Lau Gar Video Thread

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Banditshaw, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

i think so, so i have heard they're doing everything as it stands in the syllabus!

2. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

It might be nice if you contributed to actual Lau gar lineage/technique discussion a bit more, rather than just coming on to sell us stuff?

3. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Full Length Video

here is the full length video of master yau!

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwpVzmlsvg[/ame]

4. BigWren

BigWren New Member

Could anyone tell me if Neville Wray is still with the BKFA?

5. BigWren

BigWren New Member

These sets are genuine. Taught by Master Yau himself, not in A CLUB SITUATION. They may not be familiar because you have not seen them before. John Russell does not perform them like Master Yau, nor I expect you do either! Enlighten us and let us see YOUR interpretation. Thanks.

6. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

Yes he is a guardian of lau gar

7. BigWren

BigWren New Member

Neville

Cheers, only I don't see much of him within the BKFA circles anymore. Has he taken a back seat nowadays?

8. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

It was I who brought up the syllabus DVD, not lauguardian. Nor did he bring up the cost or availability until asked. Now as this thread is a Lau Gar video thread this is the appropriate place to talk about it.

It would be nice to have to have his input on the other threads but it is his choice. Your message appears to be rather abrupt and rude (though that could just be a misreading of your meaning).

9. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

I agree, it would be nice to have more input from people of his stature, but as soon as the DVD's get mentioned, he is there like Russell Brand through a goth stripper.
    Why don't they contribute more?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. Freud > God

I think its very good a lau guardian such as kieth Thomas does not get involved into the politics of the style. Yeah i know i say quite a few things which are disrespectful but thats me...i do it for the banter, however i would never expect somebody much higher up in the association to say that, now you've seen the debates on here, how can you reply to posts from those such as tartovski without speaking your mind? When you do you get flamed for being arrogant or your words twisted.

Honestly much of what you guys say including you (with your references to the BKFA being a cult) is total rubbish, therefore what is the real point in 'contributing' when you guys will fail to understand the meaning behind the post but instead go off on how lau gar is fake or master yau made it up?

Classic example - when the gings were mentioned not too long ago, the first posts where along the lines of ''how come they wernt there before oh master yau has just added them in to make his style look more authentic''. Immediatly instead of trying to understand the 8 powers and 16 techniques people tried to dismiss them. If you don't know what they are then its not master yau's fault (or us in the BKFA), either you should take a closer look at the lau gar you study or begin to question whether your instructor actually learn't traditional lau gar.

11. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

You've struck the nail right on the head there son - I usually only post to try and get a rise out of the cult members, and maybe make a few pepole laugh - lighten up.

12. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

That's a very odd position to take, especially as the guardians mission is to "support, represent, promote and develop the style of Lau Gar Kung Fu as it is taught within the British Kung Fu Association for the benefit of current and future generations of students." (source - BKFA website)

Seems to me that the guardians are the very people who really should be involved in setting the record straight.

13. Freud > God

I think you forget where you are. THere is a difference between promoting the style and 'setting the record straight' on forums such as martial arts planet and between official websites or interviews or actual events. This is a forum site where it seems what ever is said must be incorrect in relation to the BKFA. I think in the circumstances it would be wise for guardians to not get involved. Lau Guardian has actually been very helpful imo, if somebody has a question and directly asks him, he seems to have an informative answer.

To be totally honest the record is pretty much straight, all my questions in regards to the forms, to certain changes, the 8 powers or even lau gar in general (including lineage) have all been answered by my instructor.

14. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I could see your point if there were lots of official interviews and websites where all this information was put up, but it's quite clear there isn't.
    The last official interview was in 1986, that makes the BKFA worse than Led Zeppelin when it comes to media coverage!!

If one of the guardians is going to post on public boards, I think it is fair that people will a)see his responses as official unless otherwise noted and b) want him to answer specific questions.
    As it is, it seems there has been zero response from the BKFA regarding the guangdong lau gar, or about the lack of evidence for jeremy yau's claim that his lau gar is the real deal.

15. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

So can i ask what his "straight" answer regarding the lineage is?
    AFAIK the best the BKFA have to offer is "Jeremy Yau never questioned it, so we don't question it" - a level of blind faith I am uncomfortable with.

16. Freud > God

Mate the guangdong lau gar itself doesnt have sufficient evidence, it has been questioned before. The BKFA do not need to respond to it until actual evidence is brought up giving solid proof that it has a strong lau gar lineage. Do that and then maybe you will get a response, but i very much doubt it is possible.

As far as the lineage, no i'm not telling you since you are just going to twist it, this is why i don't see the point in arguing with you. Every time i post you fail to see my meaning and make up your own from the post. Almost as bad as Fire-Quan.

17. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

wow. double standards time:
    person 1 says "i teach lau gar, i learnt it from my grandad" and that's ok.
    person 2 says "i teach lau gar, i learnt it from these people" and that's not ok?

If Jeremy Yau's claims are enough for the BKFA to beleive them, then Xiao Yong Ding must also have sufficient weight and should warrant investigation.

(for ease i'm ignoring the exernal sources that say Xiao Yong Ding is the lineage holder)

How can I twist it? Either there is evidence to back master yau's claims - or there isn't. Just one external source would do, just one. So far in about 3years of searching i've found none.

18. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Well the Guangdong Chinese martial arts fraternity believe that Xiao Yong Ding is the Lau Gar lineage holder (for want of a better term). Jeremy Yau has the backing of the BKFA who are basically all his students.

19. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

I trained in Lau Gar about 30 years ago with Steve Faulkner in Banbury - did about a year and a half (or less) - enjoyed it...

Started training nearly two months ago with Graham Abdulla in Buxton. Where I also learn Wado-Ryu Karate and Bushi Kempo Ju-Jitsu and where I teach Tai Chi and Personal Preotection/Karate Jutsu.

Graham is a great guy excellent instructor and obviously knows his stuff..

Now the question is - is the lineage kosher :)

My answer - who cares, it's fun to learn.

It's the learning and practicing that people should worry about. The obsession with 'where did it come from' serves no useful purpose for most martial artists. Yes if you are a pedant or a historian then it is of academic interest. But otherwise...

[RANT MODE OFF]

All the best.

Robert.

20. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

By the way - I do wish that there were videos of the Lau Gar forms available on the web - it would make learning so much easier...