LDL cholesterol

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JKD_forever, Nov 13, 2005.

1. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is a good product for lowering bad cholesterol?
    Is it even beneficial to someone like me who exercises everyday?
    You know, just a thought.

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

What are your cholesterol levels like right now? That is what is more important than finding something that will lower it when it doesn't need changing.

3. microhard

microhard Valued Member

Did your doctor say something?

4. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Ad's right on. My husband and I were both in the military, where government regulations 'require' a certain cholesterol level. My husband was always in trouble because he could never lower his no matter what. In his case, the problem was related to his triglycerides. Me? I had horrifically high cholesterol levels, but my dr. told me I was OK, because I also had the second highest level of HDL ('good' cholesterol) that she had ever seen in her career.

Check with your Dr. before you worry about anything related to cholesterol levels. The LDL isn't always the problem: it's the ratio between the 'bad' cholesterol and the 'good' cholesterol. Diet and exercise help with both. Heredity/genetics plays a big role that you won't be able to change no matter what you try.

5. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

no i hadnormal hdl/ldl lvls last time i checked. I was wondering if there is something i can take like every day withouth any husle like multivits.
    can red rice be used all the time or not?

thx!

6. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Garlic (in food, or in tablets), Oatmeal (soluble fiber in general), Fish (hooray for salmon!), Olive Oil ("insert clever olive oil comment"), Veggies (big, colorful salads at least 3 times a week, emphasize the colors - red, orange, yellow, green, dark green).

Nothing spectacular, just smart, clean eating.

7. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

First off, dietary cholesterol does very little to affect your blood cholesterol levels. It gets digested. Your body makes all the cholesterol that is in your blood. The biggest way to reduce blood cholesterol is to make sure it is not reabsorbed in the intestines. The way to do that is to eat lots of grains, fruit and vegitables. Basically, the fiber that they contain traps the bile (cholesterol) and takes it out of your system as it passes.