Learning Escrima/Arnis in Philippines

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Kongzi, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Kongzi

Kongzi New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a month off from work and was thinking about heading to the Philippines. In my ideal world, I would love to hang out on the beach, write my book and maybe have some partying AND someone to teach me escrima the whole month, preferably three times a week or more.

Can anyone recommend a place where this ideal could happen, or at least a good teacher who does affordable one on one teaching if it's not near the beach? Also what rates can I expect?

Thanks a lot for advice!

F

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Do you already study Eskrima?

The guys in the Phillipines are very accomodating, but when we've sent students out there they have been made to master the basics before being allowed to move on.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Cebu. Go to cebu. Ask Pat the Cat how.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Pat's details here.

5. shootodog

Due to the OPs low post count, the PM system won't work. I'll go get him...

Hey Pat! They're stealing your rattan!

***waits***

6. shootodog

Simon, don't you think this will get more hits over at fma?

7. Kongzi

Kongzi New Member

Hi guys,

thanks for the answers. I have been doing escrima on and off (work, :( ) for about 6 months, so I got some basics covered. Forgive me my lack of knowledge, but what is FMA?

Thanks

F

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Right where are they ****best mean scowel***

9. Pat OMalley

Mmm! Not a good start. Lol. FMA FILIPINO MARTIAL ARTS.

If you drop me an email I can point you in the right direction. If your on Facebook drop me a line at Tuhon Pat O'Malley and I can give you some great contacts.

10. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Pat is all knowledgeable in the FMA, but it all depends on where you want to train.. I have contacts in Manila, and cebu who teach the fma.. If I can be of help, let me know and Ill post some info once cleared with the POC in country

11. shootodog

Normally I'd say: come to Manila, but there is so much in Cebu. I do believe that there are teachers over at Bantayan Island (lovely beach. How Boracay was back in the 90s before the big resorts destroyed the island).

Pat, who's teaching at Bantayan?

12. Pat OMalley

not sure let me check and I'll get back to you. ;)

13. shootodog

Bantayan Island

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagine leaning your Eskrima here.

14. Kongzi

Kongzi New Member

Hey guys, awesome stuff! This IS exactly how I imagine learning my Escrima. :)

I'll drop Pat and email, but if you have more ideas, let me know.

15. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Moalboal, Cebu

Hi Kongzi, In my ideal world, I would love to hang out on the beach, write my book and maybe have some partying AND someone to teach me escrima the whole month, preferably three times a week or more. <

Moalboal - with the Doce Pares guys. I've been out there twice now and both times trained for the first two weeks at the Pangasama Beach Resort, which has a disco every Saturday night, although there is a party every night if you look (not hard to find ;-) ).

Check with Pat, or Facebook GM Percival Pableo (he has organised my taining both times I've been out there).

Bill Lowery

16. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I'm glad that this thread was created. I'm thinking of moving with boys in tow for a year or two to study. We're currently studying Judo and Kenpo. There is only one dojo that teaches Escrima in Albuquerque but it's hard to work him into our schedule. Anyway, thoughts on the best place in the Philippines? Also, if I could stay away from any place that associates with rooster [MAP's automatic filters got to this one, but it was obviously not intended as swearing] fighting that would be good as we are a family of vegans.

Thanks,

M

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  17. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Chicken Fighting ;-)

Difficult to find a place where Chicken fighting isn't happening; it's one of the top sporting activities in the RP!

As to schools; which bit of the RP are you planning on going to? All three main areas have people/clubs worth visiting.

Bill

18. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Thanks Laban.

That's disappointing to hear about the chicken fighting as I consider it a cruel, unnecessary sport and the thought of it makes my skin crawl.

Anyway, I have no preference but close to the beach would be nice.

19. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Moalboal! 2.5hrs from Cebu, south West of the island. One of the best diving araes in the RP, not far from White sands beach and Kawasan Falls. I have stayed at Panagsama Beach resort both times I've been out, and trained with the top guys from Doce Pares. If you are on Facebook look up Percival Pableo, he organised everything for me both times, and tell him I sent you :)

Bill

20. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Laban, thanks much. I'll look him up right now.