Legit

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Zerodauto, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

Everyone of my friends believe I am being held back in my TKD class. Recently I was promoted to green belt. My master gave me the belt and said I'd get my certificate the next week. When next we came he took te belt bak without an explaination, and I never asked. Not once did I disrespect any one in the class or do anything that could justify my belt being taken.

Now I have a friend from Korea with a 3rd degree bb. He said he'll train me but it'll take no shorter than five years to achieve a bb. I don't mind the time frame, what I want to know is if my belt will be legitiment when I received it if I choose to train under him?

2. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Your first course of action should be to ask your instructor why he took your belt. Of course, do it respectfully and don't challenge him; just tell him that you're trying to understand what's going on. It may turn out to be something silly that doesn't call for quitting.

Your friend from Korea may or may not be legit, but unless he actually teaches in a dojang where you will be able to train and spar with other students, you'll probably be missing out on some stuff.

3. blackbelt92

blackbelt92 Valued Member

I agree with OwlMAtt. Unless your Korean friend is an instructor that teaches at a Dojang or school, you will not be a legit black belt. The reason why is that there needs to be some standardization with belt promotions for black belt. However there is nothing wrong with your friend training you and teaching you as a supplement to what you are doing now. In fact, that is a great idea. But you need to talk to your instructor about this. It sounds like there is a lot of miscommunication going on. ask your instructor politely why he took your belt.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

For the record if you're worried about legitimacy of rank you need to make sure your belt is coming from someone recognized by the governing body you want to be recognized by. Many orgs will not recognize a black belt from another governing body regardless of quality.

5. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

No he has plenty of students, I'm just the only one that wants a belt.

He has the certifications, I'm not worried about that. I want to know is if he makes me a certificate once I've completed training with him will it be considered a legitimate black belt.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Why did your Instructor take your belt back. Ask politely and find out, rather than acting on supposition. If he has a good reason, keep training with him; if he doesn't, leave and move on. In either case you will have made an informed decision based on facts, but until you ask all you are doing is reacting.

Mitch

7. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

A certificate doesnt (really) make a legitimate black belt.. travelling the right path does!

As for the class... seems very odd behaviour and I would find out the facts before acting (as others have said).. but it does seem a weird thing to happen!

Stuart

8. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

This is very good advice. Maybe his reason was based on something that was miscommunicated, or another misunderstanding. It might be something that can be rectified, so I would definitely ask.

9. Zerodauto

Zerodauto Valued Member

One of their main problem is that according to my friends who are all martial artist themselves I am a better in technique and practice than the others who were promoted. The other orange belt in the class doesn't even know what three step sparing is. I had to teach him what it was and even then he didn't understand it. The other who was promoted to green belt has horrible form in all he does. They are all great people but they are lacking. I too am far from perfect, I know I have a long way to go, and I like it that way, I hope when ever I reach black belt level I still realize I have a long way to go. It's just that when so many people who are more skilled than me in martial arts, who have watched my class are telling me that I deserved that belt and for once in my life I felt like I deserved what I had worked for, it's kinda hard not to believe something wrong. My friend, who's ego I broke because of how hard I worked and trained to catch up to his level and beat him, he was mad when he heard the news.

10. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Only by the organization he belongs to. With TKD, frankly, even that means next to nothing.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is irrelevant and doesn't speak to my advice at all. Go and talk to your instructor. If his reasons make sense stay; if they don't, go.

Mitch