Lau Gar terms

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by CFT, Aug 1, 2006.

1. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

What about that rarely done set thats not very long but not part of the syllabus and tanslates as 'free hand movement' or similar, was it 'gee yau sau fa' ? Practiced it a few times back in the day and it has opposite to normal wrist rolling movements, if you've done it you'll know what I'm on about.

Also curious about Ng Ying Kuen - not heard of that in LG before.

Is this list expanding to include more recently imported/created forms in addition to the those of long standing in the system, or new revelations from JY advised as original LG?

Should it also then include the 'LauGar-ified' John Russell version of the Hung Gar 'Tiger-Crane Mixed Appearance' - Fu Hok Seung Ying?

2. lauguardian

lauguardian Valued Member

5 animals has always been there, along with kwan do form and duel man form of empty
    hand V butterfly knives

the tiger/crane was just for intrest on a summer course long time ago

3. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Remember it well... most enjoyable one I attended.

4. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

@ Lauguardian, I have never heard of this one, when does it feature?

5. lauguardian

lauguardian Valued Member

Ive only seen it once, it was movments out of the Butterfly kinfe form with blocks and nimble foot work of the other guy, its a short form, I think it will be shown at this years nationals, there is also another dual man form with iron needle (like the fork without the 2 outside points) V Fork (there was a needle at the John Bright Club but it was nicked)

6. Angelsweet

Angelsweet Banned Banned

You must be old! haha! :D
    I remember this old form too.
    It was I believe the original first form, that was subsequently dropped from the syllabus.

Had alot of movements to the sides with the arms, and crossing of the arms to define centreline as in the beginning of SLT from wing chun.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Re-discovered this thread and moved to Resources as is a useful guide. :)

8. CFT

CFT Valued Member

I've had a look at the list again due to a recent request.

Wooy ceun cheung, wui syun cheung was translated as returning spinning spear at laugaurdian's suggestion. Taken as individual characters wui = return and syun = spin so it would seem correct. However, looking in my C-E dictionary the compound term "wui syun" means "rotation"; so really the form should simply be rotating or spinning spear.

Not having seen the form I can't make any other judgments. Does the form contain any recovery movements or attacks to the rear (wui ma)?

• Kay boon sau fa --> Gei Boon Sau Faat --> 基本手法 --> Basic Hand methods
    • Jorn Sau --> Jong Sau --> 樁手 --> Post hands
    • Charp Choi --> Chaap Choi --> 插捶 --> Thrusting punch
    • Gee yau bok gaik --> Gee Yau Bok Gik --> 自由搏擊 --> Free sparring/fighting.
    • Lin wan tak fa --> Lin Wan Tek Faat --> 連環踢法 --> Continuous kicking methods
    • Far Kuin --> Faa Kuen --> 花拳 --> Flower fist
    • Fai Loong Gee --> Fei Lung Zi --> 飛龍指 --> Flying Dragon fingers
    • Sup Sarn Sau --> Sup Saan Sau --> 十散手 --> Ten Separate Hands (actually 10 discrete hand/leg drills/exercises)
    • Lau Gar Luk Hup Kuin --> Lau Gar Luk Hup Kuen --> 劉家六合拳 --> Lau Gar Six Harmonies Fist (traditionally the 6 Harmonies are the coordinated linking of the 6 points: heel, knee, hip/waist, shoulder, elbow and wrist. Lau Gar harmonises 3 internal and 3 external aspects)
    • Bac Pye Jurn --> Baat Paai Zoeng --> 八排掌 --> Palms of the Baat Paai (8 Rows/Lines) Mountain 八排山)
    • Chiun Sum Toi --> Chyun Sum Tui --> 穿心腿 --> Heart Penetrating Kick
    • Lau Gar Darn Dough --> Lau Gar Daan Do --> 劉家單刀 --> Lau Gar single sabre
    • Lau Gar Soar Hou Kwun --> Lau Gar Sor Hau Gwun --> 劉家鎖喉棍 --> Lau Gar throat locking staff
    • Kwun Jorn Doi Chark - Gwun Jor Doi Chaak --> 棍阻對拆
    • Cern Woo Dip Do - Seung Woo Dip Do --> 雙蝴蝶刀 --> Double Butterfly Knives. Actually more poetic if it's called Woo Dip Seung Do, 蝴蝶雙刀
    • Bak Ging Gung --> Baat Ging Gung --> 八勁功 --> Eight Powers Practice
    • Lau Gar Pa Fa --> Lau Gar Paa Faat --> 劉家耙法 --> Tiger Fork form
    • Chûn Foun Dô Fa --> Syun Fung Do Faat --> 旋風刀法 --> Whirlwind Sabre set
    • Di dao Tang pye --> Dai Do doi Tung Paai --> 大刀對籐牌 --> Big Sabre vs. Rattan Shield
    • Ng ying kuin --> Ng Ying Kuen --> 五形拳 --> 5 animals fist set
    • Wooy ceun chung --> Wui Syun Cheung --> 回旋槍 --> Returning Spinning Spear
    • Gee Yau sau faat --> 自由手法 --> Free hand movement

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  9. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Chinese characters for the UK Lau Gar 8 power generation methods.

