Lau Gar - Some Historical Material Of Interest

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by WotEvaYuKanDo, Feb 18, 2007.

1. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Lau Gar - Some Historical Material Of Interest(1)

I have enjoyed reading the various Lau Gar threads. Apologies for starting another one but here is something hopefully sufficiently fresh (as far as this forum goes) to stimulate further thought and discussion. I was able this weekend to fish out a couple of old combat magazines which had Lau articles that had stuck in my head. I've scanned them and fixed up the character-recognition errors.

The material below is from a 1995 article by Tony Leung who ran a column called 'Roots of Kung Fu'

Enjoy

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Do you have any references for that? Or where I could get hold of the original article?

3. WotEvaYuKanDo

Double checking I see it is the 1995 November issue of COMBAT magazine. I have it here, but it scanned well (COMBATs tend to disintigrate) I don't think there are any copying errors in the above extract concerning 'Lau Jia Quan' (the rest of the column went on to discuss the author's Hung Gar/Southern Mantis school's training programmes.)

4. WotEvaYuKanDo

Lau Gar - Some Historical Material Of Interest(2)

Here are some extracts from an intervirew with Jeremy Yau conducted in 1989 by Bey Logan for Combat magazine. The interview was quite lengthy, and I'm unsure if there would be issues of copyright were I to post all of it, so here are the highlights as I see them vis-a-vis the more 'interesting' discussions held on Lau Gar in other threads.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  5. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

re:

Very interesting reading!! :)

6. CFT

CFT Valued Member

KeJia = Hakka

7. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

ditto :D

8. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

here we go again :D

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Erm,I think he is simply pointing it out for people who may not know what it means

10. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Shouldn't there just be a Lau Gar forum so that there can actually be some intelligent discussions in the KF forum?

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Most of us try and conduct intelligent conversations about Lau.Maybe the two posts of historical interests could be merged,not sure there needs to be two threads as could confuse matters?

There was a thread a while back about Lau Gar origins so maybe it could be tidied up a bit?

12. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Unfortunately, IME you're the only one I've seen that from, that says something.

13. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

It might actually be an idea to have a Lau Gar forum, there are always so many threads about it that it would probably warrant one.

Im certainly not complaining being a Lau Gar practioner myself, but I can see how it could get a bit frustrating for the non lau gar peoples.

Oh and CFT, thanks for the translation as i didnt know what keJia meant.

Mei Hua - Have you emailed the mods your request?

I hope that these articles will bring some.....closure.... to the lau gar threads that are often bandied about. The first article after all has alot of info on lineage and hopfully isnt just hearsay and conjecture.

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It doesn't need its own forum.

There is lots of discussion about it as it is a very popular style over here in the UK and lots of things to discuss.Maybe if people just thought about it first before creating new threads to see if they are required or not?

I just think merging is the answer in this case.

Lau doesn't warrant its' own forum.

And thanks Mei!

15. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Excellent stuff. Anymore of these?

16. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Well, with a Lau Gar forum it would be easier to lock it in one easy move. :D

BTW, I'm merging this thread and the other one... :)

17. WotEvaYuKanDo

Lau Gar does already have a lot of threads. So what? I think it is easier to find intelligent discussion if things are broken up a bit rather than wading through mega-threads that have several 'conversations' going on at once (of which 70% are acrimonious for reasons best left known to those involved.) I deliberately started a new thread!

18. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Because of alot of that BS, politics and infighting, there are those of us that avoid this forum and go elsewhere where it's more professional and stupidity like that doesn't exist.

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thing is Mei,you don't have to read the Lau Gar threads do you? Plus there is the Thread not for Lau Gar ,WC etc.

20. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

You mean the thread where Lau was brought up repeatedly?

No, I don't have to read, thus why I go elsewhere where there are discussions that don't involve alot of the Lau BS, I used to post in this forum more, now I pretty much stay out, it's not really worth coming here and seeing the same thing over and over and over in numerous threads.