Legs...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by c_storm51, Jan 30, 2003.

1. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

Just a quick question! I'm training in TKD right now and there is obviously a lot of leg work involved. I feel that my upper body is not too bad (strength and speed), but my legs definitely need work. I'm a little dubious about using weights, so what exercises would anyone recommend for home that would build muscle strength, endurance and ultimately control. I'm doing regular stretches but I'm looking for more speed, power and control....the only exercises I can think of are lunges and squats - are there any others?

Any thoughts welcome...!

Cheers

2. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Squats will build a lot of power in your legs, stick to the basics and squat.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

........... and then squat some more :D

4. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Plyometric exercises, although they reccomend you squat twice your body weight before doing any.

Using weights won't slow you down, and if you have an easy time adding muscle, everyone would be big. :D

5. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Yoda. c_storm asked if you were weaker in your lower body.

What if you were Stronger in your lower body than your upper?

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

.... you would be normal.

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Squat with weights! :)

I developed a lot more strength after using weights, every skinny person you talk to will tell you how slow and stiff you will be, but I'm better if anything...........

8. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

Thanks! Looks like I'll be sticking to squats, then! I think I'll start without weights and add as I see fit....thanks. I'm quite wirey so I was a little bothered about slowing myself down, but if you've found it positive, pgm, I'll give it a bash!

Cheers

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

It worked for me, but I'd check out Yoda's advice and links for the more scientific approaches!

In general you will get a lot of benefits using weights that you won't get from standard body weight exercises. Its just a case of training like an athlete instead of a traditional martial artist.

10. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Why are you dubious about weights. The only answer I can think of is the idea of being bulky 'slowing you down', which is myth, unless perhaps you take it to extremes. Weight training develops your fast twitch muscle fibres, cardiovascular exercises focuses more on slow twitch fibres (think how muscular 100 metre sprinters are compared to marathon runners). So if you want to be fast then your training regime should be geared more towards weight training than to cardiovascular.

Flexibility shouldn't be a problem either, as long you work on stretching as well as weights. TKD places substantial stress on the legs. Without sufficient strength to support the joints (ankles, knees and hips), you're probably just storing up problems for the future.

When it comes to squats, bear in mind that bending the knee to less than 90 degrees while it is under load (ie. your own body weight or some other resistance) will almost certainly damage the knee. Some research suggests that anything less than 120 degrees will cause damage.

So, IMO, get weight training and supplement it with stretching and cardiovascular exercise.

Mike

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

this tells me that u need lots of footwork training...not more
    first basically u hav spent most of time using ur legs for walking not for other things like kicking/footwork, u don't feel like u hav no power in ur lower body...
    naturally(even unnaturally ;)) ur lowerbody will be stronger than ur upper body.... as yoda said "u'll be normal"
    sooooo
    1. more footwork
    2. more kicking(yup high only, jacka$ses kick low ;))
    3. more footwork
    4. low stances with footwork

-TkdWarrior-

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

on second thought i just remembered that a$ses kick high :D ROFLMAO.....
    -TkdWarrior-

13. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

The main reason I am slightly wary about weights is the lack of knowledge regarding what is necessary. I've always done things like circuit training and more recently TKD, so it's only the muscles that I've developed 'naturally'. I see what you're saying TkdWarrior - it makes sense - I've never been much into Football or anything leg oriented - it's just a matter of getting used to using my muscles in a different way. I appreciate the advise...

14. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I find the following helpful...

1) Squat (using heavy barbell, though dumbbells are easier!). 2 seconds on up motion, 1 seconds on down motion, using a weight where I can manage 6-12 reps.

2) Squats to jump (i.e. jumping up from squat position) using dumbbells with moderate weights. Motion as fast as possible while retaining control. Repeat about 10-20 times.

3) Depth Jumps. Jump off a box about 30 to 80cm high (start off with a small one and build up!). As soon as you land, bend your legs and jump up again as high as you can.

4) Leg Curl, using a machine (or bench with leg curl attachment). This helps balance the squat muscle buildup, and can also add power to hook kick and reverse roundhouse.

5) High straight kicks with ankle weights. You can get ankle weights that strap round your ankle, with a weight usually in the range 1 pound (454g) up to 1 kilogram (2.2lbs). I use these with high straight rising kicks to the front and to the side.

Also, building muscle will slow you down ONLY IF you don't stretch. You need to stretch your legs thoroughly after a workout using them. If you use weights AND stretching, both your leg strength AND flexibility will improve.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  15. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

The only reason to be cautious is if your bones are still developing (i.e. if you're younger than 18). Otherwise you will get huge benefits from weight training, provided
    1) Your diet is OK (enough protein, calcium etc)
    2) You are doing it right (learn your weights techniques in a reputable gym with an instructor, even if you plan to only practice them alone).

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Well said iolair! :)

17. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

Right! Well that settles that then! I'm at university right now so I can get advise from the sports centre to make sure I'm doing everything correctly, but I'll start putting that regime in place asap iolair...:D

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Ask university bods and let us know what their verdict is. If they know there stuff, and I'm sure they do, they'll come up with a good training regime tailored for you!

19. c_storm51

c_storm51 Valued Member

Will report back....!

20. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I'd also like to point out that balance and kicking technique are important.

I perfect kick is better than 100 crap ones. Keep the kicks low and perfect the technique. No use runing before you can walk.

P.s. You wanted more squats sonny? You got em! Heh!