Lessons from UFC 159 for the self-defense minded

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by KempoFist, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I recall being pulled over once for a front tag not being on my car (probably have told this before). I was on my way to my sister and brother in laws house and sometimes I would get him to hold the mitts for me to work on simple combos, so I had the mitts and my gloves in the back of the car. The cop looks in my back window and sees my gear in there and asks me if I was a boxer. I just said, no I only do it for fitness and for fun, but I didn't actually belong to a boxing gym or anything. The next thing I know three more cop cars show up behind him. I thought it was crazy ... just for gloves and mitts? I guess it's better to be overly cautious, than not at all.

Anyway, that was just something I found funny.

My point to some of this is in a SD situation vs. a Thai fighter, boxer, etc... I don't know who "wins" the fight. I would imagine that in an SD situation against your drunk average guy that either of the above guy "wins" or escapes the situation. This isn't from experience keep in mind, but it seems as the guy/girl who has been prepared for a fight with either ring time, or SIM time will likely stay calmer which would allow them to think more clearly (obviously). Of course on the street things happen fast and most of the time end just as fast or faster.

It's helped me a lot getting older, though admittedly I still have that part of the kid in me that I want to be better than the next guy. My age does cut into that many times now though and I think about my Wife and my Son. I know I am capable of doing things that would put me in jail quickly as most of you have argued with me about it lol, but I do think about it a lot more as my little guy has grown.