lets talk about religious fundy wackaloons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Trinities are fairly common in religious mythos so it isn't that surprising.

2. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Yeah, but how do you claim to be monotheistic? Sounds like three gods to me, or maybe one God and two avatars. Either way it's skating on thin ice from the monotheistic standpoint.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Wave-particle duality sounds like two different things to most people, but it's actually one.

While I don't agree with religion in general I don't see that a trinity necessarily conflicts with monotheism.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

On a connected question: where does the idea of "the holy spirit" as a third entity come from?

I spent years going to Sunday school as a kid, and this was never really explained. God is the big boss; Jesus is his son; where does the holy spirit come into it as a separate being? I remember bits from the bible where God actively did stuff as a single entity, Jesus did likewise, but I don't remember the holy spirit acting as a single, definable character which would make up the three.

5. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

So I'm going to hell becaus I bypass the young whippersnapper and pray directly yo dad? Cool.

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

When asked how to pray by his disciples, Jesus began his instructional prayer with "our Father who is in heaven".

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Sure that seems correct.

They are wacky.:)

A wackaloon from like ten years ago:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/07/22/con-man-for-christ/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It doesn't "work" in an equation sense. It's not an intellectual thing. It is a mystery. Nobody actually understands it, but it is the basis for the religion all the same because it experientialy works. It just -- does.

There is one deity, "God," with a three-part inner relationship thing, Father and Son and Spirit. The Nicene Creed (link here) tries to get that across.

"I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible." ---> monotheism right out the door. This is the opening line of the Creed. One God.

"And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made." ---> begotten is an ill-defined word but the faith is that Jesus was *not* sired like Zeus sired children in Greek mythology. He came out of God the Father, but he did so "before all ages." That means that Jesus has no beginning. There was no time when he did not exist.

"True God of true God" and "of one essence" mean that Jesus and the Father are a single deity. In other words, that *was* God walking around in Galilee.

"And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets." ----> the term "Lord" is reserved for God, so this indicates divinity. The Spirit is "worshipped and glorified" with the Father and Son, again indicating divinity.

But, wait, the opening line of the Creed says there there is only one God. The body of the Creed sets forth three -- um, what shall we call them? The theological term is "persons." One God, three persons.

The Creed did not answer all of the questions. Four subsequent Ecumenical Councils addressed further questions about Jesus, and decreed (for clarification) that he was not merely a man but God. He was one person with two natures, divine and human, so that he was 100% God and 100% human at the same time with neither confusion nor division inside himself. Because he is God, his birth mother Mary can rightly be called "the mother of God," or in Greek, "theotokos" -- the God-bearer. Correspondingly, Jesus had two wills, one divine and one human.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

In John 14, with Jesus speaking: "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. ... But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

The opening verses of Acts 2 have the Holy Spirit messing with people at the Pentecost feast.

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Aki, thanks for the answer. I still don't understand but what you said makes it a little clearer.

There a lot of people in the pulpit right now who disagree with you on this part though. They seem pretty sure they know the answer. :)

11. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

I don't think Harry Potter is evil. Its just a childrens story like Peter Pan.

12. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

want to leave this here. :)

Fred Luter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vEr57ikshs"]Christian Pastor Blames Gays for North Korea War Threat - YouTube[/ame]

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to hide and read Harry Potter in my closet. :cool:

14. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Harry Potter, so that's what happened to you...

15. Ero-Sennin

That, a ban on Carebears (yep), Power Rangers, and the Animorph books. All evil satan stuff.

16. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

[​IMG]

It's sacrilegious to think this is anything but awesome.

17. Ero-Sennin

Without having to look it up, I still remember the flute call thing the green ranger had to use to call his Zord up from the water. All these years later :cry:

Duhhh, nuh nuh, nuh nuh nuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

18. cuongnhugirl

Also worth mentioning, the reason the gender roles were different in the past. In the old days men had to do a lot of work by hand we have machines to do now. In those days men worked 60 to 80 hour weeks under brutal conditions that wouldn't be allowed today. Men were the breadwinners under those circumstances because no man would ask a woman to work like that. Today things are totally different, work is not nearly as hard as it once was. Steven Anderson doesn't seem to take that into consideration.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

How far back are you going?

You forget that during the war it was the women who did the factory and farm work.

Things are harder now in a different way.

They physical workload may be lighter, mainly due to modern machines and equipment, but people demand much more for their money.

We used to work hard, finish the job and go home. Now my guys are kept on site by the client until every last drop is squeezed from them.
    Not only that but their wives are working while the grandparents or child minders have the kids.
    When the child is sick one parent stays off of work to baby sit, which means loss of revenue and financial hardship.

I think it's wrong to say it's not as hard as it once was.

I know many people, me included, who still work 60 - 80 hours per week.

20. cuongnhugirl

I was refering to factory work mainly. How it has gotten easier and safety conditions have much improved and companies are no longer allowed to exploit workers the way they did in the days of the robber barons like Carnegie and Vanderbilt and Rockefeller. As for women doing the factory and farm work during the world wars, most people of either gender would rather do physical labor, however hard, than risk being killed in the trenches of Europe or the Pacific.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013