Leong Fu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by incubus, Dec 27, 2003.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Hi

I have been training Mon Lung kungfu for many years and I have just attained my Black belt. My instructor has got his tution abroad under Master Leong Fu . He is malaysian and I know that he retired undefeated in Chinese Karato sparring.

I got some info about the founder of my art however I would like to find out more. Any news from any of you ? Any thing can be helpful,website etc

Thanks

2. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon New Member

ATADO KUNG FU

The Grand Master and founder of the base system is a man called LEONG FU LEE, who initially studied Hung Gar and Northern Tong Long. He left China when it became a republic in 1948, moving first to Okinawa in Japan where he studied Okinawan Karate.
    He later moved to Penang, Malaysia, where he opened his own school of Martial Arts calling it 'Atado Karato' (Atado was Leong's nickname). It was here he met another master teaching his pupils Wing Chun and Indonesian Silat.
    The name of this Master who later became his friend was DI-SUM-SI. Master Leong then amalgamated the two styles and called the new system 'ATADO PAI' (Atado's Way).

In the United Kingdom the style of Atado Pai is little known, taught only to a small number of pupils. A man called Mike James, who was a first Dan in Mushinado Karate, brought it to Wales. He became aware of Atado Pai after a trip to London, where he met an old Chinese gentleman who convinced him that Atado Pai would serve him better in old age than his strength based Karate.
    The old man did this not simply by talking, but by defeating him with speed and agility, this art was handed down to five pupils.
    In 1983 Mike James retired as Chief Instructor to follow a life in politics, and by 1986 only two of the five original pupils were left.
    One of these two men continued to follow traditional Atado Pai. The other, a man named LYN DAVIES, feeling that the traditional system was outdated and inefficient in some areas, had been developing a modified form.
    Due to objections raised by other Atado Pai instructors, he changed the name of the new system to 'LEONG GAR' Kung Fu (Leong Family Kung Fu).
    This was later changed to its present, more descriptive name of 'HONG LUNG DO', which means 'The Way Of The Red Dragon'.
    Great influence in the new style came from a man named Colin Morgan, a Ki-Aikido exponent, weapons expert and tactician, trained in Japan, whose knowledge of Japanese Martial Arts is great, and the style owes much to him for sharing his great knowledge with Lyn.
    In 1987 two of Lyn's senior pupils moved to England and began to teach Hong Lung Do outside Wales in London and Bristol. A third instructor moved to Birmingham in 1991 with the hope of spreading 'The Way Of The Red Dragon' throughout the rest of the U.K. and ultimately beyond.

3. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Hi

thanks for the info very informative and detailed. Any links to webpages for these current instructors ?

4. snake fist

snake fist New Member

Hi,

I know this post is very old, came across it while surfing the net searching to see if this style has progressed.
    I was one of Lyn Davies senior pupils that moved to Birmingham in 1991, however due to a bad back injury was no longer able to continue training.
    When I moved to Birmingham in 1991, Lyn had all but given up running the club and one of the other senior pupils had stopped training and moved away from the area, the other was flitting in and out of training.
    In 1987 the two pupils who moved started teaching in Bristol and London were not senior students, just at university.

5. phillipkempo

phillipkempo New Member

Hi, i'm currently an Instructor in the system of Atedo pai (tode Kempo) under the tuition of Mike James. I currently hold a third degree Black belt in the system and have been training with Mike for nineteen years and hold classes in Llanelli South Wales. Please feel free to contact me on my e-mail e-mail removed also i have posted tchniques and forms on you tube under phillip kempo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  6. incubus

incubus Valued Member

You have a website I can check...interested in knowing more ... txs

7. phillipkempo

phillipkempo New Member

I n the process of developing a web site, will inform you when completed.

8. HongLungDo

HongLungDo New Member

I beg to differ Rob! As I was a Brown belt (Instructor grade) when I went to Bristol I would say I was a senior grade although I agree that Geraint was only Purple so that's debatable.

For anyone interested I now run the Hong Lung Do Class in South Wales and Lyn still calls in from time to time

9. phillipkempo

phillipkempo New Member

Where in South Wales is your class?

10. HongLungDo

HongLungDo New Member

Homg Lung Do School of Kung Fu

My Class is in Cwmafan, Port Talbot at the YWCA

11. phillipkempo

phillipkempo New Member

What days and time do you train? and would it be ok if myself and a few of my students call up

12. HongLungDo

HongLungDo New Member

Hong Lung Do Cwmafan

Sure, your welcome as long as you dont expect too much!

Tuesdays 7:00pm - 9:00pm YWCA, Depot Road, Cwmafan

13. incubus

incubus Valued Member

wish to visit your website ! Is it launched now!?

still difficult to find information about Leong Fu and the origin of Mon Lung

14. NigelTM

NigelTM New Member

I'm a bit late to the party on this one and I hope I get a reply but here goes!

I studied Atado Pai with Wyn Christie in Neath and Crynant for 4 or 5 years (IIRC) in the late 1980s. Then marrage & life got in the way and I didn't have time to keep up the training. I did look Wyn up 6 or 7 years ago to try and get my kids in to the style. More as an excuse for me to go back than anything else! Unfortunately they weren't interested and I ended working away from home and didn't get back in to it.

Fast forward to today and I'm an unfit desk jockey with a back back working in London during the week and going back to Neath on the weekends. I've been looking for a martial arts class to keep me busy during the week and I'm looking at the Krav Maga classes in Pimlico. I did look up the class in the YWCA, Cwmavon but it looks like it closed a couple of years ago.

Then I came across this thread!

So, my question.

Is there still a class running in London during the week or the Neath area during the weekends?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  15. Tony1964

Tony1964 New Member

Hi my name is Tony Stephens and I am the brother in law of Lyn Davies. I will ask Lyn the question where the classes are run now. I also studied “Atado Pai” under the instruction of Lyn in the early 80’s. I also at times went to Pontardawe and trained under Mike James. I don’t know if Wyn Christie remembers me but I sparred with Wyn many times. I also studied “Jeet Kune Do” parallel with “Atado Pai” but give “Jeet Kune Do” up after a year.

16. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

If anyone knows of any classes of Atado Pai being held in or around Swansea/Amman Valleys, please post or PM me. I trained as a child under Wyn in early 80's and remember Mike James's visits to the class well. Great system. Very fond memories!

17. NigelTM

NigelTM New Member

Hi Tony. Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

18. clearviewmind

clearviewmind New Member

An interesting read. Thank you.

I have in my possession a collection of Master Leong Fu Manuals printed in 1956. (Set of 1-21, although somehow one is missing) They were found in a empty house loft in the nineteen-sixties by a plumber (my Father-In-Law).

Manual 1 has a type-written and hand-signed letter from Master Leong.

I'm not saying I want to depart with these, but I'm sure they must be of some value?? I've never heard of the Master myself as I'm a Wing Chun man and have just held on to these for about 10 years, but if this was a collection of Ip Man's Wing Chun Manuals I'm sure they'd be worth something, and maybe kept somewhere of place like an Official Association or Museum.

Who's the man/woman to speak to today within this Kung-Fu System?

Regards

Lee.

19. placebo63

placebo63 New Member

there is a club that had been teaching atado pai for over 20 years in ystalyfera,
    who trained with mike james, wyn Christie, kelvin evens, in kempo

20. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Name of club? Website maybe?