Lau Gar Discussion

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Sub zero, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

Ng ying kuen in BKFA is lau gar and not hung gar, that is what i am saying. I made a mistake. Cleared up?

I doubt i'm practicing jorn sau differently but i bet i'm describing it a little different if anything although the way it is practiced has changed a little from the very early days.

What are you getting different answers from different people of? (to tartovski)

2. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Just re-read this thread and take your pick!! How many forms there are in Lau Gar, Which forms are in LG, Which ones were added by/altered by J. YAu... etc.

3. Freud > God

Oh right, well its all guess work anyway. I'm just saying what i've heard from a few senior people, its not like master yau has actually told me.

I just hope the syllabus DVD comes out soon, its taking ages. That could clear it up a bit.

4. Freud > God

lads we have had this debate. Bottom line is that all this internet searching is useless, if you want to make a claim and expect me to beleive it(such as yau's kung fu is fake or the other dudes is the real deal) go to china and get me the sources, speak to people. It willl be interesting what you find.
    Don't expect the internet to hand it on a plate to you. Go find records of Master Yau luk sau, then of his teachers and their teachers if you are really bothered. People are not going to just put all this stuff on some website are they? Its somewhere in the world though and if you try hard enough you will find the truth i bet (but sitting at your computer is hardly trying). The reason i am not convinced of the other guy is because he could only trace the lineage back to his teacher or something, remember the article? People even thought it came from choy gar or something too? |Tartovski if your convinced of him then post his lineage right upto Lau Sam and then provide your proof please.

5. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Oh dear.
    For about the 400th time: BURDEN OF PROOF FALLACY!!

Jeremy Yau makes the claim, it's up to him to back it up.
    You say the info is out there - then bloody well supply it.
    The fact he/you and the bkfa are unwilling or unable to do so shows what rubbish his claim probably is.

You tell us to go to china and look at sources - but isn't it ironic that the BKFA go to china every year oddly miss this opportunity to do exactly that? They could look up xiao yong ding easily enough, and yet they don't. God, If i thought i was the only master of a style and suddenly foundout it was alive and well in my homeland i'd jump at the opportunity to find out more, but all you lot seem to do is fob it off or deny it has any relevance - both reactions speak volumes.

You think Xiao Yong Ding isn't bone fide because he can't trace his lineage all the way back to 3-eyed lau? Oddly you igonre that neither can Jeremy Yau!

At least XYD has external people supporting his claim to be the lineage holder, it's interesting no-one does the same with jeremy yau.

6. Freud > God

I didnt say i ignore the fact master yau cannot. You assumed that.

But it was a nice post however i didnt ask that, i asked you to post Xiao Yong Ding's lineage. If you cannot then why are you so convinced of his lineage?

External people's support is not evidence now is it? Or has your extreme empirical view changed? At the end of the day we need evidence that is not opinions, we need sources thats what you have taught me my friend therefore i will ignore the fact Xiao Yong Ding has people supporting him, for the same reason i do not believe Angel Gabriel was a messenger for God just because Islam supports Christianity in the sense they both have scriptues on the subject.

7. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I am alot more convinced that his style is the lau gar of the five families styles seeing as a) it looks much like you'd expect it to and b) it is recognised as such by the authorities on southern martial arts in southern china.

NB of course this doesn't mean Jeremy Yau isn't teaching "lau gar" just that he isn't teaching THE lau gar.

if you going down the route of extreme sceptism, then no historical evidence will be good enough. how do we know the holocaust happened? i mean, it's just people *saying* it did...
    Historical facts are treated as such when there are lots of different sources supporting the same thing. we have external sources supporting XYD's lau gar as the lau gar from the 5 southern families.

Or to put it another way: how do we know Hung Gar is really hung gar? because everyone (to a point) agrees what is and what isn't "hung gar". we know that there are central forms to the style, and other forms ancillary to that. there is a concensus as to what is "hung gar" and what isn't.

When it comes to lau gar though - there is no consensus that jeremy yau is teaching lau gar, but there is (in china at least) consensus that XYD is teaching lau gar.

8. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

A while ago I mentioned that my Sifu was writing an article for Combat Magazine regarding Master Yau and Lau Gar Kuen. Well the first article has been printed in this months Combat Mag. Mainly an introduction it seems with more articles to come in the future editions. It looks like this article is to introduce Lau Gar to the uninitiated and give a low down on Master Yau. An interesting piece non the less with a few bits of info i didn't know and a bold statement at the end. I know that a couple of members on here were interested in reading this so i thought i'd give the heads up.

9. quanto

quanto Valued Member

The article does not bring any new info its just what is basically on the BKFA website,still doesnt prove any lineage apart from what Yau says.
    Who is your Sifu?

10. SpikeD

Not another 'prove it' post! Grrrr. :bang:

I learned a little bit more about Master Yau and his earlier days, and i expect I will learn more in the coming articles. As to who my Sifu is, He is the man whom wrote the article, Obviously. :rolleyes:

11. t0mmyth3cat

t0mmyth3cat New Member

Introduction

Hi, My real name is Andy, Originally from Leicester I now live in Milford Haven, West Wales, I began my training in Lau gar in October of 2008, under the instruction of Sifu and Guardian Jason Crabtree. I recently passed my Blue sash grading and obviously i'm now working towards my 3rd Kup Orange sash.

I was wondering, now i have your attention if anyone has a walk-through of Jorn Sau, as I've had to miss a couple of weeks with the bank Holiday and now having to look after my kids while the wife goes gallivanting, and am struggling to remember the order in which i should be doing things.

Many thanks for any help in advance.

12. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I have never heard of this Lau Ga Kuen except amongst UK circles and on this forum to be honest.

And I, live and breath Chinese martial art especially the Southern fists.

Just my 2 cents.

13. NUKKY

NUKKY Valued Member

you dont know what your missing....its the shizzle!

14. NUKKY

NUKKY Valued Member

dont worry about those type of replies andy,which bit you stuck on mate?

15. NUKKY

NUKKY Valued Member

welcome to map btw!

16. t0mmyth3cat

t0mmyth3cat New Member

Jorn Sau

It's mainly the fast section I'm struggling with, the slow section i can just about remember if I take 2 minutes to think about it first. I'm sure it will all come flooding back once i get back to class, but that doesn't help now does it? I wonder if someone somewhere in the world has done a photo walk-through?

I know Master Yau is in the process of making the second DVD for Lau Gar syllabus, any idea when orange to green will be available?

17. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

Hold on, I believe its release is imminent

18. t0mmyth3cat

t0mmyth3cat New Member

Oh excellent, i'll bide my time then.
    Thanks for that.

19. t0mmyth3cat

t0mmyth3cat New Member

Would anybody out there have an instructional on how to tie my sash? I'm working through the grades quite nicely now but have never been shown the corrct way to tie it, Does master Yau like it done a particular way? or is it down to sifu how it's tied? Please help.

20. SpikeD

Just don't tie it like this ffs. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2iFnIaww0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2iFnIaww0[/ame]