Lau Gar Video Thread

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Banditshaw, Jun 5, 2007.

1. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Not wishing to start an argument between BKFA/non-BKFA but these are the better vids to use as comparison even though they are only short.

I say this as Master Yau introduced Lau Gar to this country and as far as I know taught all of the higher up lau gar teachers including the ones that have now left the BKFA.

Don't :woo: me Su Lin but in response to the one who suggested Mater Yau is a fake... For all I know he may be claiming a lineage that is not his (but I do not believe him to be). His kung fu is very real and he is very skilled.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I wont :woo: you (not yet anyway!:D)

I agree that the vids from those guys are of decent quality,even though they arent the full forms.

I also agree that Master Yau's Kung Fu looks very real and he looks to be a very skilled man too.

3. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

4. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

Never meant to imply that he is a fake, it's just something I alluded to. That there were known, so called masters that did this. UK Lau Gar seems to have a large following, is this do to a lack of other CMA styles in the UK?

jeff:)

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think it was more a case of Master Yau bringing kung fu over here when it wasn't so popular maybe. There are many kung fu styles and clubs in the uk,Lau just seems to have caught on ,Master Yau must have just tapped into something that proved to be popular in the UK.

6. laugarfist

Ah right, I don't get to wound up on message boards as meaning is often so hard to get accross clearly. And there are still well known masters who do this. Though more nowadays they seem to have a history, and skill, but are more content just to take money and give nothing of value in return.

Now there is a proliferation of Chinese martial arts in the UK but when Master Yau started he was one of the few and has managed to build one of the largest kung fu associations in the country. I think a part of this is due to the quality and standards put into place by the BKFA. For example no one in the bkfa can grade above brown sash unless they do it with Master Yau in Birmingham. And the black sash test seems to be getting harder all the time, ask Lau Guardian for the latest pass rates.

Add to that the fairly new Guardian structure and Lau Gar stands to remain of good quality evan after master Yau.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ok so back to the vids............. :)

8. laugarfist

Wow moderating us lot must be like hearding cats :D

I don't think there are many more vids out there.

I think its related to the topic to mention that the BKFA lau gar syllabus is copyrighted which may explain somewhat why there are not more vids. The syllabus is master Yau's so it is up to him what videos are produced for teaching. Still, that should not stop people doing clips of their forms etc?

Maybe I'll get the time to do a couple next week but don't hold your breath.

9. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

re 1st clip he needs to get some life in to him, not snappy enough , not enough impulsion , far to weak looking imo :D

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I split this thread from where the discussion on the copyright etc begins.I think that is a perfectly valid debate, but one which should have its own thread rather than sidetracking this resource video thread. :)

11. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

12. laugarfist

Yep as far as I know (and I know nothing about Hung Gar) that is the Dung Family version.

Cool form, it is one of those that I have learned and not practiced. :p

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I thought this was a Lau Gar video thread? ;)

14. laugarfist

A ha. Sneeky ain't we! :D

That is the Tiger Crane form that we do in the BKFA and while not on the Lau Gar syllabus is still taught and known (at least some what) by most of the guardians and higher grades.

It's a bit like the 5 animals form. Its their but again not a part of the official syllabus.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Is it unique to the BKFA or been taken from another style completely?

Them pesky BKFA'ers! :p

16. CFT

CFT Valued Member

I have read that one of the Lau Gar Guardians took the Tiger Crane form from Hung Gar and played it with a Lau Gar flavour. This is what the video should be demonstrating. This is actually an interesting point - the fact that there is a distinct signature to UK Lau Gar - which means that there is direction/systemisation of the style.

17. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

It would be interesting to see how they differ, and what Lau Gar "flavour" has been added.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Cheese and onion flavour I am hoping :D

Seriously though,is it only seen by the Guardians and high ranking BKFA people?

19. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Well it is pretty much the same sequence of moves as the Hung Style. But the way it's played has no Hung flavour at all. No power in the hands and the footwork is to be desired. Basically interpretive dance emulating the classic form. It's not the first time that form has been butchered in such fashion. Sorry to come across as harsh but that's MY take on it. That is what happens when instructors teach a form from a style and don't understand the basic mechanics of said forms style.

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm just not quite understanding why it has been added to Lau Gar tbh and agree with Bandit in that to take a form from another style more or less wholesale without studying the other style just seems a bit odd tbh.