Leg attacks/takedowns?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by della, Jan 6, 2004.

1. della

della New Member

Hi,

I just start Judo training last night. Fun stuff :)

I had done about 10 years of Olympic style wrestling and thought that Judo would be a nice sport to move on to now that I am "older", etc.

It would seem that the vast majority of moves are throws and trips. I quickly did a web search and didn't find much regarding leg attacks (eg, grabbing an opponent's leg with your hands, etc).

In wrestling, leg attacks are a big part of your move repetoire. Are there any leg attacks in Judo and/or are they even allowed?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

2. stump

stump Supersub

Welcome! Actually I don;t think leg locks are allowed in the rules of Judo. Judo s a fantastic martial art but that's the thing that bugs me about it too...that and too little groundwork!!

Have you thought about trying MMA or submission grappling instead?

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

He's asking about grabbing the leg for takedowns not leg locks as such Stump. Things like single & double's, ankle picks etc.

ASAIK they are legal in Judo. I'm sure someone more informed than I will clarify.

4. stump

stump Supersub

my bad...sorry

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yup. they are legal. some techniques: morote gari, kibisu gaeshi, te guruma. :D

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Ko Uchi Maki Komi, Mochiage Otoshi, Sukui Nage, Obi Otoshi, Kata Ashi Dori, Ryo Ashi Dori and Ura Nage are a few that spring to mind.

7. della

della New Member

Thanks for the info, the morote gari is exactly along the lines I was thinking.

I think I will be surprising some of my instructors during sparring tomorrow night - after all, it is only my second time doing Judo.

I suppose I should tell them I was once a Canadian olympic-wrestling champion ;)

Jason

8. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

some things make good suprises ;)

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The only thing to watch out for in competition Judo is if you have picked up one leg, it is illegal to sweep the supporting leg. However, you can get away with 'propping/blocking' it.

Let us know how it goes :)

Col

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

single and double leg takedowns are legal in judo. ONe thing nice is if you look at these takedowns from a judo standpoint, you can also learn how to apply kuzushi to both of them. IMO< a person with a wrestling background who fully understands the concept of kuzushi will be one mean takedown artist

11. Freeform

Kuzushi = Breaking Balance before performing a technique

Translator Col ;)

12. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Did I miss something? Since when can't you grab one foot and knock out/sweep the other? Do they think you can't control their fall or something? Time to check with our resident dojo rules lawyer...

13. Freeform

IJF competition rules as of last year state that you cannot lift up someones leg and sweep out the supporting leg, to do so results in chui.

As I stated it is legal to check or block the supporting leg.

Col

14. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Well, then, is it legal to, say, Tane Otoshi their other foot out of the way?

15. Freeform

I'd think so, or rather I hope so because I do it loads :D

The Tani would be described as a block I'd think. The big one they really look for is if you square on, and pick up one leg and hold it tight to your waist then sweep the supporting leg.

Don't know why its illegal, but its a really cool throw from a botched kick :D

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

There's nothing wrong with a ko-uchi or o-uchi gari while holding the other leg is there? I thought the only time sweeping the supporting leg out was illegal was when performing a counter to something like harai goshi, where the sweep will lead to a dangerous potentially uncontrolled throw....

17. Freeform

Aegis, I've just searched google for the currentl rules but can't find them. Your point about Harai Goshi sounds really familiar...

If anyone has a good link for the current Judo competition rules could they please post it here.

Thanks

Colin

18. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

the rules we fight with say you cant actually lift someones leg off the floor, but you can hold a leg as you throw. ie catch the leg after a sweep. however i've never seen someone be cautioned for lifting a leg illegally in our comps.

try this link for ijf rules:
    http://www.judo-for-all.com/Refs/IJF Rules.htm

19. Freeform

Cheers JJ :)