Lets Talk Tae Kwon Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chazz, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Ok members lets get some Tae Kwon Do talk goin’ on in here. Either about ITF/WTF, forms, tradition, tournaments, testing, school, or anything else you want. Lets Talk :cool:

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Ok Chazz, I know nothing about Tae Kwon Do but in addition to what we were talking about earlier re: Heian Yondan and the similarities that a form you do and this one, a few questions:

What sort of timing do you do the double hands (Haiwan Uke) at the beginning?

Do you Kiai (shout) twice aswell?

When turning into the shallow back stance (kokutsu dachi) open your arms into the tense double arm block and then go on to kick punch, punch - what interpretations of these moves do you have? (Just wondering if they differ from ours?)

That's all...for now ;)

Melanie

3. Chazz

Melanie:
    Heian Yondon (we call Pyeung Han Four) Most of the moves are the same. We do all the movements on a one second count.

We Kehap (shout) four times. At the first movement, going down the middle both times and the last movement. Our version of that form ends differently. Ours are in an I formation.

The blocks we think of as if someone is coming to the head with a double hit to the head or a grab with both hands, (the spreading of the arms) the push at the begining we teach as to gain distance between you and the attacker.

I know it may be different than yours.

Thanks for the question and take care

4. waya

waya Valued Member

Chazz,
    Are you an ITF or WTF practitioner? My instructor trained WTF but has altered all of our defense techniques to Hapkido techniques and retained the WTF forms. I don't have much experience with the ITF forms at all but have tried to research them a bit.

Rob

5. Chazz

Waya,
    I am ITF Tae Kwon Do. Thats what i study and teach. I know some about the WTF due to having friends in it.

Chazz

6. waya

waya Valued Member

I have been looking into the ITF style of TKD a bit lately. I think (this is what I have heard) that the ITF stuck closer to the Oh Do Kwan that Gen. Choi originally founded/taught? Not sure about the truth of this, as I say it is something I have recently heard. But Oh Do Kwan and ITF-TKD are said to be the more combative forms of the art so that has sparked some interest in me.

Rob

7. Chazz

ITF is under what General Choi taught. We do the exact form that he does. When he changes them for a reason, we change. If you are looking for a Tae Kwon Do that is close to the General. That you cant get no closer than ITF, and personally i think that the best org. that is with the ITF is the ATA or the ITU, im with the ITU/ITF.

From what i seen. WTF is more of a sport TKD while ITF is more of a traditional TKD. (thats just from what i have seen)

-Chazz

8. waya

waya Valued Member

WTF is generally alot more sport oriented. The school I originally trained at taught more Olympic sparring than anything, and their performance on the Poomse was very lax. Since changing schools the only WTF thing we use is the Poomse, we do moderate sparring and Hapkido defense including joint locks, throws, and some grappling. I also train Hapkido seperately under the same instructor. But he isn't a big fan of sparring or sports in the arts so he doesn't push it.

9. Chazz

Sport fighting is great dont get me wrong. It works good for tournaments or point fighting. Extended fighting is good at well. It works on endourance. The school i teach does a lil of both. We spar by rounds, or continous, as well as by points. To me, working with all of them helps to be a better sparring compeditor.
    -Chazz

10. Kendo_Cougar

Kendo_Cougar New Member

I dont like Tae kwon do.. I just dont like Kicking all day. Kendo's better! but Im not saying Tae kwon di's bad, im just saying i dont like it, but its sort of cool...

11. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Hi Chazz

I thought that the Pyeung Han were actually Tang Soo Do/ Chung Do Kwan TKD patterns. The Chang Hun of ITF don't have them. Do you practice a mix of patterns since the Pyeung Han are actually derived from the Pinan Kata (from which the Heian are derived and from which the Chang Hun are derived)?

Do you sine wave or hip twist?

12. Chazz

Matt.
    My Sr. instructor was with the Chung Do Kwan for a long time. When he started back with the Chang Hun forms we thought that we would leave Pyeung Han 4 into it. I do like the form. It is a well done form that i think that beginners should learn to do. It has moves in it that may help them in the long run.

13. Naveeda

Naveeda New Member

hi melanie my name is naveeda an i am new i am in green belt what belt are you in?

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

:D lol :laugh:
    -TkdWarrior-

15. Helm

Helm New Member

Well imo ITF TKD is a soft version of TKD, comparitively to WTF.
    When starting MA's people are very easily imtimidated by any "contact" and greatly fear being hurt, this is why alot of people turn to ITF when they look at WTF.

Its a little unfair to say the WTF focuses on sport, as it greatly differs school to school, and even within schools the lessons.
    However, i believe you can learn a pattern perfectly with practise in a month, but sparring ability is always improving, so it makes sense to focus more on the sparring. This is the strong point of WTF, as they use body protectors, allowing full use of techniques (apart from face punches), you can take a big hit and not break any bones.

I have friends in ITF and i think they miss out greatly by only having very light, and not very much sparring experience.

Saying this, im not here to offend ppl, but whatever system you come from, its natrual to be bias towards. Anyone else from WTF?

Oh, one thing, there are so many more WTF practicioners, but whenever MA TKD forums are around, everyone is from ITF, whats that up with? =)

16. waya

waya Valued Member

From my experience in training WTF TKD, practitioners of that area are alot more close-minded to other systems and ideas.

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Or alternatively it could be because whenever they do mention that they do WTF they take so much flack that they never feel like revealing their art again.

18. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<Well imo ITF TKD is a soft version of TKD, comparitively to WTF.
    When starting MA's people are very easily imtimidated by any "contact" and greatly fear being hurt, this is why alot of people turn to ITF when they look at WTF.>
    lol i found this exactly opposite...we r the ones(ITF) who do bare knuckles hard contact, even asked once those WTF guys to do hard contact without protection they were cryin like ...
    it depends upon the instructors n students...somewhere ITF is good somewhere WTF ... i hav seen Some Darn good figthers in WTF too...
    well i hav felt those body protectors adds to nuisance...u can't even execute all techniques??how much is that true?
    <Oh, one thing, there are so many more WTF practicioners, but whenever MA TKD forums are around, everyone is from ITF, whats that up with? =)>
    this is so true...there r more WTF practioners but they never come in front...

Helm basically if u compare all over the world it's WTF which is more sport oreinted, even Gen Choi become President of ITF he kept refining TKD n kept working for ITF TKD. i hav found that WTF is doing those patterns still(patterns r not changed but the way it's done ie the shotakan way)muk do kwan is another TKD which is more traditional like ITF it depends...
    just recently Master Leong told us that now in our sparring the takedowns grappling and all Hosin suls will be added(pre arranged sparring) where practioners hav to execute most of those techniques in stipulated time n that too precisely...
    this would be fun :)
    if u start swearing by the encylcopedia of TKD by Gen Choi, u'll become Traditional :D
    -TkdWarrior-

19. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

TKDwarrior wrote:

<this is so true...there r more WTF practioners but they never come in front...>

I DO WTF TKD :p hehehehe. Hey I admit it. I never saw ITF, so can't judge. I did do TSD, and I think TSD is better. Very traditional as far as traning goes (less sport, more self defense).

20. Helm

Helm New Member

Well you say bare knuckles, but it is semi contact, so its a half truth really.

The body protector has been developed over many years to be light weight to allow ALL techniques to be used, while allowing full contact to be used.

I find when sparring with ITF peeps, they very rarely use back or side kicks, because they risk injury and hard contact in ITF, its a casualty of the system. WTF can do anything ITF can do, in terms of no-protection sparring or whatever, ITF just lacks the insight that would allow it to go full contact, in that respect, and up to that point the arts are very similar.