Lau Gar DVDs White-Brown

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Talyn, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

Well, they're actually making good on their promise to get them all done this time.

Has anyone checked these out?
    Are they any good?
    Are there any more coming?

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

dont know but if you want to fund me ill record some up to third degree for you :)

3. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I bought the white-blue DVD when it was released. I won't buy any more. £16 each is extortionately high for the vid quality or the content. Just seems like making money to me, but no doubt i'm just being cynical as the money will benefit the trust (whatever that means).

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

does anyone actually know what the trust and guardians are making the money for

5. SpikeD

Secret Alien Spaceship Construction FTW. :)

I was told at one point it was for the construction of a dedicated Lau Gar HQ, how true that is/was i don't know because i was told that years ago.
    As a side note, I noticed on the BKFA site that Master Yau is holding a History, Philosophy and Psychology of Lau Gar seminar in May. The course is being held at Warwick Uni for £25 for a 3 hour seminar. I'm not sure how i feel about the cost of this, i understand that no-one's time is free and all that but i should expect the room to be filled and it holds 100 people. That's £2500 for a 3 hour talk. I'm pretty sure Master Yau is financially secure so i do not really understand why courses like this cost so much. When i factor in the travelling and food costs, this course will cost me close to £40.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

£25 is good for a 3 hour seminar. You're also not calculating venue costs into your calculations.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep the HQ idea was going around when I trained with him and the guardians were first brought into being………and that’s what a decade ago or more it must be a really expensive building lol

I remember years ago Master Yau telling me he didn’t really make any money from the art, I did the calculations: £20-30 pound per person for brown sash courses, 2 to 4 held each year, first aid courses same cost 2 or so a year held, coaching courses x 2 a tleast, all the above had to be attended before you could grade to black sash (some course you had to attend twice) £100 to £300 for black sash and above grading: 4 held each year, all held in his building where rent was very low, plus the two classes held there a week …thats not including the weekly payments from each club he received and there were hundreds of clubs around the county, plus membership and insurance payments….how he didn’t make a profit from that I do not know ;)

On a side note I am not knocking him, people will pay for a service and it’s a free country, but it’s a bit silly to say he is not making money from it and he was just doing it for the love of the art

8. SpikeD

@ SifuBen
    I seriously doubt the social science room in warwick uni costs £2500 for 3 hours!
    Also how is good defined? Because if it is regarding material or content then that becomes debatable, If it is due to the person giving the seminar, then that is a cop out. I personally like Master Yau and have much respect for him regarding MA in general and Lau Gar in particular. This, however, does not mean that i can't question the motives behind seminars like this that charge so much.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Again, £25 is not "so much"! Seriously, this is well below the market rate for a martial arts seminar, and any one off 3 hour course is likely to cost you more, even if it's just drawing for beginners.

10. SpikeD

Meh, that's a cop out and superficial, you're beginning to sound like the official spokesperson for the trust, for a start this is a talking seminar, not a physical one. If the intent was to educate the Lau Gar practitioners so as to forward their skills and lift the overall practitioners knowledge and understanding of Lau Gar and thus raise standards then the cost should be metered by the benefit to the style, not the benefit to the pocket.
    For a start, only a hundred places sucks; How many train Lau Gar in the UK? I would guess at closer to two thousand, so why not a bigger venue that holds 3-400 people and repeat the seminar a couple of times to give everyone in the style a chance to learn these things rather than just the few who have the time on that specific date and of course a spare £40-£50.

11. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

The syllabus dvd's DID need updating to be honest. When I did Lau Gar I had the old syllabus video that was converted to dvd from vhs and only went up to green sash.
    It took them a long time to produce the new dvd series. Shame to hear the quality is not so good.
    There's a Guardian Chin Na course on tomorrow I believe. 5hrs or so taught by Sifu Steven Burton for £25. To me that's value for money.

12. SpikeD

A 6 hour seminar that will almost certainly incorporate about 3-4 hours of actual physical tuition and a couple of hours of talk that includes self defence and the law, hell yeah that is worth £25. I've attended Chin Na courses held by steve before and he is an excellent teacher.

It kind of highlights the difference in cost to information/training between this and the History seminar. That and the sports hall will cost more than the social sciences room.

13. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

I agree, he certainly is. Although a bit sadistic LOL :hat:

14. NUKKY

NUKKY Valued Member

Am there now getting my hands twisted off!