Liddell vs. Silva

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by stellhornata, Jul 9, 2006.

1. stellhornata

stellhornata New Member

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wanderlei silva vs. chuck liddel dana just announced it. will be first good fight ufc has had i think in a while that isnt a rematch SWWWWWWWEEEETTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! this is gonna be awsome im so exited im like a little schoolgirl!YAY!

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

First- Is this for real?

Second- What about Liddel and Babalu and Silva's semi-final(and potential final) matches in pride GP?

Kind of worried one or the other will be injured and the fight will be cancelled.

What are the rules? And will it be a UFC or Pride event?

Depending on all the previous issues, I pick Wandy by murder maybe with an axe.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

This has happened before. At UFC 49 they announced Randy Couture vs Silva, Silva came into the ring, there were photos taken and the same thing was said. It didn't happen then and I'm willing to bet it won't happen now

4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Kind of what I suspected, some sort of publicity stunt.

Just doesn't seem feasible as Liddel has to fight Babalu and Silva has to fight Cro-cop/Nog and possible both AND then possibly Fedor.

BTW...can Liddel beat Babalu?

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

It's pretty much a publicity stunt, I think. Pride have a Las Vegas show coming up in October, and in the wake of TUF, Pride's only known to the hardcore MMA fan in the US, so if Wanderlei comes in and gets talked up by Dana White, wearing a Pride t-shirt, the Pride name gets out there and there's more chance of people buying the PPV or getting tickets to see what it's all about. The UFC gets more PPV buys for the Chuck/ Babalu fight since people will want to see if Chuck gets by Babalu and takes on Silva
    As to whether Chuck can beat Babalu - I'm saying yes, but don't bet the house on it. The last time Babalu lost a fight was to Chuck all the way back in 2002 after eating a shin to the face, but both fighters have improved a lot since then. Babalu's got great submissions, great wrestling and good standup too; he's arguably the most well rounded fighter Chuck's fought in a while. If Chuck doesn't come in in top shape, we could see a new champion

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

That's to bad it would be a great fight.

Pride really needs to get into the U.S and exploit the UFC's rise. I have seen he UFC mentioned in Sports Illustrated which is a sign people are starting to recognize it, but Pride so far has been absent.

Babalu's the dude with the physco staredown isnt he?

7. McClanahan

McClanahan New Member

Hello everyone.

As many of the already know, during UFC 61 it was announced that Chuck Liddell would be fighting Pride's Middleweight Champion, Wanderlei Silva this November. I have been waiting to see this fight for a while now and I'm still not sure who I think will win.
    Chuck Liddell has the huge right hand and great takedown defense as well as a great striking game and an improved ground game as well (i heard he is currently learning BJJ) Chuck has a good chin, and when he is rocked he can recover quickly (the Guy Mezger fight). His conditioning has come into however, such as in the fight against Quinton Jackson.
    Wanderlei Silva is a great striker who can pretty much work from any postion. He has those devastating knees which he has won tons of fights with. And from what I have seen, his conditioning is great. Wanderlei can take a punch too. He stands his ground and trades and usually he gets the better of his opponent and they hit the canvas.
    I can see this fight going in a lot of ways and I have a lot of questions about it too. If Chuck lands his right hand, will it be enough to put Wandy out? Is Wandy's, in my opinion, seemingly better striking ability going to beat Chuck to pieces? Can Chuck take Wandy's famous knee strikes to the head? If Chuck does knock Wandy down, is their a possiblity that the UFC ref would stop the fight early to ensure a home victory? Are the UFC's rules going to place a hinder on Wandy's game as they did when he fought Tito Ortiz? And I would hate to see this, but could it be a boring fight Arlovski vs. Sylvia 3 style? I have many more questions, but I would like to here your opinion and comments on the fight. Is it going to be the Iceman, or the Axe Murderer?

McClanahan :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I really need to see some more Silva fights. I know how chuck fights, and I know Silva's reputation, but I haven't seen many of his fights. So I can't make a good call on this. If anyone can point me to where some of his fights can be found please let me know.

As far as the Lidell/Jackson bout, I think Lidell is a totally different guy after that.

9. stump

stump Supersub

Try here for a start

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37AENeFA2Y"]YouTube[/ame]

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There were two threads on this subject so I've merged them both and moved them to Fight Discussions. Aren't I nice? :Angel:
    Like I said in the other thread, I'm 90% sure this fight won't happen. If it does, Silva by knees

11. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Ok, just watched this clip:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRRynD-wjT0"]Wanderlei Silva v. Quinton Jackson II[/ame]
    It's a highlight, but seems to be a pretty complete one. That's enough to make me scared for Chuck. I'd like to see him pull it out if the fight happens, but DAMN it's gonna be tough.

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I also go with Silva, but to answer the question of this being a Sylvia/Arlovski 3 borefest...no it won't.

Silva is known as the Axe Murderer for a reason, he is nearly always extremely aggresive and Chuck isn't afraid of mixing it up either.

13. stump

stump Supersub

This one would be genuinely too close to call. One of the most anticipated fights for a long time - if I had to pick I'd go for Silva but as he's fighting under UFC rules we'll have to see how that affects him....and anyone who underestimates Liddell is a fool.

14. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Is it certain that they will not use special rules?

15. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

silva and chuck have virtually the same fighting style . except that silva's version is 10 times better.

16. McClanahan

McClanahan New Member

I doubt that the UFC would use special rules. That could anger some politicians. ;)

McClanahan :D

17. stump

stump Supersub

Not talking about special rules - but there is the issue of being used to the ring v the cage and the other minor rule changes (Pride does not allow elbows in certain cases but allows soccer kicks. Liddell is on home territory so to speak - and Silva has done better in the Ring historically. When two fighters are closely matched as these two are these things can have a disproportionate impact

18. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I just cannot believe the UFC is willing to give Pride so much publicity, especially when they are making their push into the U.S market

19. stump

stump Supersub

There's more than enough room for both - Pride will help to grow the market for MMA in the US - whatever marketshare they steal from the UFC in the short term will be more than offset by the expansion of popularity long term.

Overall I think it's a healthy move.

20. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Having seen the brackets for September's Pride OWGP Final tournament, I've got to say I really see no way this fight will happen. Silva's fighting Mirko Crocop in the first round, then if he gets by him, he's got to face either Antonio 'Minotoro' Noguiera or Josh Barnett in the same night. The way Silva and Crocop fight, I'd say there's next to no chance that Silva gets out of this one healthy enough to go against another top fighter like Chuck in November. The paranoid conspiracy theorist in me suspects this is the "get out clause" of this publicity stunt: the fight doesn't happen due to Silva picking up an injury in this tournament (Chuck may well pick up an injury against Babalu; he's a very tough dude and shouldn't be taken lightly) and both organisations save face, but both orgs have had their PPV buys before hand