Leaving the scene peacefully

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujingodai, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Have not been too present on here as of late.
    I've made the decision after some time, my personal thoughts and happenings of the school, added to associates of mine and their actions. Along with the general self aggrandizing of so many in the Japanese arts. I'm bowing out this year.
    I won't be teaching Ninjutsu any longer. I'm not Japanese, I feel I have been fooling myself to a degree and very disalusioned with the art in general both mainstream and indie scene.
    I'm not stopping in the arts mind you. Just, giving some consideration putting more focus on a North American focal point. Just not totally sure at this point. I love teaching/coaching. In the end, I have to be true to myself. Being an indie I have never called myself Master or whatnot. But, I think I could be much easier sleeping at night being referred to as a coach.
    I've enjoyed the last 18 years. My training both mainstream and independent has taken it's fair share of life changing events.

I'm taking this year, to finish off some loose ends at my students request. I have 5 of them. I had already given away anything of any authority to someone else long ago. They have said they want to follow what ever it is I chose to move on to. I've enough to teach that focus while seeking instruction of my own.

Anyway thats my piece

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

All the best to your sir and it's nice that you have student willing to follow you.

When I stopped teaching full time to concentrate on my growing family I had a group of students who requested private training.
    I now teach these students on a Sunday morning and they are considered friends rather than students.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I made a similar move last year from formal classes (although not full time) to regular sessions with a couple of the guys as informal training partners. We train in the park, or at one of our houses/garages, and organise it by text, with no fees or gym rent. If any one us can't make it that particular day it's no problem (great as we all have full time jobs), and everyone gets to learn.

We still generally follow the system that I tought previously (an FMA), but as my training partners are experienced in other systems (JJ, freestyle wrestling, MT and aikido) we often end up discussing and trying out the merits of different approaches to the same technique or situation.

I much prefer this to running my own classes as the stress is a lot lower (sometimes the classes clashed with my regular job, and the regular job always wins!), there are now multiple perspectives to the same drill/technique/scenario, we get to train in the park (although I don't think the coppers would like it if we did it with live blades :D carefully, of course), and, most importantly: I get to advance MY OWN training!

Anyway, ramble over, good luck with your decision, I hope it works out for you!

4. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Good for you, not many people would do what you've done I don't think!
    They crave 'sensei' this and 'sensei' that, to feed their ego.

I hope you prosper in which ever direction you end up going, and testimony to you you have students/ freinds who wish to follow your lead.

Are you also resigning from the board? Or can we still enjoy your posts?

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Best wishes with whatever direction you choose to take :)

Mitch

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Good luck with things Dave.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Best of luck to you.

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Good luck.

9. Sylvain

Sylvain Valued Member

I agree 100 pct, and I wish you the best!

10. bujingodai

I'll still be posting. I will more than likely change my user name. Not sure if they want me to continue as a mod where not sure.
    But I do have a year of what I am at now so I can and will train accordingly so my students can finish what they started.
    My path, it will lead to teaching H2H. Maybe even in a formal sense but not to the extent I had with Ninjutsu.
    I just wanted to be honest with myself in how I felt about my own training, abilities and the world of Ninjutsu in general.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's not an end its a beginning!

12. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Were you disillusioned with Ninjutsu, or the organisations?

What was your experience of ninjutsu before you went indie?

What are you going to learn now, and where from?

13. bujingodai

I am put off by the organizations in general frankly. Or more in the personalities in them. A good deal of hypocrisy and lack of skill. Mainstream and independent.

I had been Kan and indie 2 X ea so to speak. Last time I left the Kan was after Japan. I couldn't care for the boldness exhibited there. Just my opinion. My original experience was with a skilled man, I moved away. I wanted to keep training. Thats how my indie days started.

I am not sure what I will do to keep training. I live in a highly populated area I suppose I will keep up with local seminars and learn what I can.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Have you thought about seeking training in other traditional Japanese arts?

15. bujingodai

No, not really. I may one day wish to. At this point no. So many schools are full of bold. If I did it would be a Koryu system, maybe when I was more financially suited to do it and I could spend the time on training more.

Right now 4 teens at home. Since Sandy's cancer and my own health issues, new job further away and now it looks as if my paranormal team is working with a network on a pilot season, time is not economical.
    H2h is something I am comfortable with.

The drama that has/had attached itself to my school, be it from online or from internal just beat away at the stone for too many years. Like a bad marriage.

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You could just rock up to a judo/whatever club once a week, become a normal student again, and enjoy learning.

17. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

I can't say that I had the same lengthy background in the arts that you have, but a few years back I faced what sounds like a similar internal crisis. I dropped everything for a year or so, then moved on to a totally different school and style. Now, I couldn't be any happier. I was prepared for the change in style, but what I hadn't considered was how differently another organization could be outside of the actual art itself. Sometimes we run into so many of the same practices and personalities in our arts that it's easy to forget how different things can be. As Fusen said, throwing on a white belt and starting along new path can be a fresh and rewarding change.

18. Troy Wideman

Troy Wideman Valued Member

Sorry to hear that,

We haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet but I wish you luck on where ever your path takes you.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

19. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

FWIW - I did this last year and joined a local BJJ school and its been a lot of fun. It's nice to just be a student and not to worry about some of the other things.

Dave - I know you are put off by the organizations, personalities, etc and I would probably be the first to agree with many of your points. It's important to be honest with yourself about your training and its a difficult thing to come to terms with.

I want you to know that I respect you and appreciate all your contributions here. God knows they have been more positive than mine. :p

Seriously though I hope that you will not change your user name and that you will stay and be an active part of this community.

Anyways good luck

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

After mounting injuries over a ten year period I've basically stopped training. I still do my forms/patterns and practice on my own but not with anyone else. No ones around to work with anyhow.