• Daan: Bounce ()
    • Yan: Stamp ()
    • Tou: Spit ()
    • Chum: Sink ()
    • Geng: Startle ()
    • Tor: Drag or Pull ()
    • Tun: Swallow ()
    • Chun: Shake ()

Note: 'stamp' as in 'mark or stamp of approval' like a wax seal.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  10. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

CFT posting re Lau Gar transliteration

Some excellent work there on your posting. You appear to have provided some depth and substance that is a bit lacking within the official syllabus, plus you have given an indication of correct pronouniation. Shame there isn't a 'complete works of Lau Gar' that includes for example an official full and comprehensive dictionary of all the moves, stances and gings for example along with thorough explanantions. Hopeless saying ask your Instructor, how many know all of this. Nobody wants to be spoon fed their Kung Fu and have all the work done for them, that would be wrong, but there are things in abundance that people would like to know. Well done.

11. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

Indeed JY could no doubt have typed this out in seconds 30 years ago and saved a lot of speculation as to the intentions of his market stall.

Can we expect this material to become part of the official online BKFA data soon, or will the BKFA wait to see if anyone picks any holes in it before official endorsement?
    I for one, will be holding back to see what happens.
    Must be some reason JY is unwilling to enter into this discussion and that there is no-one able to represent LG in his place.

12. CFT

CFT Valued Member

I think it was only fairly recently that the grading syllabus was removed from the BKFA website. I think most of the forms list was copied from there before they were taken down. Some additional forms in the list were suggested by UKLG practitioners. I think the Lau Gar Guardians that post on this forum have been pretty forthcoming and quite generous in their contributions. If they ever restore that part of their website I'd be quite happy for them to use the list in this thread. There are still a couple of the Chinese characters that I have niggling doubts about, but I'd say they were good enough for purpose. Sifu Yau would be the ultimate authority of course.

I'm not a LG practitioner but was looking into it a while back. As one of the more popular kungfu styles in the UK I thought it would be interesting to find out more about it. I wouldn't say that this list really has much depth at all, though hopefully it is a useful resource as a 'mere' list for UKLG practitioners.

What I'd really like is for some Lau Gar Guardians and sifus to provide a couple of sentences describing each form - the objectives of the form, the intent, what energies are trained; not a blow by blow account of each movement.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  13. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

There are/were the old official syllabus books with the forms in them (black and white pics of Jeremy Yau going through them) that show all the stances etc. no mention of jings though.

Um... surely being taught stuff like this is what you are paying for? I don't think being told what this stuff means counts as "spoon feeding" anymore than being shown the applications for forms.

That's a little harsh - I doubt he cares much for internet forums!

I'm sure we could have a bash - be totally non official though.

14. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

I don't think my knowledge base is good enough to do it justice so I'll look into it, talk to my instructors and then try to compile something. As long as I don't get side-tracked.

15. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Haha, anything you say would be un-official, by definition. Go on, you know you want to ... and I'm sure it will draw a response!

Good stuff! Well, you could start the ball rolling. Give a student's perspective as well as a teacher's perspective.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  16. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

How about:

Jorn Sau - See SLT in wing chun for details.

;)

17. CFT

CFT Valued Member

That was kerap! Try again :D

18. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

Lau Gar Luk Hup Kuin

Lau Gar Luk Hup Kuin --> Lau Gar Luk Hup Kuen --> 劉家六合拳 --> Lau Gar Six Harmonies Fist (traditionally the 6 Harmonies are the coordinated linking of the 6 points: heel, knee, hip/waist, shoulder, elbow and wrist. Lau Gar harmonises 3 internal and 3 external aspects)

And all that would mean ?????????

19. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Don't you know?! I'd of thought they teach you that in the BKFA.

God, even I know that, and I'm a non-bkfa kickboxing kevin lineage boy.

Three External Harmonies

* Shoulders co-ordinate with hips
    * Elbows co-ordinate with knees
    * Wrists co-ordinate with ankles

Three Internal Harmonies

* The mind/thought leads intention
    * Intention leads Qi
    * Qi leads strength

20. CFT

CFT Valued Member

You mean the 3 internal & 3 external? Better ask the LG Guardians. It is classical TCMA theory though (Sun Lu Tang so I've heard). The 3 external are the heel/wrist, knees/elbows, hips/shoulder pairings. Not sure about the 3 internal, could be the 3 dantien (upper, middle, lower).

The 6 Harmonies should be self evident though. Coordinating all of the major muscle groups in your body.

Just found out about the different interpretation recently.

EDIT: Wow, Tartovski beat me to it and in style too! Nice one.