Learning nunchaku

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bellator Manus, May 30, 2004.

1. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Simple and to the point. Where/what do I need to do to learn them and what style is it taught as?

2. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

You don't "need" any style. Most are freestylers. If you want traditional training most Okinawan schools use them, as do most all Karate and TKD schools.

3. Bellator Manus

OK, thanks.

4. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

train your wrist, grips, forearms and shoulders

5. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

I'm not sure if TKD use them. It depends on the school. The school i train under uses no weapons at all.

For starters you will need the equipment, and you will need lots of self dicipline and patience if you intend to learn on your own.

6. Nerevar

Start out with light wood. That way you get a little pain when you do something wrong so your not developing bad habits (you wouldn't feel it if you used foam, then when you upgrade to something harder you would batter yourself.) Go for technique over speed, don't think your gonna' pick 'em up and swing 'em like Bruce Lee of the bat.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

simple yet effective method of learning to use nunchaku: get to a proper MA class that teaches them. nunchaku are dangerous and hurt like hell if you get summat wrong with them, a proper instructor will teach you how to use them safely. theres still a good chance that you will hit yourself, but it is safer to learn any MA, and especially weapons, from an instructor, so get to a class and do what the instructor tells you. and remember, in a MA class, there isnt stuff like TVs, and computers, and other expensive stuff thats easily broken, unlike at home :)

8. Nerevar

Nunchaku is as much a weapon as Yoga is a MARTIAL art. Lets face it, Nunchaku are a new form of yo-yo, which also used to be a weapon. Now go to a Dojo and learn some proper yo-yo techniques before you harm yourself!

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I think kyokyushinkai does some nunchuck work. Plus some other styles of karate.
    My advice is the same- go see a qualified tutor.

10. Bellator Manus

I don't intend to learn on my own. I just needed to know what type of school to look for.

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

as KE says, some styles of Karate do weapons training, KKK (as KE says), Isshinryu (i think) as well as others. Kobudo (Okinawan weapons) does a lot of nunchaku work, kobudo_tob could tell more. some WMA (western martial arts) have something similar to nunchaku, as Louie has posted somewhere else.

hope that helps slightly :)

12. b33p

b33p New Member

Is there any particular book you would recommend for home use, i have nunchukas and would like to learn by myself the proper use of them. In my martial arts now i am studying long and short stick, but would like to also learn nunchuka at home, please could you email me some links to sites or any books you recommend.

My email is lilpapachicosmum@Hotmail.com

please send it to this email as i may be away for a while and wont be able to check forums

13. MsDwee

MsDwee New Member

We've been learning nunchuka for the last few weeks in our lau gar class, and my friend and I each bought a cheap (foam covered) set off our instructor. Strangely enough they seem to be different to the ones we are using in class, heavier, though I'm glad they're foam covered as I'm still very much at the bashing-myself stage.

Both my friend and I have found that, as we're girls and have quite small hands, the chain is too long and it needs a link or two taking out. Does anyone know how to go about that? Is there anywhere that would do that, or should I just ask my dad to do it with a hacksaw next time I'm home?

I realise that I probably could buy a pair that is sized to my hand from the start, but at my current stage, there really isn't any point - I may be bored with them in a couple of months!

14. b33p

b33p New Member

are they 8 inch or 12 inch

15. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Quite funny, but untrue, my friend. The Nunchaku, if used properly, is a VERY deadly weapon. I am not talking about those ridulous attempts of nunchaku made of foam and chain (or even plastic), I am talking about good ol' fashioned Japanese Red Oak with tough 'string' for joining. Admittedly, as my one friend put it, Nunchaku are the 'cool factor of Karate' but if the person knows how to use them (i.e striking with just the tip of the weapon, as oppose to whacking the guy like you see in the movies) they are very useful for crushing wrists, breaking bones and in some extreme cases, breaking katanas. :eek:

Most Okinawan Karate schools teach Nunchaku as part of their system, but it is usually taught at higher levels (not straight to beginners) The alternative is to find Kobudo school near you (you live in the USA, it shouldn't be hard :p )

16. UKscrapper

UKscrapper I kick ass therefore I am

The nunchaku is an excellent weapon to train with and I have been practicing with a foam nunchaku for about 6 months. It is a good looking weapin for demonstration. I have learned everything about the nunchaku from a training DVD and yes it has required some self discipline to actually sit down and watch the different change overs on the DVD and then practice them. However it is very rewarding.
    The nunchaku is a very powerful weapon and is pernicious in the hands of the novice that is why it makes me cringe when someone who has never practiced with a nunchaku goes out and gets a hardwood or metal one just to mess about with.
    I have no doubt that on the street a nunchaku would be as damaging as a baseball bat particularly a solid metal nunchaku.

17. Bellator Manus

A pretty neet test me and a friend of mine did with the foam nunchaku was a little sparring. I had learned some from online and my friend ha never seen one in action. He had a little stick about the length of his large pocket knife. The very 1st hit I got on him, he didn't even think he was in range. I popped him right on the face before he could react. We did this for awhile he never found a way he could touch me with his knife. Or even defend agaist my stikes. Now, he hasn't taken any MA before, (neither did I at the time), but he was not a bad fighter. That should give you an idea of how good a weapon they are in the street.

18. InsaneSocrates

InsaneSocrates New Member

with any weapon and the right evasion skills, timing, and knowledge of your opponents weapon you can win.. and even psychology.. I.E. you are standing bout 3 feet away from a guy with a pistol of some type, your armed with a katana, one thing you can do is look at the trigger(or if u really are focused look at the tendons on his wrist if you can iwouldnt know because i am a stoner)when u see a change surprise him and move to the left depending where you and him are positioned and where he is aiming, then slice off his hand.. but with some knowledge of fighting, you should be able to adapt

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  19. RazorKaine

RazorKaine Valued Member

Initially, wear a helmet. :)

20. kotr

kotr New Member

Be careful not to whamp your nanchucks into your balls. One of the students in my class nearly went sterile after he lost control with the sticks.