Leg kicks

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Grass hopper, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

As many of you know I've recently started mma training. I've gotta say, although my karate background has helped tremendously the leg kicks have really taken me by surprise!

In karate we never trained with them, last night I was in a few sparring matches (supposed to be light contact) and a few turned fairly heavy. What I've taken away from the experience is simple. Pay close attention to leg kicks, and throw more of them. I've still got a bit of a limp going and by tonight I should have some nasty bruises to show for it.

It's fun starting a new martial art, and getting new bruises in new places.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Leg Kicks are one of the biggest "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???" experiences of the striking arts

Ask Trevor Berbick

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8DzzSBq2s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru8DzzSBq2s[/ame]

3. Grass hopper

That's a perfect example of what we where talking about in the "how to fight a boxer" thread.

If I get nothing else from my mma experience, it will be the power of leg kicks. If I can learn to use those as well as get some groundfighting experience I know it will revolutionize my fighting.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

This is my Senior classmate Nat, now Muay Thai Program Director at The Academy (Sean Sherk, Brock Lesnar, Jakob Volkmann et al). First time I sparred with Nat I was on the floor with a dead leg after less than a minute. Definitely a game changing experience.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADPhe9lunaM"]Nat McIntyre Highlight - YouTube[/ame]

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Do you consider "foot sweep" as leg kick?

6. Grass hopper

I'm really just talking about kicks to the thigh

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Leg kicks are by far the most underestimated technique by people who have never trained Muay Thai. Everyone knows that head kicks or punches to the head are dangerous, but no one gives leg kicks respect, until that first one lands right on the IT band and oh. My. God.

8. Grass hopper

Absolutely, I never expected them to hurt that much. I took a few good punches to the face and the leg kicks bothered me more.

9. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

i remember my first leg kicks i took, felt like a baseball bat was digging into me

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think kyokushin, enshin and similar karateka may disagree :)

Mitch

11. holyheadjch

Ok, Muay Thai and martial arts inspired by Muay Thai.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

All the world hates a smartarse :D

Mitch

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

The first time I got introduced to leg kicks, I took a lot of them and I threw a lot of them at the other guy. We were both the cliche "tough guy" and just kept going regardless of how much it was hurting.

I didn't show up to training for a week after that and thought, "man, that guy I sparred with is going to think I'm the biggest wuss!" For a week I could not bend my leg at the knee. When I finally went back I could move my leg with half the normal range. Turns out I showed up the same day the guy I had sparred with decided to come back! He also couldn't bend his leg for a week. He worked at a hospital and his supervisors made him do desk work because of how bad he was limping around (same limp I had). :p

14. holyheadjch

It's the day after when you can't get your jeans on because of the swelling. Brutal.

15. Ero-Sennin

You've never seen so many creative ways to climb onto a work bench or scaffold on a construction site than from a guy who can't bend one leg. :p

16. Grass hopper

Once i start working as a cna again I'll have to watch out, that job would suck with one leg!

17. Ero-Sennin

It was kind of a one time deal. Kinda' like when I started boxing I got black eyes, busted lips and nose quite a bit. After about 6-8 months I could take a banging and might get a little red but that was it. The legs toughen up to the impact. That said, if you keep getting pounded there with good hits it's still going to hurt the next day!