Leg locks in BJJ / MMA etc

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Bit overkill isnt it, if I lock on a RNC the last thing I want to do is Kick someone in the Groin.

2. Dead_pool

Jikishin Jujitsu - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXb0TSkwP0"]Jujitsu Throws Part One - YouTube[/ame]

the move your talking about is at 5.00 minutes here, No RNC though.

3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

It's also detrimental to the control of his body you should be maintaining to finish the sub. A body triangle is good control, trying to kick his nuts and do a "body scissors" is just giving him needless space to escape.

4. Dead_pool

Indeedy, In addition, No actual RNC in the syllabus version.

5. PointyShinyBurn

That "neck break" is Seagal-flick nonsense.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

multiple taps to the nads and a chiropractic adjustment at the end. Sounds like a great way to warm up before a night out on the tiles.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

so. to pull of that sequence:

clearly im going to catch a guy unawares otherwise he would turn around or would seoi nage me - (theres no arm drag to back take in that sequence)

then im going to start choking him out
    then kick him in the groin
    then crush his ribs and kidneys while choking him out
    then turn him over and break his neck (surprised im not punching him in the back of the head first)

and this isnt an assassination and is somehow legal?

8. Dead_pool

The claim its classical jujitsu wont wash either as its not.

The the strange thing with the BJJA, it has no identity of its own.

9. Mangosteen

i made a long post a while ago locating the origins of the BJJA but never posted it. pointless exercise

that was pretty terrible execution for something that supposedly comes from a culture of perfection in its other arts.

bad takedown, bad dojime, bad partner dynamic

10. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

on the street clearly you would know better than to actually break someones neck ;op
    tbh in all my years of frequenting drinking establishments in essex and having the joy of watching many fights i've never once seen someone throw a punch and then a spinning back elbow anyway =p

that video is a very old one, and the technique is done with a RNC now.

I don't think even if it was a koryu system that would justify breaking someone's neck on the streets ;op

11. Dead_pool

Adding on the RNC, makes the rest of the pattern pointless though?

In terms of koryu, they practise as a historical preservation effort.

whereas in the BJJA etc they do (made up) sword work, For what point?

12. Mangosteen

can i interest you in joining the dark side and trying out a BJJ club (that has MT to satisfy any thirst for standup) near by like carlson gracie essex or BKK fighters?

it might be a little enlightening.

13. Kuniku

I am but a Brown Belt, I've seen and done the take down in class, but its not one I've really bothered looking into as its not a technique I ever see me needing to do outside of class.

There was already another very long topic about the lineage of my jujitsu, I'd rather not repeat the exercise here tbh.

14. PointyShinyBurn

This recommendation, I second it.

Hard.

15. Kuniku

as I said I've rolled with BJJ guys before (up north in Bradford) and even partook in a friends private lesson there followed by an hours free rolling session.

if I had the time and money I'd quite like to train BJJ alongside my jujtisu, but I dont have the time nor money to fit that in along side everything else I do right now.

16. Mangosteen

when you get the time, trust me, you wont regret it.

i'm usually pretty busy during semesters and only get open mat time but every chance i get is at a BJJ class learning gi work or in a wrestling class and i only really like no-gi.

BJJ has amazing carryover to everything

it'll do nothing but improve your other jiu jitsu progress.

17. Kuniku

If I could just spend all my time doing martial arts I'd like to cross train in BJJ and Judo tbh, but with work, 2-3 nights of jujitsu, Japanese lesson and gym sessions I already struggle to have any free time to see my girlfriend as it is =p

And that's not even going into the money side of things lol

18. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I still think if there were more practice and education on leglocks, we'd see far fewer injuries. Guys are always trying to explode out of them instead of breaking down the attacker's structure. We rarely see this with arm locks or chokes past the white belt level, so why so with LL's?

In fairness, I can see banning twisting locks at the lower levels, as long as things like spine locks, wrist locks, compression locks ("slicers") are also being banned. It's so easy to jack someone up, even accidentally, with some of those moves. But I figure by brown or black, you should have been practicing this stuff for years, so it should all be on the table.

19. mattt

mattt Valued Member

For slicers they are indicative of programming and ego- the people don't think it's a valid sub so don't tap and get hurt. Same with many ll too, with proper training from white it could be incorporated.

20. Kuniku

I'll have to check about slicers in my org's rules, I've never heard of them being banned, but then I doubt many people really know them, I didn't get told off when I won with one the year before last though...