Lau Gar Video Thread

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Banditshaw, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

blimey, very old school then. You must have been there when Master Yau made the additions to the forms/modified the syllabus in the 80's then?

Be fascinating to hear what you can remember... Where abouts did you train? I trained with Kevin Brewerton, but didn't start til about 1992.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. Adinho

Adinho New Member

I trained with Humphrey like i said back in the day and yeah I can remember it all But there really is not point in discussing as I am not qualified You really should talk to one of the guardians as they really are in the know.

Check this out
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY4tocGW15Q"]Just a tap - Honest ! - energy transfer strike - YouTube[/ame]
    outstanding capabilities

3. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

That is my Sifu doing the hitting and yes, it is horrible when he hits you like that.

4. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Ok nice short power, but did the guy who got hit have to over dramatize it like that :rolleyes:

It was a joke right?

5. Adinho

Adinho New Member

Actually it was not a joke A friend of mine was there. This guy in question does full contact. And my friend who was there, who is big guy had it done on him and he ended on all fours with the pure power of that punch. If you understand fa jing you would understand the concepts.

Look at him after the punch where his diaphragm was put into spasm he could not breath and the instructor hit on conception vessel to take the spasm away.

oh dear here we again :p

6. laugarfist

Unfortunately I can't recognise the guy getting hit so I can't comment on him personally but most people seeem to fold like that to one of those strikes.

7. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Booo The BKFA National videos have been removed :(

Any idea if they will be put back up LGF?

8. laugarfist

It was suggested I take them down. I will be able to do some clips of part of the forms though but not whole ones.

I try to avoid politics sigh.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  9. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Well if you read my post I said ........

I saw the power in the punch. But not enough to convince me that those movements by the guy holding the pad were warranted. Especially in that much of an overly dramatic fashion.

Tell dude to keep his day job.
    Leave acting to the pros.... :D

Now this is what confuses me....

:confused: :confused:

Whaaatttttt?

please enlighten the board how this is acheived?

10. Bassmonkey

LGF, that would be awesome, i really wanted to go but didnt have the dough (ha ha that rhymed!....i am SO alone :D ) Would it be possible for you to email me the videos at all?

Pretty please Mr Lau Gar Fist Sir :D :D

11. Adinho

Adinho New Member

If you have any understanding in traditional chinese medicine you would understand, I would of thought you would have covered this as you are learning a traditional style like hung gar.

The strike delivered is also known as sealing the breath or a symptom of it. The action of the palm strike hits the diaphragm that stops the spasm then running the palm up then down on the conception vessel runs the energy down to the Dante. I am not to sure how it works it just does.

And ask nicer next time and you might get a bit more information from the people who study this stuff in detail. :p

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  12. laugarfist

Ask Lau Guardian, he is the one doing the strike and one of the most qualified to answer.

13. 2step

2step Valued Member

i started my martial arts in lau gar, some of the sets shown in these videos are very poorly performed and overdramatised. the way i was taught to practise these sets was to imagine you were fighting a real opponent and keep the movements tight and controlled. nobody needs flowery punches. and yes i know i've talked the talk but not not walked the walk my club is currently setting up its own website with videos of some of the sets when its up and ruuning i wiil let you all know.

14. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

No disrespect to the Instructors. I realise sometimes things are played up a bit when it comes to video. No big deal.

If someone can explain what is going on with confidence, I would be interested.

15. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Be interesting to see more LG forms on the net - let us know when the videos are up.

Sadly it seems the BKFA have zero interest in sharing videos of any of their forms. Did they give a reason to you laugarfist as to why you should take them down? I'd have thought showing BKFA forms would be a great advertisement to them...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  16. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I think you discussing it would be extremely worth while actually, be nice to get an independant view from back in the day. If you are uncomfortable posting here, send me a private message - i'd be facinated to hear what you have to say about the development of the syllabus.

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

While I understand completely that Adinho may not be comfortable discussing things here, I just need to remind you of the tos and inviting outside contact:
    1.3 Inviting outside Contact:
    "Inviting" is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely.

18. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Um. I haven't done that? That seems to apply to where I (as the poster) am inviting people to contact me for info, presumably via external emails.

I've simply asked someone to PM me. Surely that isn't a TOS breach? Otherwise what on earth is the point of the PM function? You can use it, but you can't ask someone to use it...

19. herbert

herbert Valued Member

A strange one really, but BKFA have always been reluctant to release any video, especially on the web. Yet are preparing a full set of dvd's with the syllabus up to black.

Master Yau used to say that you should not show video or even sell video/dvd's as you "cannot learn from a video. if you want to learn Lau Gar then go to a recognised instructor who is qualified to teach".

Personally I agree that you cannot learn the subtlties from a video, and I understand that the dvd's are designed to "give guidance in correct form" rather than be for home learning.

I would love to post film of all the Lau Gar forms I know plus the ones i'm working on, but i'd probably get into trouble. That and the fact the rest of you would probably just give up training once you'd seen them done so well! :D :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  20. Bassmonkey

I think that the DVD thing is a 2 edged sword.

On one hand its useful if you are attending classes regularly and you are using them to help you train between lessons (would help if you instructor is BKFA as the DVD's will clearly be BKFA syllubus etc..)

On the other hand if someone just buys them for training without supplementing them with actual training then it probably wont be worth the purchase.