up like WEC, Strikeforce and WFA all putting together good cards with big names on them - not to mention Pride and K-1's Heroes doing shows in America and Europe, I don't see it staying that way much longer unless Zuffa actually spends some of their money on giving their fighters pay rises and starts signing some top talent which they're just not doing right now
    Hang on a second dude: you're saying Randy Couture, Jeremy Horn, Alistair Overeem and Tito Ortiz are low quality? :confused:

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I think the UFC will win the U.S market, and will eventually beat out Pride in the majority of the worldwide market.

No doubt Pride will be able to secure the Japanese and surrounding areas, but the UFC has a better name/brand.

As to my mention of low quality, my apologies.

Did not mean to say they are low quality, but that they were not as good as the Pride contenders. A better choice of words would be that Pride has higher quality fighters.

20. Sever

Sever Valued Member

We'll have to differ on that one, I think. If the UFC's going to do it, it's got a very big uphill battle ahead of it since Pride has the biggest markets (Japan and Brazil) pretty much cornered. America and the UK are years behind in terms of "mainstream" revenue
    Yeah, by and large they do, and Silva's beaten some very tough opposition, but it would be remiss to not mention that a large portion of his record is made up of cans as well, whereas the level of Liddell's opposition has been pretty consistant