Lau Gar Kung Fu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by 1druid1, Oct 30, 2003.

1. 1druid1

1druid1 New Member

Hi All

After doing Kickboxing with Rab Smith for two years, he is now starting to train us in Lau Gar. I am one of these people who likes to have a lot of reference material on hand for studying, unfortuantly I can not seem to find any books or videos on this system showing forms and techniques. Can anyone point me in the right dirtection?

Cheers

1druid1

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I don't think there is a lot about i looked for stuff when i first started but i didn't find anything.

3. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

There's a gap in the market.

Come to think about it, I can't think of any Lau Gar product at all.
    Some enterprising soul should do a few books and vids about the system, considering as it is very popular.

4. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

1druid1

Are you in Dundee? Rab seems to be a nice guy and of a high standard - he used to train in Lau Gar with my sifu. I fought him at one of our compos and he beat me 6-5.......doh!!!!

From what I know (and it's not much) I don't think Rab teaches the Lau Gar syllabus as I know it - the forms I've seen from Temple have been changed a wee bit.

We train in Hung Gar and Lau Gar on Mondays and Wednesdays up near Asda on the Kingsway.

Feel free to pop in some time....

Paul

5. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Hey paul i've been training in dundee.Haven't met u yet.I think.....................

1druid1, unless your wanting to see the Lau gar keun set (black sash in scotland lau gar which my not be included in ur syllubus) I have never come across anything else in the way of videos or books.It's a shame really.

6. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Hi Sub

I knew you had been up to class. I've obviously been at training when you weren't and vice versa.

I've not been getting up so much for the last 2 or 3 weeks for various reasons.

I'll be there on Monday though - and there's no class on Wed.

If you're up on Monday I'll show you some real gongfu.

:D

7. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

LOL.I will be.

Bring it on!

8. 1druid1

1druid1 New Member

Yeh, I have spent abot two weeks scouring the net for information, but cant seem to find much, the only stuff I can find are forms like Lau Gar Fist by David Lee. All I want is some info on the form, Chirp Choi (Chop Choy) not sure of the spelling, for reference material, as I am learning it at the moment. But since I go to Karate 3- 4 times a week and only Chinese Kickboxing / Kung-Fu once a week I get prone to forgetting some of the moves. So a visual aid would be nice!!

Regards

1druid1

9. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

The David Lee vids are actually of the "Lau Gar Kuen" form from Hung Gar. They are nothing like the Lau Gar forms that you will be learning.

Just pointing this out so you don't waste your cash.

Cheers
    Paul

10. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

You'd of thought that J. Yau would of had loads of videos and stuff out.
    I mean talk about commercial potential going to waste... Captive Audience.

Mind you maybe he has his reasons for not letting this stuff become available on an international level?

11. 1druid1

1druid1 New Member

We do one of the forms that David Lee has presented, Lau Gar Fist, and from what I can tell the form is the same as ours. But yep, I generally like to find stuff for free before I spend my money, lol.

12. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Have a look into Southern Praying Mantis syllabus. ;)

13. Ninestep

Ninestep grumpy old man

"Have a look into Southern Praying Mantis syllabus."

Chow Gar Tong Long, Chu Gar Gao, Jook Lum Tong Long, Lee Sing Jook Lum Tong Long, Tit Ngau Tong Long, Gong Sin Tong Long, Lee Gar ?? Which one?
    :)
    Cutting to the chase, are you saying that the first set in Yau's Lau Gar is in fact from one of the Tong Long styles?

14. Andy Murray

Nope, just suggesting a possibly productive path for research. ;)

15. Andy Murray

The form Chap Choy, Charp Coi, Charp Chui, Carp Cod whatever, is the third form in UK Lau Gar, not the first.

16. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Bet me too it Andy.

1Druid1 believe me you wo't find anything online or anywhere else in the way of videos for anything in lau gar (unless ur scotland lau gar and pratcie laugar keun as mentioned)

Believe me i looked. I think that it's really sad and that some lau gar folkes should get together and wirte a book/ video. Therere's so many aplications (IE joint locks, take downs) within the lau gar forms which are ommited by alot of clubs.

Liking JJ aswell this is really interesting to me and i'd like to do a bit of chi na in the future to improve my understanding of the lau gar forms.

17. stvn

stvn Valued Member

Chin Na in Lau Gar

I was reading over 'Comprehensive Applications of Shaolin Chin Na - Yang Jwing Ming' & saw a few tecniques which look as if they could be applied from patterns in the Jorn Sau form which I'm learning at the moment. These applications were not taught in class. The actual patterns were taught as strikes & blocks/parries.

I now have a few questions:

1. Is it worth while continuing to look into the Lau Gar forms for further 'alternative' applications such as Chin Na & throws etc?
    2. If these applications are in the forms, why are they not taught in classes?

[/list=1]

18. stump

stump Supersub

In response to your questions:

1, no not really. If you want to learn grappling and throwing go somewhere that teaches them, not someone who "finds" them in a form.

2, cos theres not there in the first place!!! I found a suplex in a kata a friend showed me..does that mean it was there? You'll find whatever you want in a form.....it allows your imagination to run wild. BUt in order to see them you have to know the thing in the first place. While interesting this reverse engineering is of little practical use. It's an exercise in human creativity.

19. Andy Murray

Re: Chin Na in Lau Gar

1. They are taught in some classes!

I seem to recall showing you some myself Stvn.

There is much to be gotten from forms. The very fact that it isn't spoon fed you is one of the most valuable things though. It develops your ability to analyse things for yourself, something which is of value in every walk of life and when experimenting with other arts.

Or so I have found from experience.

20. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I agree with stump to an extent if ur interested in grapplling etc then you should definately get into a grappling art like judo, ju jitsu etc.

But i would disagree in that

1. It's always interesting to look at chi na stuff. the trhows are not complicated and are more like take downs but are an important part of kung fu.

2. Why they aren't taught atother clubs?well many of them weren't taught in mine, but now i'm getting instruction by pretty much the top man in scotland in lau gar. He's really good.

Andy cleared something up for me there. I was pretty sure they did have thse aplications origannly but not 100%

I have edited this post so i have a chance to agree agree with what andy said. Yes.I to think it's important for a person to try and think of aplications for themselves (at a certain level) after being shown maybe one.Then ifthere are more complex ones they don't know show them later. I'm still learning new aplications and little bits of forms i have been praticing for years that really matter.And will do for a very long, long time.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003