Levels of competence

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Jul 16, 2002.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Just out of curiousity has anyone ever heard of these before, and where would you place your own techniques?

1. Unconsciously unable - can't do the technique, and can't see why not, some even convince themselves that they can
    2. Consciously unable - the most demoralising, can see that they're doing it wrong but can't seem to fix it
    3. Consciously able - able to do the technique, but has to think it through
    4. Unconsciously able - fires off a technique purely as reflex, with no forethought whatsoever

Last edited: Jul 17, 2002
  2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've heard of something similar, but that was some kind of educational psychology scale, and nothing to do with MA. It could well be applied to it though.

3. Rowlie

Rowlie New Member

As a teacher (11-16 year olds) this applies too. It is heartbreaking when a special needs student is convinced that they want to become a vet and that they see no reason why they can't realise this. It was also true of 'Popstars'. How many 'singers' auditioned who had absolutely no idea of the fact that they couldn't sing, etc. Not that I watched it.

4. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Very well worded CKD. I personally think that my aikido is, for the main part, at stage 3 - consciously able - though not necessarily for all of my techniques (ie - the ones that I got shown for the first time on Tuesday!). My personal opinion, which I have mentioned in a number of other threads, is that until they reach stage 4 then I won't be able to rely on them in a real situation as the time taken to think about what technique to go with and to actually do it is normally long enough for somebody to hurt me.

5. Spike

Spike New Member

That`s the aim I`ve always had.
    In a sort of cross-thread parallel.
    When you can develop a kick as stage three, ie. when you`ve trained to the stage where you know you`re attacker is in range and either distracted enough or slow enough for you to land a kick, I would argue that Kicking is definetely beneficialto have as a weapon in your arsenal

"I wish to complain about this UKESOL wot I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique."