Let's hear about female masters (TKD)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Thomas, Jul 30, 2005.

1. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

I absolutely agree, and one of the reasons why TKDT is generally a waste of money. Whichever Grandmaster is featured usually has one of his students write the article and take the pictures. Hee Il Cho does this often. However, his daughter writes the article and his son takes the pictures. Not exactly hard hitting informative journalism. In the recent B.C. Yu article, one of Yu's female black belts wrote the article.
    One of my favorites is when the Instructor (American or Korean-doesn't matter) is kicking some student while looking away from him into the camera and usually smiling or growling. Apparently making sure the camera gets his good side is more important that ensuring the safety of the student.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If it's a waste of money... don't buy it and don't read it. You sure know a lot about a magazine you don't like and you sure seem set on trying to derail the topic and defame certain TKDists.

If you don't have anything more to contribute to the topic, would you mind leaving the thread alone please?

Speaking of the topic:
    Anyone else have direct experience working with female TKD masters in a dojang or at a seminar? Let's hear about it.

(Disclaimer: not trying to moderate... just hoping to get the thread on topic and away from potential flaming)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  3. TraditionalTKD

I don't buy it, but I do look through it to see if one time, ONE TIME, it surprises me and is actually worth buying. I am invariably disappointed. It's not like I'm commenting on a magazine I've never seen. I won't bash other Instructors or black belts, but I will honestly comment and state my opinion. Sometimes someone has to be honest.

See my above post for my experiences with female Masters at our seminars lest you think I never stick to topic.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

What Thomas is referring to... is your fixation first with Yu and now with TKDT.
    Comments and opinions are welcomed on MAP as long as they follow the TOS guidelines.

However, let's try to keep to the subject of the thread from this point on.

I came across GM Tae Yun Kim's site the other day http://www.jsw.com/instructors/gm.html who happens to be TKD's first female grandmaster.

5. franksv

franksv Valued Member

My first tkd teacher was a middle aged woman.Looking back,she was the best tkd teacher I have trained with.At the time,I thought she was petty,latter on I came to appreciate her strict teaching of the basic/foundation work.I have trained under two male tkd masters,plus one male hsing-I instructor,since my time with the her.Only my xy instructor comes close,as far as teaching.I don't know,maybe its just that women tend to have less ego and a bit more patience.Or maybe women are less likly to hold back teaching cuz thier not worried about looking bad on sparring night.

6. franksv

franksv Valued Member

By the way,I can take or leave all the martial arts mags.I d rather go outside and spend the time working on my stuff then read an article about it.When I sit down to read,its usually a book.But thats just me.

7. TraditionalTKD

I first read about Tae Yun Kim about 20 years ago in Tae Kwon Do Times, that bastion of martial arts journalistic integrity. The impression I got from her photos was that she was someone not above showing some skin to get published. I don't mean posing nude, I mean allowing more flesh (chest, leg etc.) than might be considered proper to get publicized.
    Female Instructors, in my opinion, walk a very fine line. If they act hardcore and intense in the attempt to be taken seriously, they run the risk of being considered "bitches", much like serious businesswomen. However, if they lighten up and try to be nice, they run the risk of not being taken seriously.
    In my opinion, I'd rather have an intense female Master Instructor willing to get sweaty and work.
    And as for the Tae Yun Kims, Cynthia Rothrocks, and others of their ilk willing to bare some flesh (and in Rothrock's case, more than some) to be seen, to me they are beneath contempt. If you can't get ahead on your own merits you don't deserve to.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Well then you would absolutely love this thread
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9424

As I had mentioned somewhere in this thread....when I first saw this "subject" of Martial Arts Babes I thought.... cool, lets see just how many beautiful women are out there that are involved in the martial arts.

The fact is TraditionalTKD (and this is coming from a female :) ) .... that the average woman believes ma training de-feminizes a woman. As women, most of us have to guard against becoming so de-sensitized to our emotional side that we risk losing our femininity. We've all seen it in the movies - Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, the female character Perez in Aliens and others in the role of a female in a man's world have become more macho than the great majority of women. And so we see many women feariing this defeminization so much that they hesitate to get involved in the martial arts.

We women all seem to be fairly adept at de-sexing our demeanor on the mat and capturing our feminine side again when we're off the mat.

I don't believe showing some skin has earned female martial artists promotion in rank (as you say "getting ahead on your own merit") So that is what you believe.... you cannot be attractive & skilled at the same time?

... look at the males in the Hunks thread..... I'm sure they all have gotten ahead all due to just skill :)

Guess you have alot of contempt to go around ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  9. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I wish my wife would have stuck it out.She quit after our first kid was born in 99.Before tkd she was a runner(strong legs)and when we started,she was a much better kicker than me and that was cool.

What she always did'nt like.Why she left and went back to just running.

1.Always getting paired up with kids or women.The ladies in that dojang where not intense enough for her and she felt she was wasting her time(no sweat).This mattered greatly to her after being pregnant because she was trying to lose weight from the pregnancy.

2.She always felt that the male Master,was not giving enough attention to female students.It was rare that he would take a woman off to the side for fine tuning a form or technique.But very common for this to happen with his select group in the mens club.

3.Due to the fact that she felt women where getting lost in the crowd,she was not happy about paying the same amount as the men.

I have tried to give her the material I have a few times but she always loses interest and goes running.Its a shame,it was nice having that together.Although I do run with her,its not the same.For all the women who have stuck it out I salute you.For my wife,I will wait and hope.

10. TraditionalTKD

Unfortunately this is not uncommon. It always saddens me when I see women who have great potential relegated to second class status in the dojang because the Instructor wants to see his male students succeed. I've always felt that ALL students should be given the same opportunity to succeed. Personally, I always enjoy watching women and minority students with exceptional talent because I know the odds tend to be stacked against them. One of my students is a female 2nd Dan, and I've consistantly tried to encourage her, give her opportunities, find her strengths, and help her because I want to see her succeed.

11. Thomas

Nice find!

I read her articles in the Taekwondo Times and like a lot of what she goes on about, although sometimes we differ quite a bit in philosophy. I like the fact that she writes them though, having a female grandmaster's opinions in my reading range every month provides a bit more diversity.

From her accomplishments, I'd say see does more than just hide away and teach TKD... looks pretty involved in the community as well.
    Accomplishments:
    2002 - Silicon Valley Women of Achievement Award
    2002 - California State Woman of the Year Award
    2002 - YWCA Tribute to Women and Industry Award
    1999 - Jung SuWon, official program for the Inner City Games (Arnold Schwarzenegger is Chairperson)
    1998 - Businessperson of the Year Award
    1995 - Award of Merit for Exceptional Achievement toward the development of Martial Arts
    1995 - Cultural Living Treasure Award
    1994 - Letter of Appreciation for Dedicated Service to the Development of Martial Arts as a World Spirit
    1993 - Instructor of the Year Award, "Tae Kwon Do Times" Magazine Hall of Fame
    1990 - Instructor of the Year Award, "Inside Karate" Magazine Hall of Fame
    1990 - Women of Achievement Award
    1984 - Susan B. Anthony Award
    1978 - Established the First Women's Division for Martial Arts in the Pre-World Games, Seoul, Korea

Anyone ever trained with her?

12. sonic

sonic New Member

For me, personally, my experience was not of poorer treatment of the female practitioners. Instead, more of a skill based thing. If the female student was good, then she was worked on. If the male student was good, then he got worked on. Unfortunately, I've seen alot of people who really need MORE help, getting less since they have more difficulty with tkd. It was more of a skill bias than a gender thing for me.

13. TraditionalTKD

Don't believe everything you read. If it appears in Tae Kwon Do Times, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

14. Thomas

Grandmaster Brenda Sell

Here are some accomplishments well worth looking up... as a male or female. Gives you something to look up to if you are a "master" or soon-to-be. It's not "just" about teaching the art, but spreading it, maintaining the principles, and using your skills and principles to make the world a bit better.

She even graced the cover of Taekwondo Times... something very few male masters have done, let alone women.

15. TraditionalTKD

Ah the Sells. Well, I won't comment on them to spare any hurt feelings, warnings, or flame wars. Again, don't believe everything you read. And if it's in Tae Kwon Do Times, it must be true right?

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

no all of it doesn't have to be true, but it doesn't have to be a lie either, right?

17. TraditionalTKD

Good point. Some of it can be true. Unfortunately, whether in the Sells' case or someone else's case, you often don't get to read "The Rest of the Story"-what REALLY happened. You get to read what they want you to read.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

true. that's called journalism :D :D :D

19. Thomas

You know, it seems like you have something against a lot of "famous" people in your area... e.g. GM Yu, the Sells, and Keith Haffney... and especially seem to have an axe to grind with anyone who gets recognition (like magazine articles and cover stories) from a major magazine like Taekwondo Times. It's odd because in the case of people like GM Yu ands the Sells they get lots of recognition, awards for contributions to the martial arts, and are constantly, it seems, giving back to the art.

Maybe the problem isn't with them... but with you.

Anyone mind if we get back on topic now?

(disclaimer: not trying to moderate, just would like to see the thread continue on-topic.)

20. sonic

sonic New Member

hehe, Thomas, how can we actually get back on topic if you just accused TraditionalTKD of having a problem??? :p

I remember my second female Master, she regularly beat the bejesus out of me. I was learning (and still am) the intricacies of sparring.. and she showed it to me with beautiful head shot... (OUCH).