Leg

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by belltoller, Dec 5, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Isometric band stretches are the single thing I've found to relieve the pain and stiffness. Not even anti-inflammatories/pain-relievers do anything.

Ya, I'd heard somewhere that exercise machines were not good - I tend to stay away from them, with the exception of treadmills.

2. belltoller

PhysioRoom? I did. A couple of things I noticed - in the common signs and symptoms box, they had pain and weakness checked, but not stiffness - which has been my greatest symptom outside of the pain. Leg doesn't seem weak, just afraid to do much with it.

If there is a weakness, its in moving backwards - which is usually where I re-injure it.

They seem very, very conservative in approach but I tried sitting on my heels (yoga style) an hour ago and found I was unable to go down on my heels at all.

Getting very frustrating. The doctor apt is next Friday, can't wait.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Don't do isometrics until you are completely pain free.

4. belltoller

I'd meant to ask, would the moratorium on isometrics include those the one that relieves the pain?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, at least until you visit a physician who can diagnose what's wrong with your leg. We don't know if doing isometrics will make things worse - even if they make you feel better.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I hope you had a chance to see a consultant. What you just described does not sound typical have a hamstring tear. The hamstrings are muscles that independently flex the knee but functionally extend the knee when weight bearing (with other muscles of course). Sitting on your heals is a passive thigh stretch where the hams are relaxed so there shouldn't be pain unless you have a lump/bruise that's getting caught. Is that what's happening?

It sounds more like a knee joint injury at the moment thus why you should get a proper examination/diagnosis .

Just saying'

LFD

7. belltoller

Sorry for that bit of confusion. Sitting on my heels and going onto the elbows has been a must as far a maintaining flexibility for a long time. I've used it as sort of a gauge, more than anything, of my overall well-being. Nothing scientific, just something I do.

I've noticed over the years that the inability to do this simple exercise is a harbinger of coming disease or reflects a long period of inactivity and physical malaise.

I wasn't experiencing the snapping, shank-in-the-back-of-the-leg pain while attempting the pose, but tight in both legs do to inactivity - something I wasn't expecting so quickly.

I get more pain sitting in a chair, TBH, in the back of the leg and seems to radiate toward the outer-lateral portion of the knee.

They will be able to tell from scans and whatnot, if it is indeed, something else? I moved the appointment from Friday to Wednesday.

Thanks much for the response!

8. Late for dinner

Diagnostic imaging tells you certain things. Oddly enough you might have something on a scan that you didn't know about but has nothing to do with your present problem. This is one of the controversies related to Mammography. They find a number of things that , if left alone, might do nothing and the treatment might be more catastrophic than what the thing found would have done.

We all have things that might or might not show up with imaging. Pain isn't a thing as much as a perception of what is happening to your body. Somethings things don't require injury/inflammation to hurt. You can have pain (eg someone gets submitted) without needing to actually cause damage.

The examination, and this varies with place and professional consulted, should involve trying to rule out dangerous things, identify possible sources of the complaint and perhaps point to one or more solutions. With consultants that tends to be surgery, injections, medications or referral to other professionals eg a physio or physical therapist. Sometimes it isn't obvious what an experienced professional is doing so you might blink and they will have come up with a few hypotheses... so don't blame me if they don't quite match what I have said.

Fingers crossed that at least they say it's nothing serious (and frankly it doesn't sound serious (dangerous)) so far but this is the internet, we haven't met and I have no idea how accurate a historian you are.... heck you could even be from Shaker Heights for all I know!!

;' )

LFD

9. belltoller

Oh, I'm going to analyse every minutia of info you've provided against what the physio produces and if there's even a smidgeon of difference, I'm going to have him hung by the shorties! LOL

Cor...where the bleedin 'ell is Shaker Heights...? A scruffy place, is it? :)

10. Late for dinner

Ahh it's an Up market part of Cincinnati from what I remember....

:' D

LFD

11. belltoller

I :google: its in Cleveland - opposite side of the state from us, but quite nice of you to recognise a member of the posh class, when you encounter such. ;)

12. belltoller

D-day at the surgeon's office this after-noon. Fingers crossed.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good luck.

Just remember - if they can rebuild Alex Murphy, they can rebuild you! :cyborg:

14. belltoller

Thanks for the cheery message, Van Zandt.

Rebuild??? Won't some wraps and a bit of therapy suffice?

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh, it STARTS with "some wraps and a bit of therapy."

Before you know it, you're out doing patrols all the hours god sends and they go and stick that HUGE cannon in your thigh. And you're not even allowed to shoot civilians with it!

Damn prime directives. :mad:

16. belltoller

Ahhh....they aren't even gonna give me a bleedin wrap. Just therapy twice a week.

And you had me lookin forward to coming home with some nice hardware :(

Now I feel absolutely cheated.

17. belltoller

Anyroads, simple hamstring tear, nothing exotic ( which I'm spectacularly happy about ) though there was a bit of commotion when the xray showed up a slug in the same leg - a leftover when the surgeons decided not to remove a stray round when I was 12 - lol.

I am still rather moody as the physio made some sort of quip about "middle-age men" doing high-speed sprints :mad::mad::mad:

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Probably for the best. Only room for one cyborg sheriff in this... um... town (?)... so we'd end up having a standoff. Albeit one worthy of an epic summer blockbuster with a $100 million budget. :D

So, news? Nothing major I'm guessing?

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was gonna say ignore the last bit of my previous post because I posted before I read your answer, then I saw this:

Say WHAAAAATTTTT???!!!

Where did you live man, Bosnia? :jawdrop:

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Slug thing= man points.

Dude on a daily basis I get humbled by middle aged men , just depends on whether they make their age an excuse and give up or decide that they quite enjoy making me look a big girls blouse infront of clients and keep being awesome.