Learning to sleep lightly

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bum-eyes, Jun 1, 2005.

1. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

Does anyone know ways to learn how to make sure you sleep lightly?
    It might help me with my desired lifestyle.

No, I don't want to be a drug dealer.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

,,, unfortunately you'll learn one day to do so when you have children! ;)

Being a light sleeper is most commonly referred to as a sleep disorder and not as something most people want to achieve.

Perhaps you can explain?

3. bum-eyes

I meant sleeping on the edge of wakefulness when you need to so you can wake up quickly. I only need 6-8 hours of sleep anyway.

4. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Hmm..Im a light sleeper, sorta, i wake up when someone is near or approaching, even if there not making noise, but i dont know how to train yourself to do it, it just happens. But yah explain why cuz we wanna know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2005
  5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We all need 6 to 8 hours sleep on average. Proper sleep. Not light sleep.

Wouldn't you be better off just getting a decent lock on the door?

6. bum-eyes

If I was going to explain why I wanted this I would have in my first post. I don't mean to be rude, but I'd rather not share that with you.

7. bum-eyes

If I'm inside.

8. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Hmmmmm......

Maybe you could get a lock, or if you're sleeping outside :confused: , you could train yourself to hide real well so nobody will catch you sleeping. :D

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Um... okay. Well if that's how it's going to be, I'm off. Good luck with everything.

10. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Haha are you supposed to be some sort of assasin ninja or something, like the ones in the movies?

11. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

i don't know but perhaps an experianced sailor could help you, like the ones that sail around the sea, with out the use of engines, i read this one book, on how a guy would sleep, and wake up anytime he felt a change in current/wind, and the direction in which the boat was moving

edit: oh cmon u guys, stop being a bunch of :eek: :eek: :eek: ...no need to mock him, if you have nothing helpfull to say, then go increase your post count on my ma vs your ma threads

12. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Sorry man, it just sounds funny coz he doesn't wanna tell us why...
    If it means anyway, bum-eyes, i appologise haha

13. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

maybe he wants to leave it to our imaginations :D

14. minimal

minimal New Member

He asked a reasonable thing, something that could be useful to all of us, though perhaps only periodically.

I can see that the reasons for this could be personal. Even admitting to having a sleeping disorder, such as the opposite one (sleeping too soundly) would be a personal thing.

I would offer an answer had I figured any out.

15. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

Ok, I think I understand what you want, and I do it. It merely takes practice. Lots and lots of practice.

Having spent around 4 years off and on underwater, my concept of night/day is totally shot. As a result I only sleep for periods of time.

Anyways, you want to get to where at any time you wake up you will be alert, right? First things first, never use anything to wake up, no alarm, music, nothing. Look at the clock before you go to bed and mentally tell yourself when you want to get up, and do it. Get used to waking up to specific noises, for instance, a marching band could be playing directly outside my building and never bother me, but a footstep or creak other than natural wood creaks will wake me if I care.

Make your sleeping habits totally routine, go to bed at the same aproxiamate times, have the same sounds around you every time. Finally, or perhaps not, it takes a lot of practice and self training.

This may or may not work for you, I only give advise based off what I do. I can wake up at any time of the night and I'm pretty much always alert as needed.

Edit: One last thing, do not try to sleep "lightly" when you sleep, work on going to sleep and that's it. Sleeping lightly won't get you what you want.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

1. Find a Sinanju master and learn Sinanju from him.
    2. Become an infantry soldier on the front line of a war.
    3. Become a parent.

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

become a parent.

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

OOOHHHH...

sounds so mysterious... a frickin' NINJA... an assasin that can flip out and uppercut kids who open windows at the wrong time.. BWAHHAHA

run don't walk to this website!!!

http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm

They may have what your looking for.

Most people get 6-8 hrs sleep... what are you on about? lol.

Sleeping 'lightly' will run you down over time. Read up on sleep and what it does for you. Your body needs REM sleep (rapid eye movement sleep) to get rest. Without it you are running yourself down over the long period.

:D

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

ok. seriously. i dunno why i'm actually saying this but...

don't sleep lying down. sleep sitting up. that will make you sleep light. that and the incredible pain in your neck and back.

20. bum-eyes

I was under the impression that most people needed 8-10 hours of sleep.