Left or Right handed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Primus Death, Jan 27, 2012.

?

Left or Right handed?

1. Left (leftys FTW highfive!)

33.3%
  2. Right

66.7%
  1. Primus Death

Primus Death どうか私を教育してください

Every now and them somebody brings this up in the dojo and most of the time I'm either the only lefty or there's only one other.

Also, if your dominant leg is different to your hand or if being a lefty has affected your training post about that too.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Guess :p

The only way its effected my training is because I'm left leg dominant and I'm a grappler I stand left leg forward. It means when I go back to mma learning to fight from a southpaw stance, and more importantly becoming comfortable shooting off my right leg, is going to be something to overcome. I would have that problem if I was right handed too however.

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Right.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I'm ambidextrous.

5. Primus Death

Fully ambidextrous? Well, I'm not sure if I can edit the poll so you may be left out of the voting.

6. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

I'm right handed. But i fight left foot forward mostly. I feel that my right leg keeps beter balance and my left has better technique and flexibility.

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

What do you mean by fully? I write with both hands, I use both hands for everything.

8. Primus Death

Some people have a clear lead hand but can still do a few things with the other one almost/just as well. In my opinion, they're not ambidextrous (so I say fully ambidextrous people are the ones who work with both pretty much evenly).

9. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I was ambidextrous as a kid but the teachers in my public schools forced any ambidextrous kids to choose one over the other for writing and that pretty much sealed me as a righty.

That said I do train southpaw a bunch because I like being able to mess people up and fight mirrored sometimes.

Also if you just start doing more things with your left hand like brushing your teeth, combing your hair, shaving, eating, you co-ordination with your left hand will increase more than just working the left side in martial arts class.

10. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

Right handed here.

11. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

left handed folk are often considered more artistic

Does this mean more martial artistic?

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

right handed but prefer fighting southpaw, for some reason.

13. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

I'm kind of in between. My dominant hand for writing has always been the left one, while for most other things I prefer my right hand.
    A couple of years ago I decided that it would be cool to do everything both hands, so I practiced writing with my right, brushing teeth with my left and stuff.
    Now I still prefer left for writing, but sometimes still use my right hand when the pen is on the right side of the sheet or the chalk on the right side of the board, and with most other things it depends on the situation which hand I use. The only thing I really trained to do right-handed even though I started as a lefty was playing guitar, simply because no one has a left-handed guitar.
    For martial arts, I don't bother which leg is my front leg, but I've got more power in my right one when it comes to kicking.
    So I really don't know, left, right, whatever..

14. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

- double post -

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

16. Primus Death

I'm a creative lefty (I love drawing) and I also love martial arts. I'm not going to say I'm really good at it because I'm not even close to a fraction of as good as I want to be (Also I'd just get spammed for saying it). However, I do not believe that's because I'm lefy handed (although because people aren't usually used to fighting lefties so that might help).

If you're talking about creativity in martial arts. Then you could be right. But it wouldn't apply to all lefties.

17. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

This is cross dominance, which as it would happen is my situation. (For example, I write better left handed but I draw and paint the other way round.)

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm mainly right-handed, but I'm left handed for a few things. I'm definately not ambi-dextrous, because what I do best with my right I'm lousy at with my left, and vice-versa.

I am quite two-footed though.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm ambi-dextrous.
    I can't fight with either hand. :(

20. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

LOL!